    rsync at the moment would do the job perfectly, However the box i need
    to rsync at the moment is a windows box, Does anyone know of a nifty lil
    app that would do the trick?
    Andrew, Oct 18, 2005

  2. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > I have not searched much yet, thought i would ask here first
    >
    > rsync at the moment would do the job perfectly, However the box i need
    > to rsync at the moment is a windows box, Does anyone know of a nifty lil
    > app that would do the trick?

    the situation

    i have many folders with thousands of files inside each, My source has
    been updated and there are now more there then my destination

    If i go to copy them windows will just over write (this usually isnt a
    problem but when you have a terabyte of data it wont exactly finish
    before deadline

    Need to rsync it to allow it to copy only whats new and whats changed
    Andrew, Oct 18, 2005

  3. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > I have not searched much yet, thought i would ask here first
    >
    > rsync at the moment would do the job perfectly, However the box i need
    > to rsync at the moment is a windows box, Does anyone know of a nifty lil
    > app that would do the trick?

    Actually

    it appears we have just discovered cwrsync... this should do the trick
    Andrew, Oct 18, 2005
  4. Andrew

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:14:46 -0700, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > SyncToy for Windows XP
    > SyncToy: the smart way to copy files

    Bugger. For a (naive) second there I thought MS might be supporting rsync.

    Oh well...

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Oct 19, 2005
  5. AD. wrote:

    > On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:14:46 -0700, Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >
    > > SyncToy for Windows XP
    > > SyncToy: the smart way to copy files

    > Bugger. For a (naive) second there I thought MS might be supporting rsync.
    >
    > Oh well...

    A tad hard for Microsoft to support someone else's code

    Microsoft is building RDC into Windows Server: Remote Differential
    Compression (RDC) is an advanced WAN-compatible compression technology
    that optimizes data transfers over limited-bandwidth networks. Instead
    of transferring similar or redundant data repeatedly, RDC accurately
    identifies changes within and across files ("deltas") and transmits
    only those changes to achieve bandwidth savings.
    Nathan Mercer, Oct 19, 2005
  6. Andrew

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 16:44:53 -0700, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    >> Bugger. For a (naive) second there I thought MS might be supporting
    >> rsync.
    >>
    >> Oh well...

    > A tad hard for Microsoft to support someone else's code

    Sounds like 'Not Invented Here'. Or is it just that pesky GPL license?

    Actually I reckon rsync should've had a BSD style license (or at least
    LGPL).

    > Microsoft is building RDC into Windows Server: Remote Differential
    > Compression (RDC) is an advanced WAN-compatible compression technology
    > that optimizes data transfers over limited-bandwidth networks. Instead of
    > transferring similar or redundant data repeatedly, RDC accurately
    > identifies changes within and across files ("deltas") and transmits only
    > those changes to achieve bandwidth savings.

    Sounds eerily familiar :)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Oct 19, 2005
  7. Andrew

    Peter Ingham Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > Andrew wrote:
    >
    >> I have not searched much yet, thought i would ask here first
    >>
    >> rsync at the moment would do the job perfectly, However the box i need
    >> to rsync at the moment is a windows box, Does anyone know of a nifty
    >> lil app that would do the trick?

    > the situation
    >
    > i have many folders with thousands of files inside each, My source has
    > been updated and there are now more there then my destination
    >
    > If i go to copy them windows will just over write (this usually isnt a
    > problem but when you have a terabyte of data it wont exactly finish
    > before deadline
    >
    > Need to rsync it to allow it to copy only whats new and whats changed

    Have a look at SyncBack.
    Peter Ingham, Oct 19, 2005
  8. In article <1129688781.3722be0c8533abad90534ae960f94bdc@teranews>,
    "AD." <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 16:44:53 -0700, Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >
    >>> Bugger. For a (naive) second there I thought MS might be supporting
    >>> rsync.
    >>>
    >>> Oh well...

    >> A tad hard for Microsoft to support someone else's code

    >Sounds like 'Not Invented Here'. Or is it just that pesky GPL license?
    >
    >Actually I reckon rsync should've had a BSD style license (or at least
    >LGPL).

    I saw an explanation somewhere that the FSF (or at least RMS) sees the
    GPL as usable as a strategic weapon. That is, open-source software that
    reinvents something that's already available in proprietary form (e.g.
    glibc) can be licensed under the LGPL, whereas software that introduces
    important new ideas, not already available in proprietary software,
    should be licensed under the GPL. That way no-one can (easily) make a
    proprietary copy of the innovation.

    >> Microsoft is building RDC into Windows Server: Remote Differential
    >> Compression (RDC) is an advanced WAN-compatible compression technology
    >> that optimizes data transfers over limited-bandwidth networks. Instead of
    >> transferring similar or redundant data repeatedly, RDC accurately
    >> identifies changes within and across files ("deltas") and transmits only
    >> those changes to achieve bandwidth savings.

    >Sounds eerily familiar :)

    Andrew "Samba" Tridgell did his PhD thesis on the remote differential
    compression algorithm he invented for rsync. He was the first to come up
    with a clever way to find the differences between two nearly-identical
    files located on physically different machines, without having to copy
    large parts of either file over the network to the other machine.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 21, 2005