Windows XP x64 install on ASUS K8V Motherboard - Dual Boot

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Sam, Dec 15, 2007.

  1. Sam

    Sam Guest

    I'm having a heck of a time trying to install XP x64 as a dual boot. I
    currently have Windows 2000 on my c drive. I would like to install XP x64 on
    my D: drive. I have never used RAID and will continue not to at this point. I
    have tried the following drivers without success: Promise FastTrak
    378/tx4000, VIA HyperionPro.

    Here is how far I get using the drivers. Boot from the Windows XP CD. Press
    F6/S to load the drivers. The driver is accepted, and Windows loads. I get
    past the last prompt before installation, and I get "Setup did not find any
    hard disk drivers installed on your computer?" Hit F3 to exit. Huh, it just
    accepted the driver?

    Anyway, something else must not be set up correctly. Old BIOS? BIOS setting
    wrong? HDs are not connected properly? When booting to Windows 2000,
    everything is great, I see the D: drive just fine.

    Can anyone help? Thanks!

    Sam, Dec 15, 2007

  2. Sam

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Sam:
    You don't need to install drivers by hitting F6 if ypu're not using
    raid. The error that youre getting is that the drivers installed after
    hitting F6 were 32-bit drivers not 64-bit drivers or the wrong drivers for
    the chipset. Have a great day.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64

    Dennis Pack, Dec 15, 2007

  3. Sam

    Zootal Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote in message
    > I'm having a heck of a time trying to install XP x64 as a dual boot. I
    > currently have Windows 2000 on my c drive. I would like to install XP x64
    > on
    > my D: drive. I have never used RAID and will continue not to at this
    > point. I
    > have tried the following drivers without success: Promise FastTrak
    > 378/tx4000, VIA HyperionPro.
    >
    > Here is how far I get using the drivers. Boot from the Windows XP CD.
    > Press
    > F6/S to load the drivers. The driver is accepted, and Windows loads. I get
    > past the last prompt before installation, and I get "Setup did not find
    > any
    > hard disk drivers installed on your computer?" Hit F3 to exit. Huh, it
    > just
    > accepted the driver?
    >
    > Anyway, something else must not be set up correctly. Old BIOS? BIOS
    > setting
    > wrong? HDs are not connected properly? When booting to Windows 2000,
    > everything is great, I see the D: drive just fine.
    >
    > Can anyone help? Thanks!

    What happens if you do *not* press F6 to load drivers? What kind of ide
    controller do you have? Is it on the mother board, what kind of mother board
    is it?

    Zootal, Dec 16, 2007
  4. Sam

    Andy Guest

    On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 14:09:00 -0800, Sam
    <> wrote:

    >I'm having a heck of a time trying to install XP x64 as a dual boot. I
    >currently have Windows 2000 on my c drive. I would like to install XP x64 on
    >my D: drive. I have never used RAID and will continue not to at this point. I
    >have tried the following drivers without success: Promise FastTrak
    >378/tx4000, VIA HyperionPro.
    >
    >Here is how far I get using the drivers. Boot from the Windows XP CD. Press
    >F6/S to load the drivers. The driver is accepted, and Windows loads. I get
    >past the last prompt before installation, and I get "Setup did not find any
    >hard disk drivers installed on your computer?" Hit F3 to exit. Huh, it just
    >accepted the driver?
    >
    >Anyway, something else must not be set up correctly. Old BIOS? BIOS setting
    >wrong? HDs are not connected properly? When booting to Windows 2000,
    >everything is great, I see the D: drive just fine.

    You're not loading the correct driver for the disk interface and/or
    OS. Setup will accept any driver, but if the driver is not appropriate
    for the disk interface, it won't do anything. What kind of hardware do
    you have?

    Andy, Dec 16, 2007
  5. 1.) do NOT use the promise - it only works as a RAID controller, not in
    non-RAID configuration.
    2.) If you want to use the VIA, you can use it in non-RAID mode - you just
    need to set that in the BIOS. I'm running an A8V Deluxe still as my main
    workstation - it dual boots between XP x64 and Vista 64. I use the VIA SATA
    controller, but in non-RAID mode. (It works in RAID mode as well, just
    doesn't require it.)

    3.) If you're using pure IDE, you don't need to use any drivers at all - and
    by hitting F6, you're forcing Windows to try to use the drivers it finds on
    the floppy, and if those aren't the right ones, you're out of luck.

    4.) There are 10 different Asus K8V motherboard models. Each has a slightly
    different mix of features and hardware. If you want more specific
    information, you'll need to tell us which K8V mobo you have. Then we can
    help.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 16, 2007
  6. Sam

    Sam Guest

    If I don't press the F6, I get the same... "Setup did not find any hard
    drive...".

    My mother board: ASUS K8V
    IDE controller: VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
    Hard Drive1: C: Western Digital WD36 SCSI
    Hard Drive2: D: Segate ST312002 6AS SCSI

    More info. on the motherboard:
    http://dlsvr02.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock754/k8v_basic/e1529_k8v.pdf

    Thanks for responding!

    Sam, Dec 16, 2007
  7. Hi,
    use a F6 SCSI driver disk instead of VIA / Promise, depends on your scsi
    controller.
    jk

    Juergen Kluth, Dec 16, 2007
  8. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Thanks again for all the responses. To answer a few of the questions asked:
    Charlie, more info on my mobo can be found here:
    http://dlsvr02.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock754/k8v_basic/e1529_k8v.pdf
    It's just the ASUS K8V mobo (no extensions like "deluxe" or "SE").
    Andy, what hardware do you mean? I've provided a link for more info about my
    mobo, the controllers, and HD's.

