    SP2. I've checked the event log and there's nothing there to indicate what
    the error may be.

    Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    Whosamawotsit, Sep 25, 2004

  2. Whosamawotsit

    Harry Guest

    Whosamawotsit wrote:

    > I'm trying to install XP SP2 onto my father's PC from the disk that came
    > with PC World. Its a PC I built for him around 2 years ago, currently
    > running XP SP1, it has an Asus CUA motherboard which is based on an
    > all-in-one Ali chipset with a 800MHz Celeron and 256MB RAM.
    >
    > It gets to the stage of rebooting after installation and showing the XP
    > splash screen and then it quits - showing a BSOD for a fraction on a
    > second. To get his PC back up and running I had to boot into safe mode and
    > uninstall SP2. I've checked the event log and there's nothing there to
    > indicate what the error may be.
    >
    > Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    Dont install SP2.

    Harry, Sep 25, 2004

  3. It seems like Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:27:06 +1200 was when "Whosamawotsit"
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >It gets to the stage of rebooting after installation and showing the XP
    >splash screen and then it quits - showing a BSOD for a fraction on a second.
    >To get his PC back up and running I had to boot into safe mode and uninstall
    >SP2. I've checked the event log and there's nothing there to indicate what
    >the error may be.

    Right click on My computer > advanced > startup and recovery settings
    > uncheck automatically restart.

    At least now you'll be able to see what the BSOD says.
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

    Waylon Kenning, Sep 25, 2004
  4. On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:27:06 +1200, Whosamawotsit <>
    wrote in <news:4l75d.5206$>:

    > I'm trying to install XP SP2 onto my father's PC from the disk that came
    > with PC World. Its a PC I built for him around 2 years ago, currently
    > running XP SP1, it has an Asus CUA motherboard which is based on an
    > all-in-one Ali chipset with a 800MHz Celeron and 256MB RAM.
    >
    > It gets to the stage of rebooting after installation and showing the XP
    > splash screen and then it quits - showing a BSOD for a fraction on a second.
    > To get his PC back up and running I had to boot into safe mode and uninstall
    > SP2. I've checked the event log and there's nothing there to indicate what
    > the error may be.
    >
    > Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    A friend of mine had that very problem ...turned out to be a third party
    (A4Tech) mousedriver that was not compatible with SP2. May help ... or
    not.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    - Love is free. What you DO, isn't.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Sep 25, 2004
  5. On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:27:06 +1200, Whosamawotsit wrote:

    > I'm trying to install XP SP2 onto my father's PC from the disk that came
    > with PC World. Its a PC I built for him around 2 years ago, currently
    > running XP SP1, it has an Asus CUA motherboard which is based on an
    > all-in-one Ali chipset with a 800MHz Celeron and 256MB RAM.
    >
    > It gets to the stage of rebooting after installation and showing the XP
    > splash screen and then it quits - showing a BSOD for a fraction on a second.
    > To get his PC back up and running I had to boot into safe mode and uninstall
    > SP2. I've checked the event log and there's nothing there to indicate what
    > the error may be.
    >
    > Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    Check for spyware and viruses.
    Make sure the vid drivers and chipset drivers are recent.
    Check bios version.

    If still getting no where I'd make a slipstreamed Win XP CD with SP2 and do
    a reinstall..

    wogers nemesis, Sep 25, 2004
  6. Whosamawotsit

    Jax Guest

    Whosamawotsit wrote:
    > I'm trying to install XP SP2 onto my father's PC from the disk that came
    > with PC World. Its a PC I built for him around 2 years ago, currently
    > running XP SP1, it has an Asus CUA motherboard which is based on an
    > all-in-one Ali chipset with a 800MHz Celeron and 256MB RAM.
    >
    > It gets to the stage of rebooting after installation and showing the XP
    > splash screen and then it quits - showing a BSOD for a fraction on a second.
    > To get his PC back up and running I had to boot into safe mode and uninstall
    > SP2. I've checked the event log and there's nothing there to indicate what
    > the error may be.
    >
    > Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    Update BIOS !!

    Jax, Sep 25, 2004
  7. Whosamawotsit

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:33:18 +1200, Harry wrote:

    > Dont install SP2.

