Windows XP + Sysprep

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by -=Chris=-, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. -=Chris=-

    -=Chris=- Guest

    Here's the shituation:

    Got a volume license for XP(corp install, no activation required).
    Installed it on a machine, updated to SP 1, it worked fine. Ran
    setupmgr.exe to create an answer file, then ran sysprep with the
    pre-activated, mini-setup, and PnP options, did a reseal. Imaged the
    machine(using Ghost 2003). Rebooted.

    After I rebooted, I can't get the machine to do anything after I login. It
    gets to the part where it normally loads the profile and desktop settings,
    and I get nothing, just the wallpaper and the mouse(ctrl+alt+del doesn't
    even work). I can boot just fine into safe mode, and reapplying the SP from
    safemode works fine.

    I've tried reloading XP and running sysprep without installing XP. I've
    tried rebooting and skipping the imaging process

    It seems quite obvious to me that something is taking place in the sysprep
    process that is screwing things up, but I can't find anything anywhere that
    points to anyone else having the same problem. If anybody out there has had
    this problem, and figured out what was causing it, I'd love to hear from
    them.

    TIA,
    Chris

    --
    Ignore the man behind the newsreader

    -=Chris=-, Jun 23, 2003

  2. -=Chris=-

    NEMISIES Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:55:10 -0500, "-=Chris=-"
    <2reply.com> wrote:

    > Here's the shituation:
    >
    > Got a volume license for XP(corp install, no activation required).
    >Installed it on a machine, updated to SP 1, it worked fine. Ran
    >setupmgr.exe to create an answer file, then ran sysprep with the
    >pre-activated, mini-setup, and PnP options, did a reseal. Imaged the
    >machine(using Ghost 2003). Rebooted.
    >
    >After I rebooted, I can't get the machine to do anything after I login. It
    >gets to the part where it normally loads the profile and desktop settings,
    >and I get nothing, just the wallpaper and the mouse(ctrl+alt+del doesn't
    >even work). I can boot just fine into safe mode, and reapplying the SP from
    >safemode works fine.
    >
    >I've tried reloading XP and running sysprep without installing XP. I've
    >tried rebooting and skipping the imaging process
    >
    >It seems quite obvious to me that something is taking place in the sysprep
    >process that is screwing things up, but I can't find anything anywhere that
    >points to anyone else having the same problem. If anybody out there has had
    >this problem, and figured out what was causing it, I'd love to hear from
    >them.
    >
    >TIA,
    >Chris

    Why the **** Did ya Use sysprep !! Was your System that bad u had to
    Use it ????

    Do a Sytem Restore !

    NEMISIES, Jun 23, 2003

  3. -=Chris=-

    -=Chris=- Guest

    === I was minding my own business when NEMISIES blurted out ===

    > On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:55:10 -0500, "-=Chris=-"
    > <2reply.com> wrote:
    >
    > Why the **** Did ya Use sysprep !! Was your System that bad u had to
    > Use it ????
    >
    > Do a Sytem Restore !

    Obviously you don't know anything about sysprep and what it was designed
    for.
    --
    Ignore the man behind the newsreader

    -=Chris=-, Jun 24, 2003