    What I gather, is I need to use the VIA controller, not the Promise. Does
    this mean I need to make a change inside the box. Changing the the SATA
    cables from the Promise controller to the VIA controller? Please excuse me,
    I'm not real savvy about computer hardware. I did build this computer, so I
    do know a bit.

    To give you an idea of how I setup my Windows 2000 OS. I installed from the
    CD, hit the F6/S and installed the Promise Windows SATA378 controller.
    Everything installed great on the C: drive. I have the D: drive designated
    for data on one partition and would like to install XP x64 on the other
    partition. When I try to install Windows XP x65, I F6/S to install the HD
    controller, (I've tried both the Promise and VIA). The Promise drive installs
    one time. I then get past the msg about confirming the Windows install, but
    then get the msg: "Setup did not find and hard disk...".

    Are there any BIOS settings I need to check? I noticed the Promise
    (FastTrak) driver package includes a BIOS update. Do I need to install the
    new BIOS?
    http://www.promise.com/support/file/driver/fts150tx4_windrv_amd64_v1.00.1.39.zip

    Thanks again.

    Sam, Dec 16, 2007
  9. Yes, it means you need to use the VIA SATA connectors. That means you need
    to unplug from the Promise connectors on the mobo and plug in to the two
    SATA connectors right next to the VIA VT8237 chip. There are two SATA
    connectors there, marked "SATA1" and "SATA2". use those two. Do NOT use the
    two closer to the corner of the board marked "SEC_SATA" and "PRI_SATA". They
    use the Promise controller and will NOT work in non-RAID mode.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 17, 2007
  10. Oh, and to answer your question again, even though it's covered in my
    earlier answer. Once you've connected to the VIA SATA controllers, use the
    F6 drivers from VIA. Do not use the ones from Promise.

    You can, if you wish, disable the promise in the BIOS, but there is no need
    to do so. Just don't use it or try to load its drivers.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 17, 2007
  11. Sam

    Carlos Guest

    And that would be:
    http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock754/k8v-x/VIA_RAID_64(WHQL).zip
    dated June, 2005

    Audio drivers for XP x64
    http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock754/k8v-x/ADI_64(WHQL)_SiS_VIA_ULi.zip

    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 17, 2007
  12. yes, though sometimes there are newer ones on ViaArena. ;)

    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=2&CatID=2560&SubCatID=143

    VT8237 v2.20A drivers.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 17, 2007
  13. Sam

    Carlos Guest

    I had forgotten about the Hyperion package in ViaArena.
    It is been long since the last mobo I used (a Soyo one) had VIA chipsets.
    Moved to nForce since then in all of its incarnations, nForce2, nForce3,
    NForce4 and NForce 550.
    Thanks for the reminder.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 17, 2007
  14. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Again, thanks for everyones help.

    I switched the SATA connectors from the Promise to the VIA. Now when I boot
    I get "BIOS not detected". I can't get into the BIOS to change the boot order
    so I can boot from CD (it was all setup to boot from CD until I switched
    controllers). When I switch back to the Promise, everything is good. I'll do
    some googling, but if anyone has a quick solution, I'm all ears.

    Also, how is switching from Promise to VIA this going to affect my current
    Windows 2000 OS? Remember, I still want a dual boot (XP x64 and 2000). I
    assume I will need to install the VIA drivers for Windows 2000? I'll get
    those ready on a floppy just in case. Really can't do anything however until
    I can boot from CD/DVD.

    Thanks,

    Sam, Dec 17, 2007
  15. Sam

    Carlos Guest

    Sam,
    Are you sure your disks are SATA (small connector) and not IDE (wide flat
    cable)?
    If they are IDE, I don't think Win2k will have much trouble in detecting its
    boot drive again?
    If they are SATA, it will all depend on Win2k having the SATA drivers
    previously installed.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 17, 2007
  16. Switching is going to throw off his boot drive, for sure. There's no easy
    way to do this, given that there are no Promise drivers for x64.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 17, 2007
  17. Yup. I still have an Asus A8V Deluxe here, with an Opteron and 3 GB of RAM
    as my main workstation. Nothing fancy. An elderly ATI 1600 card. And only
    the built in audio. But this machine is mostly for writing, and it's main
    need is to run dual monitors and have really good networking. The pair of
    Intel dual port server grade NICs takes care of that. ;) This was actually
    the very same machine I first built for running XP x64 beta, 3 years ago
    now. It's on its third processor, and has moved from 1GB of RAM to 3 GB. And
    various other parts have come and gone. But it's still a rock solid machine.
    And the Opteron 185 is quite adequate for this use.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 17, 2007
  18. Sam

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    You seem to be fond of Intel NICs.
    Is there any particular reason why I should discard the onboard NVidia NIC
    and use a, lets say, PCI Intel NIC?
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 17, 2007
  19. uh, because it works?

    Well, for one thing, the Intel NICs don't require two drivers (a buss driver
    and a NIC driver) to work. And they're remarkably stable. Intel is very good
    about drivers. And the better Intel NICs, especially the Server grade NICs,
    are just plain faster with lower overhead on the CPU.

    OTOH, if you're happy with the built in one? use it. I generally use the
    built in ones for my lower priority networks and plug in a dual port Intel
    NIC for the important ones. (I run at least three subnets at all times here.
    One that's my main "corpnet", one that's my "example net", and one that I
    can use to bypass anything that's broken and still get out to find the fix.
    In addition, depending on what I'm testing, I may well have a private
    cluster network and an MPI network up and running as well.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 17, 2007