    But he has.

    Next please.

    Gordon, Sep 25, 2004
  8. Whosamawotsit

    Harry Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:33:18 +1200, Harry wrote:
    >
    >> Dont install SP2.

    > But he has.
    >
    > Next please.

    He said he uninstalled it. Compre?

    Next stupid comment please.

    Harry, Sep 25, 2004
  9. Whosamawotsit

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Whosamawotsit wrote:
    > I'm trying to install XP SP2 onto my father's PC from the disk that
    > came with PC World. Its a PC I built for him around 2 years ago,
    > currently running XP SP1, it has an Asus CUA motherboard which is
    > based on an all-in-one Ali chipset with a 800MHz Celeron and 256MB
    > RAM.
    >
    > It gets to the stage of rebooting after installation and showing the
    > XP splash screen and then it quits - showing a BSOD for a fraction on
    > a second. To get his PC back up and running I had to boot into safe
    > mode and uninstall SP2. I've checked the event log and there's
    > nothing there to indicate what the error may be.
    >
    > Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    No, but...

    I installed SP2 on my gateway machine and I thought all was well. Then,
    after a restart there was a oblong, like a dialog box, in the middle of the
    screen. However, although I could move it by dragging where you'd expect a
    title bar to be, it was unreadable. It only showed a portion what was
    on-screen immediately before, it didn't re-draw the box. Also, all my icons
    in the systray (I have about 14 there) were dissapearing and the process's
    associated with them were stopping (as far as I could tell).

    The unknown box wouldn't go away despite repeated reboots and defrags etc. I
    uninstalled SP2.

    Tualatin Celeron 1400Mhz 512MB RAM XP Pro SP1.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 25, 2004
  10. Whosamawotsit

    troglodyte Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:27:06 +1200, Whosamawotsit wrote:

    > I'm trying to install XP SP2 onto my father's PC from the disk that came
    > with PC World. Its a PC I built for him around 2 years ago, currently
    > running XP SP1, it has an Asus CUA motherboard which is based on an
    > all-in-one Ali chipset with a 800MHz Celeron and 256MB RAM.
    >
    > It gets to the stage of rebooting after installation and showing the XP
    > splash screen and then it quits - showing a BSOD for a fraction on a second.
    > To get his PC back up and running I had to boot into safe mode and uninstall
    > SP2. I've checked the event log and there's nothing there to indicate what
    > the error may be.
    >
    > Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    Yeah. Dump windows. go with linux. no virus thingies needed. dont even
    need a firewall. and screw update. dont need em. lol

    Am I converted guys or what ?

    troglodyte, Sep 25, 2004
  11. On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 00:08:01 +1200, troglodyte wrote:

    > On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:27:06 +1200, Whosamawotsit wrote:
    >
    >> I'm trying to install XP SP2 onto my father's PC from the disk that came
    >> with PC World. Its a PC I built for him around 2 years ago, currently
    >> running XP SP1, it has an Asus CUA motherboard which is based on an
    >> all-in-one Ali chipset with a 800MHz Celeron and 256MB RAM.
    >>
    >> It gets to the stage of rebooting after installation and showing the XP
    >> splash screen and then it quits - showing a BSOD for a fraction on a second.
    >> To get his PC back up and running I had to boot into safe mode and uninstall
    >> SP2. I've checked the event log and there's nothing there to indicate what
    >> the error may be.
    >>
    >> Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    > Yeah. Dump windows. go with linux. no virus thingies needed. dont even
    > need a firewall. and screw update. dont need em. lol
    >
    > Am I converted guys or what ?

    Well the virus thingee is so true though.
    Firewalls are always good.
    Every OS needs to be patched.

