    problem has only started happening recently.

    Anyone any ideas what could be causing it?

    Matt
    Matt B, Mar 5, 2006

  2. Matt B

    Marful Guest

    How much RAM do you have?

    Have you ran disk defragmenter recently?

    Marful, Mar 5, 2006

  3. Matt B

    Matt B Guest

    On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 19:11:26 GMT, "Marful" <>
    wrote:

    >How much RAM do you have?
    >
    >Have you ran disk defragmenter recently?

    Hi -

    I have 512MB. It's a fast machine - less than 2 years old.

    I defragmented it last weekend, but that didn't improve it.

    Not trying to be funny, but I have slapped the case a few times
    recently, in order to reduce the noise of the fan (this helps for some
    reason).

    I don't suppose that could have shaken any hard drive connections
    loose or anything?

    Actually, that said, why would that slow down the the displaying of
    folder contents when all other disk operations appear normal.

    Matt

    Matt B, Mar 5, 2006
  4. Matt B

    Trax Guest

    Matt B <> wrote:

    |>Whenever I view a folder listing in Windows XP which contains a large
    |>number of files (say 250), it takes about 25 seconds to display the
    |>folder contents.
    |>
    |>For folders with smaller numbers of files (say 5), it's almost
    |>instantaneous.
    |>
    |>I have a fast, up to date PC that handles everything else fine. This
    |>problem has only started happening recently.
    |>
    |>Anyone any ideas what could be causing it?

    Just the single directory? if so look for a bad file name.
    too long, bad characters used, one or a few just not right.

    Trax, Mar 5, 2006
  5. Matt B

    Marful Guest

    "Matt B" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 19:11:26 GMT, "Marful" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>How much RAM do you have?
    >>
    >>Have you ran disk defragmenter recently?

    > Hi -
    >
    > I have 512MB. It's a fast machine - less than 2 years old.
    >
    > I defragmented it last weekend, but that didn't improve it.
    >
    > Not trying to be funny, but I have slapped the case a few times
    > recently, in order to reduce the noise of the fan (this helps for some
    > reason).
    >
    > I don't suppose that could have shaken any hard drive connections
    > loose or anything?
    >
    > Actually, that said, why would that slow down the the displaying of
    > folder contents when all other disk operations appear normal.
    >
    > Matt

    Would tend to agree if it was a connection problem it's either on or off but
    wouldn't hurt to check if only to rule it out.

    Check your system resources (ctrl alt del) and make sure nothing is eating
    those up.

    Is it a large drive, if so is there one partition or many?
    Marful, Mar 5, 2006
  6. Matt B wrote:

    > Whenever I view a folder listing in Windows XP which contains a large
    > number of files (say 250), it takes about 25 seconds to display the
    > folder contents.

    Usually caused by explorer extensions.

    > For folders with smaller numbers of files (say 5), it's almost
    > instantaneous.
    >
    > I have a fast, up to date PC that handles everything else fine. This
    > problem has only started happening recently.
    >
    > Anyone any ideas what could be causing it?

    Is there a difference in speed when you switch from detailed to list view?
    Did you (un)install some program that provides explorer "enhancements"
    recently?

    Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Mar 5, 2006
  7. Matt B

    old jon Guest

    "Matt B" <> wrote in message
    > Whenever I view a folder listing in Windows XP which contains a large
    > number of files (say 250), it takes about 25 seconds to display the
    > folder contents.
    >
    > For folders with smaller numbers of files (say 5), it's almost
    > instantaneous.
    >
    > I have a fast, up to date PC that handles everything else fine. This
    > problem has only started happening recently.
    >
    > Anyone any ideas what could be causing it?
    >
    > Matt

    Hi Matt. Open Task Manager\Processes, and pull the window
    over to one side of the screen.
    Now try to open that folder.
    Watch the Processes window to see what is using the CPU.
    Might give you a clue.

    -- bw..OJ
    old jon, Mar 5, 2006
  8. Matt B

    Matt B Guest

    On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 20:01:08 GMT, "old jon"
    <> wrote:

    >"Matt B" <> wrote in message
    >> Whenever I view a folder listing in Windows XP which contains a large
    >> number of files (say 250), it takes about 25 seconds to display the
    >> folder contents.
    >>
    >> For folders with smaller numbers of files (say 5), it's almost
    >> instantaneous.
    >>
    >> I have a fast, up to date PC that handles everything else fine. This
    >> problem has only started happening recently.
    >>
    >> Anyone any ideas what could be causing it?
    >>
    >> Matt
    >>

    >Hi Matt. Open Task Manager\Processes, and pull the window
    >over to one side of the screen.
    >Now try to open that folder.
    >Watch the Processes window to see what is using the CPU.
    >Might give you a clue.
    >
    >-- bw..OJ

    Marful, Trax, Walter, Jon -

    Thanks for the help. By looking at the Task Manager processes as
    advised I think I've solved the problem.

    Turns out that every time I open a folder, McShield.exe jumps to
    between 40% and 50%. Killing this process brings all folder loading
    times back down to less than a second.

    Web sources tell me that McSheild.exe is a background process of
    McAfee virusscan which checks all files for viruses. Given that the
    folders where I was particularly noticing the problem are filled with
    large (1 MB) plain text files, I can only think it was going through
    the complete text of each file to check for viruses / scripts.

    Things are now back to normal. I'll just have to live with no virus
    file scanning for the time being.

    Thanks again for the advice.

    Matt
    Matt B, Mar 5, 2006
  9. Matt B

    old jon Guest

    "Matt B" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 20:01:08 GMT, "old jon"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Matt B" <> wrote in message
    >>> Whenever I view a folder listing in Windows XP which contains a large
    >>> number of files (say 250), it takes about 25 seconds to display the
    >>> folder contents.

    snipped a bit

    >>Hi Matt. Open Task Manager\Processes, and pull the window
    >>over to one side of the screen.
    >>Now try to open that folder.
    >>Watch the Processes window to see what is using the CPU.
    >>Might give you a clue.
    >>
    >>-- bw..OJ
    >>

    > Marful, Trax, Walter, Jon -
    >
    > Thanks for the help. By looking at the Task Manager processes as
    > advised I think I've solved the problem.
    >
    > Turns out that every time I open a folder, McShield.exe jumps to
    > between 40% and 50%. Killing this process brings all folder loading
    > times back down to less than a second.
    >
    > Web sources tell me that McSheild.exe is a background process of
    > McAfee virusscan which checks all files for viruses. Given that the
    > folders where I was particularly noticing the problem are filled with
    > large (1 MB) plain text files, I can only think it was going through
    > the complete text of each file to check for viruses / scripts.
    >
    > Things are now back to normal. I'll just have to live with no virus
    > file scanning for the time being.
    >
    > Thanks again for the advice.
    >
    > Matt

    Well done that man. Thanks for coming back.
    there`s always a way <g>.

    --
    bw..OJ
    old jon, Mar 5, 2006
  10. Matt B wrote:

    > Not trying to be funny, but I have slapped the case a few times
    > recently, in order to reduce the noise of the fan (this helps for some
    > reason).
    >
    > I don't suppose that could have shaken any hard drive connections
    > loose or anything?
    >
    > Actually, that said, why would that slow down the the displaying of
    > folder contents when all other disk operations appear normal.
    >
    > Matt

    If you have a noisy case fan it may be no big deal. But YES big deal if
    it's the CPU fan. Regardless of getting the folders to open quickly, you
    should make sure your CPU is properly cooled. If it overheats you can
    get some of the weirdest behavior and then all of a sudden it won't do
    anything at all anymore.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 5, 2006