Windows (XP) update can stuff up Zone Alarm and thereby your Internet Connection?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Seagull, Jul 12, 2008.

  1. Seagull

    Seagull Guest

    I lost the ability to connect to Xtra the other morning and after tearing a
    lot of my little remaining hair out, I rang the help desk and the tech said
    they had found Zone Alarm was trhe likely cause. Sure enough, killing ZA
    allowed connection again. I changed to Comodo with out too much drama but
    since then have had two friends ask for help when thay could not connect to
    their ISP. Again killing ZA fixed the problem.

    Finally today a email arrived from Zonealarm offering solutions (for those
    that can connect) So I thought I would post here in case anybody missed the
    messages. Only problem, I am over the data cap this month so it took a
    couple of hours to download the patched version of ZoneAlarm. (Groan!!)

    In article

    A number of consumers running Check Point's ZoneAlarm security software on
    Windows XP lost Internet connectivity Tuesday night after Microsoft released
    a patch for a potentially dangerous DNS flaw.

    The problem only affected ZoneAlarm customers who had their security
    settings on "high," according to a Check Point spokeswoman. Those with
    "medium" or "low" settings did not lose Internet service.

    Check Point offered two possible solutions, including temporarily
    uninstalling the patch or setting firewall setting to "medium." Check Point
    said it will soon issue a ZoneAlarm update with a permanent solution. The
    company also posted a more detailed workaround online.

    Microsoft released the update, known as KB951748, after Dan Kaminsky of
    IOActive and Paul Vixie of Internet Systems Consortium notified the Computer
    Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) of a basic flaw in the DNS standard that
    could lead to cache poisoning, and allows attackers to redirect Internet
    requests to wherever they want, including sites that engage in phishing or
    malware distribution.

    In addition to Microsoft, the list of Internet system vendors affected by
    the flaw includes Apple, AT&T, Cisco, D-Link, IBM, and Intel.

    Seagull, Jul 12, 2008