    says something like "Cannot connect to P2P server.."

    Can anyone tell me what this is and how it can be remedied?

    Addie
    Admiralla, Apr 19, 2004

  2. Admiralla

    Thor Guest

    check for file sharing programs, and spyware. P2P usually means some sort of
    peer-to-peer file sharing software, such as that used to share music files,
    and other software. Kazaa, Morpheus, Ezula, Napster, etc. are examples of
    this type of software. There are also many other lesser known programs.

    Thor, Apr 19, 2004

  3. Admiralla

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Admiralla" <> wrote in

    > I have a friend that created her own desktop on her new computer
    > (using Windows XP) and ever since she did so, she keeps getting this
    > message that says something like "Cannot connect to P2P server.."
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what this is and how it can be remedied?
    >
    > Addie

    Thor gave you a good explanation of the P2P world. You should avoid P2P
    (s) as it is a sure way of getting a machine compromised quickly by
    malware.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Apr 19, 2004
  4. Admiralla

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Duane Arnold <> wrote in

    > Thor gave you a good explanation of the P2P world. You should avoid P2P
    > (s) as it is a sure way of getting a machine compromised quickly by
    > malware.

    I've used almost every P2P program under the sun at some point, and have
    never had any of my machines or network compromised.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    DeMoN LaG, Apr 19, 2004
  5. Admiralla

    Duane Arnold Guest

    DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote in news:Xns94CFE858B6ECDWobbly@208.42.66.156:

    > Duane Arnold <> wrote in
    >
    >> Thor gave you a good explanation of the P2P world. You should avoid

    P2P
    >> (s) as it is a sure way of getting a machine compromised quickly by
    >> malware.

    > I've used almost every P2P program under the sun at some point, and

    have
    > never had any of my machines or network compromised.

    All I can say on this is that if one is somewhat concerned about the
    security of the machine or the network, then one tends to avoid the P2P
    (s). I have inexperienced people I know who ran out and started
    downloading the world who were back door-ed to death.

    I went to one P2P to see what all the fuss was about. I didn't like it at
    all and have never returned to a P2P to do anything. All the Top Guns in
    the Security NG(s) advise to avoid them at all cost.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Apr 19, 2004
  6. Admiralla

    Thor Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > "Admiralla" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I have a friend that created her own desktop on her new computer
    > > (using Windows XP) and ever since she did so, she keeps getting this
    > > message that says something like "Cannot connect to P2P server.."
    > >
    > > Can anyone tell me what this is and how it can be remedied?
    > >
    > > Addie
    > >

    > Thor gave you a good explanation of the P2P world. You should avoid P2P
    > (s) as it is a sure way of getting a machine compromised quickly by
    > malware.

    Only if you are irresponsible with it. It just depends on how knowledgeable
    one is about the threats out there, and how that translates to using P2P
    software.

    Thor, Apr 19, 2004
  7. Admiralla

    Plato Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > > Thor gave you a good explanation of the P2P world. You should avoid P2P
    > > (s) as it is a sure way of getting a machine compromised quickly by
    > > malware.

    > I've used almost every P2P program under the sun at some point, and have
    > never had any of my machines or network compromised.

    Dude. Yer a friggen geek and know what you're doing. You know NOT to
    install a trojan or back door program. The average home user tho has no
    idea and just clicks away. Heck, I've never ran a virus checker in the
    background and yo I've never been infected. Yes, I've had, on occasion
    unknowingly download a few but of course I'd take the 5 seconds
    it takes to manually scan the file, both before unpacking and then after
    unpacking. Even after that, if it looks the slightest bit suspicious in
    either file names or whatever
    I just delete it. In ten years I've never had any virus damage on my
    personal PC. Heck, first step even in email is to just download the
    headers where I also see the file size, any questionable mail gets
    deleted at the mail server so I dont even have to deal with it. Any mail
    with attachments that I didn't request gets deleted at the server level
    as well.
    Plato, Apr 19, 2004
  8. Admiralla

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Plato <|@|.|> wrote in news:4083edc2$0$1769$:

    > Dude. Yer a friggen geek and know what you're doing. You know NOT to
    > install a trojan or back door program. The average home user tho has no
    > idea and just clicks away. Heck, I've never ran a virus checker in the
    > background and yo I've never been infected. Yes, I've had, on occasion
    > unknowingly download a few but of course I'd take the 5 seconds
    > it takes to manually scan the file, both before unpacking and then after
    > unpacking. Even after that, if it looks the slightest bit suspicious in
    > either file names or whatever

    I had one of those lousy VBS scripts on my LAN at one point. My brother
    had friends over, and one of them was downloading porn via P2P. I awoke
    the next day to find all my MP3 were renamed without the .mp3 extension and
    there was ~2700 <artist - songname>.mp3.vbs files. After cleaning up, I
    asked what happened, and the friend said:
    "It said something like do you want to install a virus, and I clicked yes"

    Draw circle. Bang head.

    DeMoN LaG, Apr 19, 2004
  9. Admiralla

    Plato Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > I had one of those lousy VBS scripts on my LAN at one point. My brother
    > had friends over, and one of them was downloading porn via P2P. I awoke
    > the next day to find all my MP3 were renamed without the .mp3 extension and
    > there was ~2700 <artist - songname>.mp3.vbs files. After cleaning up, I
    > asked what happened, and the friend said:
    > "It said something like do you want to install a virus, and I clicked yes"

    See that new commercial for cisco web servers or somthing where a man
    and woman are talking about a worm they got on the network and the mans
    daughter comes out of his office and says "daddy I just downloaded this
    cool game".
    Plato, Apr 20, 2004