    last thing I tried to open suddenly starts opening.

    Has anyone had a similar experience and is there a way for me to
    figure out what's causing my system to hang like this?

    Kyote, Dec 15, 2003

  2. Kyote

    Thor Guest

    Seems to me one of your startup apps is having trouble launching, and it is
    causing the problem you are observing. I would disable the background apps
    one by one with MSConfig, and then run the computer each time trying to
    reproduce that behavior. I think you will probably find one startup app that
    is responsible, and once disabled, the system will start up properly each
    time.

    Thor, Dec 15, 2003

  3. Kyote

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Kyote <> wrote in news:rcbqtv0niulc6v8epem36v4a2lp4dsb27k@
    4ax.com:

    > I have Windows XP Pro with all updates. My problem is that sometimes
    > when I start my computer everything seems to be starting ok except 1
    > or 2 of my startup programs doesn't put it's icon down in the system
    > tray near the clock. That in itself isn't the problem, only a symptom.
    > When it does this nothing I double click on opens. I can try to open
    > everything on my desktop and I get the hour glass for a few seconds
    > like it's trying to open the app but then the hour glass disappears
    > and I get nothing. The start menu opens instantly but nothing in there
    > will open either. I wish I could get task manager open so I could see
    > if something is running that's using all the processor or something
    > but I can't even get it to open. Then after about 2 to 5 minutes every
    > last thing I tried to open suddenly starts opening.
    >
    > Has anyone had a similar experience and is there a way for me to
    > figure out what's causing my system to hang like this?

    You can use Process Explorer or Prcview along with Active Ports to see
    what is happening and all are free and each one will allow you to
    terminate a tasks.

    Also use the *Auditing* features of XP itself to track what is happening
    on the machine. The link explains how and what to use to audit events on
    XP.

    Sounds to me like you machine has been compromised with some kind of
    malware.

    http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windowsxp.php

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 15, 2003
  4. Kyote

    Kyote Guest

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 07:20:11 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >Seems to me one of your startup apps is having trouble launching, and it is
    >causing the problem you are observing. I would disable the background apps
    >one by one with MSConfig, and then run the computer each time trying to
    >reproduce that behavior. I think you will probably find one startup app that
    >is responsible, and once disabled, the system will start up properly each
    >time.

    Thanks Thor. I'll give your suggestion a try. I didn't think it would
    work because it only happens occasionally, like 1 out of 4 or 5 times.
    But your right. I shouldn't have passed the idea up just because it
    foesn't happen all the time.

    Kyote, Dec 15, 2003
  5. Kyote

    Kyote Guest

    >You can use Process Explorer or Prcview along with Active Ports to see
    >what is happening and all are free and each one will allow you to
    >terminate a tasks.
    >
    >Also use the *Auditing* features of XP itself to track what is happening
    >on the machine. The link explains how and what to use to audit events on
    >XP.
    >
    >Sounds to me like you machine has been compromised with some kind of
    >malware.
    >
    >http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windowsxp.php
    >
    >Duane :)

    Thanks for your response Duane. I'd try your recommendation except
    none of the programs you recommend would open when I'd need them to in
    order to check what is causing it. But thank you for trying to help. I
    really appreciate it.

    Kyote, Dec 15, 2003
  6. Kyote

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Kyote <> wrote in news:taertv8o7f5gi9k0kmhcchkgn9l0fk3k5d@
    4ax.com:

    >>You can use Process Explorer or Prcview along with Active Ports to see
    >>what is happening and all are free and each one will allow you to
    >>terminate a tasks.
    >>
    >>Also use the *Auditing* features of XP itself to track what is

    happening
    >>on the machine. The link explains how and what to use to audit events

    on
    >>XP.
    >>
    >>Sounds to me like you machine has been compromised with some kind of
    >>malware.
    >>
    >>http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windowsxp.php
    >>
    >>Duane :)

    > Thanks for your response Duane. I'd try your recommendation except
    > none of the programs you recommend would open when I'd need them to in
    > order to check what is causing it. But thank you for trying to help. I
    > really appreciate it.

    Even at that, XP's Auditing features will run in the background tracking
    eveything that's happening on the computer, if enabled. Then you can use
    XP's log viewer and view the events (right-click a line) to see the
    detailed info on it. It may help you see the pattern of events and what's
    running that's causing the problems.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 15, 2003
  7. Kyote

    Frank Guest

    I've had (still have) same problem as you with those missing icons in the
    system tray. When you boot up and go thru POST, then come to the blue login
    screen, do not be in a hurry to click yourself on. Let it sit idle for 60
    seconds, and you'll then see your hard-drives activty light flicker away.
    Give it another 45 secs or so, then click yourself on. I'm willing to bet
    you'll now see all the icons that are supposed to be there. Sounds goofy and
    don't know why, but thats the only way I was able to eliminate the problem
    after fighting it for months.

    Frank, Dec 15, 2003