    flashes for a fraction of a second, nowhere near enough to read anything on
    the page.

    Any thoughts??
    LG, Jan 13, 2005

  2. LG

    Unk Guest

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 07:43:44 GMT, "LG" <> wrote:

    >I am trying to fix a friend's computer. When they brought it to me, they had
    >tried to install a new CD RW drive. The connections were wrong and when I
    >got them corrected, it started to boot up but then gives me this exact
    >message:
    >
    > "PRI MASTER HARD DISK: S. M. A. R. T. STATUS BAD, BACKUP AND REPLACE
    >
    >PRESS F1 TO RESUME"
    >
    >When I press F1, it tries to boot, but cannot even boot into normal, safe
    >mode, last known good configuration or anything else. I tried them all
    >before I came here. It ends up putting a "blue screen of death" but it only
    >flashes for a fraction of a second, nowhere near enough to read anything on
    >the page.
    >
    >Any thoughts??

    Unplug all the other drives, then try the HD by itself in IDE1. (Don't forget
    the jumper setting) If you get the same message, try IDE2. If you still get the
    message, see if the hard drive is readable as a slave in a good system. If you
    get the message again, the drive is fried. If not, the friend's MB is shot.
    Unk, Jan 13, 2005