    be called...

    Move file to new folder, and create link to the moved file at the old
    location.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Jan 5, 2006

  2. news.xtra.co.nz

    JC Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > I keep all my important files in "my documents" folder to make backups easy.
    >
    > Often, I just temporarily dump 'working' files onto my desktop while i am
    > currently using them so they are easy to find.
    >
    > But, then, if I want to move the 'Working file' into "My documents" (so it
    > is included in my backup), but wish keep a link to the 'working file' on my
    > desktop i have to do the following.....
    >
    > 1. Move the 'working file' from my desktop to 'My Documents'.
    >
    > 2. Open 'My documents' and find the original 'working file'
    >
    > 3. Right click the 'working file' in 'my documents', and click 'Send to
    > Desktop'
    >
    > Is there a way to do the above in one step? eg, is there some key
    > combination i can press that will do this when dragging the 'working file'
    > from my desktop to the 'my documents' folder? I guess , the operation would
    > be called...
    >
    > Move file to new folder, and create link to the moved file at the old
    > location.

    Move file to My Documents, right click it and choose - send to Desktop
    (create shortcut) ?
    JC, Jan 5, 2006

  3. "JC" <> wrote in message news:dphose$jpv$...
    > news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >> I keep all my important files in "my documents" folder to make backups
    >> easy.
    >>
    >> Often, I just temporarily dump 'working' files onto my desktop while i am
    >> currently using them so they are easy to find.
    >>
    >> But, then, if I want to move the 'Working file' into "My documents" (so
    >> it is included in my backup), but wish keep a link to the 'working file'
    >> on my desktop i have to do the following.....
    >>
    >> 1. Move the 'working file' from my desktop to 'My Documents'.
    >>
    >> 2. Open 'My documents' and find the original 'working file'
    >>
    >> 3. Right click the 'working file' in 'my documents', and click 'Send to
    >> Desktop'
    >>
    >> Is there a way to do the above in one step? eg, is there some key
    >> combination i can press that will do this when dragging the 'working
    >> file' from my desktop to the 'my documents' folder? I guess , the
    >> operation would be called...
    >>
    >> Move file to new folder, and create link to the moved file at the old
    >> location.
    >>

    > Move file to My Documents, right click it and choose - send to Desktop
    > (create shortcut) ?

    thats what i do now...i was looking for a shorter way thanks
    news.xtra.co.nz, Jan 5, 2006
  4. news.xtra.co.nz

    JC Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > "JC" <> wrote in message news:dphose$jpv$...
    >
    >>news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >>
    >>>I keep all my important files in "my documents" folder to make backups
    >>>easy.
    >>>
    >>>Often, I just temporarily dump 'working' files onto my desktop while i am
    >>>currently using them so they are easy to find.
    >>>
    >>>But, then, if I want to move the 'Working file' into "My documents" (so
    >>>it is included in my backup), but wish keep a link to the 'working file'
    >>>on my desktop i have to do the following.....
    >>>
    >>>1. Move the 'working file' from my desktop to 'My Documents'.
    >>>
    >>>2. Open 'My documents' and find the original 'working file'
    >>>
    >>>3. Right click the 'working file' in 'my documents', and click 'Send to
    >>>Desktop'
    >>>
    >>>Is there a way to do the above in one step? eg, is there some key
    >>>combination i can press that will do this when dragging the 'working
    >>>file' from my desktop to the 'my documents' folder? I guess , the
    >>>operation would be called...
    >>>
    >>>Move file to new folder, and create link to the moved file at the old
    >>>location.
    >>>

    >>Move file to My Documents, right click it and choose - send to Desktop
    >>(create shortcut) ?

