Windows XP SP3 and Wireless Provisioning Services (WPS)

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Thomas Creutz, Mar 29, 2008.

  1. Hi.,..

    i tested today SP3-RC for XP and I am now frustrated over MS:

    Why there is also Problems with interpreting the WirelessProfile Schema??

    I used the generaded Files from the "wireless installation assistant" and
    modified the file als follows:

    WSETTING.WFC
    ----------------------

    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <wirelessProfile
    xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/provisioning/WirelessProfile/2004">
    <config>
    <configId>000600D2-F0E3-4E50-ABFB-9C0BA895C7AB</configId>
    <configAuthorId>0B4E59B8-8317-46B2-B8C2-C46850162E6C</configAuthorId>
    <configAuthor>Microsoft Wireless Network Setup Wizard</configAuthor>
    </config>
    <ssid xml:space="preserve">home.lan</ssid>
    <connectionType>ESS</connectionType>
    <channel2Dot4>0</channel2Dot4>
    <channel5Dot0>0</channel5Dot0>
    <primaryProfile>
    <authentication>WPA2PSK</authentication>
    <encryption>AES</encryption>
    <networkKey xml:space="preserve">MYPASSKEY</networkKey>
    <keyProvidedAutomatically>0</keyProvidedAutomatically>
    <ieee802Dot1xEnabled>0</ieee802Dot1xEnabled>
    </primaryProfile>
    </wirelessProfile>

    But when i start the setupSNK.exe on the usb stick, I only get the error
    message: "Es wurden keine Informationen gefunden, die zum Einrichten des
    Netzwerks erforderlich sind bzw. die Informationen sind nicht verwendbar.
    Führen Sie den Assistenten erneut auf dem ursprünglichen Computer aus."

    Whats is whrong?? The XML File (WSETTING.WFC) is correct!

    Why SP3 not Ships this Support?! On Vista this Config works!

    Hello?! Microsoft?! Quick fix it!

    Thomas Creutz
    Thomas Creutz, Mar 29, 2008

  2. Thomas Creutz

    Pavel A. Guest

    XP has some limitations of the full (Vista) schema syntax, though I'm not
    sure
    what could be wrong in your xml...
    Take a look in the Native WLAN API section in MSDN, the difference may be
    documented there.

    Regards,
    --PA

    Regards

    Pavel A., Mar 29, 2008

  3. Pavel A. schrieb:
    > XP has some limitations of the full (Vista) schema syntax, though I'm

    Quote:
    -----------------------------
    Note The EAP methods supported in Windows XP with SP2 and Windows
    Server 2003 with SP1 are EAP-TLS and PEAP. 802.1X profiles created using
    this schema will use the default configuration parameters for these methods.

    Authentication modes of WPA2 and WPA2PSK are currently not supported in
    Windows XP with SP2 and Windows Server 2003 with SP1.
    -----------------------------

    WPA2 / AES and EAP is a limitation...?!

    LOL... thats is M$... buildung a standard/definition and not support it
    backwards to xp-sp3 when ms can add it!

    Thats why i not upgrade to vista... :-(

    Sorry!
    Thomas Creutz, Mar 31, 2008
  4. Thomas Creutz, Mar 31, 2008
  5. Thomas Creutz

    smlunatick Guest

    On Mar 31, 9:55 am, Thomas Creutz <> wrote:
    > Pavel A. schrieb:
    >
    > > XP has some limitations of the full (Vista) schema syntax, though I'm

    > Thats the definition from MS for XP (prev. called Windows Connect Now)
    >
    > http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/f/7/af7777e5-7dcd-4800-8a0a-...
    >
    > But now we get XP-SP3 and the definition not work .... ?!
    >
    > Thats suxxs!
    >
    > Thomas

    You must know that XP Service Pack 3 is still in test phases and has
    not been released for general "update" to Windows XP. It seems to
    still have problems.
    smlunatick, Mar 31, 2008
  6. Thomas Creutz

    Pavel A. Guest

    It seems that the new "native wi-fi" documentation -
    subset of which is the "Wireless LAN API for Windows XP SP2" -
    has it's own xml profile docum:

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms706585(VS.85).aspx

    and what you quote is older (WZC-based) profiles, known as WPS.

    However I don't know what tools can apply the native wifi style profiles on
    XP, besides of directly using the API.

    --PA

    Pavel A., Mar 31, 2008
  7. Thomas Creutz

    Pavel A. Guest

    "smlunatick" <> wrote in message
    > You must know that XP Service Pack 3 is still in test phases and has
    > not been released for general "update" to Windows XP. It seems to
    > still have problems.

    Release candidate 2 means feature complete.
    Maybe OP should contact the wireless networking team thru the Connect site,
    or XP Product support.

    --PA
    Pavel A., Mar 31, 2008
  8. Thomas Creutz

    smlunatick Guest

    On Mar 31, 12:19 pm, "Pavel A." <> wrote:
    > "smlunatick" <> wrote in message

    > > You must know that XP Service Pack 3 is still in test phases and has
    > > not been released for general "update" to Windows XP.  It seems to
    > > still have problems.

    > Release candidate 2 means feature complete.
    > Maybe OP should contact the wireless networking team thru the Connect site,
    > or XP Product support.
    >
    > --PA

    Release Candidate 2 may mean that the "features" are complete but does
    indictate that the "features" are all working. Until the time the
    service pack is "released to manufacturing", or appears in Windows
    Update, it should not be considered a "released" (aka complete)
    product. This would mean that the "test phases" are not complete.
    smlunatick, Apr 1, 2008
  9. smlunatick schrieb:
    > This would mean that the "test phases" are not complete.

    I can only hope, thats this things can be fixed...

    King Regards,
    Thomas
    Thomas Creutz, Apr 3, 2008
  10. Thomas Creutz, Apr 3, 2008