    > thats what i do now...i was looking for a shorter way thanks

    Ops, I should read better, sorry.
    JC, Jan 5, 2006
  5. news.xtra.co.nz

    Jerry Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > I keep all my important files in "my documents" folder to make backups easy.
    >
    > Often, I just temporarily dump 'working' files onto my desktop while i am
    > currently using them so they are easy to find.
    >
    > But, then, if I want to move the 'Working file' into "My documents" (so it
    > is included in my backup), but wish keep a link to the 'working file' on my
    > desktop i have to do the following.....
    >
    > 1. Move the 'working file' from my desktop to 'My Documents'.
    >
    > 2. Open 'My documents' and find the original 'working file'
    >
    > 3. Right click the 'working file' in 'my documents', and click 'Send to
    > Desktop'
    >
    > Is there a way to do the above in one step? eg, is there some key
    > combination i can press that will do this when dragging the 'working file'
    > from my desktop to the 'my documents' folder? I guess , the operation would
    > be called...
    >
    > Move file to new folder, and create link to the moved file at the old
    > location.

    in XP your desktop is already in your my documents folder
    Jerry, Jan 5, 2006
  6. "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    > news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >> I keep all my important files in "my documents" folder to make backups
    >> easy.
    >>
    >> Often, I just temporarily dump 'working' files onto my desktop while i am
    >> currently using them so they are easy to find.
    >>
    >> But, then, if I want to move the 'Working file' into "My documents" (so
    >> it is included in my backup), but wish keep a link to the 'working file'
    >> on my desktop i have to do the following.....
    >>
    >> 1. Move the 'working file' from my desktop to 'My Documents'.
    >>
    >> 2. Open 'My documents' and find the original 'working file'
    >>
    >> 3. Right click the 'working file' in 'my documents', and click 'Send to
    >> Desktop'
    >>
    >> Is there a way to do the above in one step? eg, is there some key
    >> combination i can press that will do this when dragging the 'working
    >> file' from my desktop to the 'my documents' folder? I guess , the
    >> operation would be called...
    >>
    >> Move file to new folder, and create link to the moved file at the old
    >> location.
    >>

    > in XP your desktop is already in your my documents folder

    Nah, it's not , I changed the default location - and, i only backup stuff in
    my documents. Desktop contains lots of other shit.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Jan 5, 2006
  7. news.xtra.co.nz

    Impossible Guest

    "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message

    > "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    >> news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >>> I keep all my important files in "my documents" folder to make
    >>> backups easy.
    >>>
    >>> Often, I just temporarily dump 'working' files onto my desktop
    >>> while i am currently using them so they are easy to find.
    >>>
    >>> But, then, if I want to move the 'Working file' into "My
    >>> documents" (so it is included in my backup), but wish keep a link
    >>> to the 'working file' on my desktop i have to do the
    >>> following.....
    >>>
    >>> 1. Move the 'working file' from my desktop to 'My Documents'.
    >>>
    >>> 2. Open 'My documents' and find the original 'working file'
    >>>
    >>> 3. Right click the 'working file' in 'my documents', and click
    >>> 'Send to Desktop'
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way to do the above in one step? eg, is there some key
    >>> combination i can press that will do this when dragging the
    >>> 'working file' from my desktop to the 'my documents' folder? I
    >>> guess , the operation would be called...
    >>>
    >>> Move file to new folder, and create link to the moved file at the
    >>> old location.
    >>>

    >> in XP your desktop is already in your my documents folder

    > Nah, it's not , I changed the default location - and, i only backup
    > stuff in my documents. Desktop contains lots of other shit.

    Maybe this doesn't suit your working style, but instead of dumping
    your working files on the desktop, why not just drag and drop a link
    there to begin with? Right-click any file (or selection of several
    files) in Explorer, drag to the desktop, and you'll have the option to
    copy, move, or create a link -- easy as that.
    Impossible, Jan 5, 2006
  8. "Impossible" <> wrote in message
    > "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jerry" <> wrote in message

    >>> in XP your desktop is already in your my documents folder

    >> Nah, it's not , I changed the default location - and, i only backup stuff
    >> in my documents. Desktop contains lots of other shit.
    >>

    > Maybe this doesn't suit your working style, but instead of dumping your
    > working files on the desktop, why not just drag and drop a link there to
    > begin with? Right-click any file (or selection of several files) in
    > Explorer, drag to the desktop, and you'll have the option to copy, move,
    > or create a link -- easy as that.

    yeah good point -but at the time i don't know if i really want the files. i
    do a clean up every few days discarding/moving various stuff off the
    desktop.

    Maybe this is only a prob for me? i can't expect MS to develop bespoke os
    for me :)

    But, lately i have been looking at the way i backup and have been
    reorganising things to make stuff ASAP (a simple as possible) cos i am lazy.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Jan 5, 2006