    You forgot to mention the price ;-) ... and the sacrifices...

    wogers nemesis, Sep 25, 2004
  12. Whosamawotsit wrote:
    > Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    have you checked that everything works with SP2 prior to doing the upgrade?
    a lot of nortons stuff doesnt work and causes BSOD

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 25, 2004
  13. Whosamawotsit

    Herb Garden Guest

    troglodyte wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:27:06 +1200, Whosamawotsit wrote:
    >
    >> I'm trying to install XP SP2 onto my father's PC from the disk that
    >> came with PC World. Its a PC I built for him around 2 years ago,
    >> currently running XP SP1, it has an Asus CUA motherboard which is
    >> based on an all-in-one Ali chipset with a 800MHz Celeron and 256MB
    >> RAM.
    >>
    >> It gets to the stage of rebooting after installation and showing the
    >> XP splash screen and then it quits - showing a BSOD for a fraction
    >> on a second. To get his PC back up and running I had to boot into
    >> safe mode and uninstall SP2. I've checked the event log and there's
    >> nothing there to indicate what the error may be.
    >>
    >> Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    > Yeah. Dump windows. go with linux. no virus thingies needed. dont
    > even need a firewall. and screw update. dont need em. lol
    >
    > Am I converted guys or what ?

    You will get over it grasshopper
    Your next stage of enlightenment awaits you.

    Herb Garden, Sep 25, 2004
  14. Whosamawotsit

    ~misfit~ Guest

    nz.comp.linux proposal. Was: Re: Windows XP SP2

    troglodyte wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:27:06 +1200, Whosamawotsit wrote:
    >
    >> I'm trying to install XP SP2 onto my father's PC from the disk that
    >> came with PC World. Its a PC I built for him around 2 years ago,
    >> currently running XP SP1, it has an Asus CUA motherboard which is
    >> based on an all-in-one Ali chipset with a 800MHz Celeron and 256MB
    >> RAM.
    >>
    >> It gets to the stage of rebooting after installation and showing the
    >> XP splash screen and then it quits - showing a BSOD for a fraction
    >> on a second. To get his PC back up and running I had to boot into
    >> safe mode and uninstall SP2. I've checked the event log and there's
    >> nothing there to indicate what the error may be.
    >>
    >> Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    > Yeah. Dump windows. go with linux. no virus thingies needed. dont
    > even need a firewall. and screw update. dont need em. lol

    ******************************

    WARNING!!! The below contains sarcasm as well as several attempts at humour.
    Please read with this in mind. Also though, I feel it raises a valid point.

    ******************************

    Arrrgggghhhh! No! Not another poster who ignores the question and preaches
    instead.

    BTW Tidds, going by the amount of posts you've put up sorting your system
    out, if everybody followed your advice (and the knee-jerk advice of a few
    others here), this group would become inundated with massive amounts of
    posts asking how to install various *things* (you penguin-heads don't call
    'em apps do you?) for various distros. We'd for sure need an nz.comp.linux
    newsgroup. Actually, it mightn't be a bad idea anyway, over half the posts
    (by my rough reckoning) here are linux related anyway. That's certainly
    justification for a new newsgroup. Then all of us Windows users (All hail
    the mighty Bill!) and hardware gurus wouldn't have to wade through oodles of
    posts like yours (I know it was tongue-in-cheek) everytime we check the NG.
    Also, it would make it a darn sight easier for anyone wanting info specific
    to linux as all the penguin-shaggers would hang out there and leave this
    group for us less deviant types. And if and when I decide to learn more
    about the dark side I could go to a group specifically for the subject and
    find a whole bunch of radid head-nodders prepared to help.

    Anyone know how to propose a new group and think it's good idea?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 26, 2004
  15. Whosamawotsit

    Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 23:26:39 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > The unknown box wouldn't go away despite repeated reboots and defrags
    > etc. I uninstalled SP2.
    >
    > Tualatin Celeron 1400Mhz 512MB RAM XP Pro SP1.

    Perhaps SP2 doesn't like being overclocked. Perhaps.

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."

    , Sep 26, 2004
  16. Whosamawotsit

    Guest

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 00:08:01 +1200, troglodyte wrote:

    > Yeah. Dump windows. go with linux. no virus thingies needed. dont
    > even need a firewall. and screw update. dont need em. lol

    Actually, you should ALWAYS use a firewall. It is an essential piece of
    your armour helping to protect you from unwanted access to your
    computer.

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."

    , Sep 26, 2004
  17. Whosamawotsit

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    Re: nz.comp.linux proposal. Was: Re: Windows XP SP2

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 11:08:24 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >Anyone know how to propose a new group and think it's good idea?

    I'm against it, on principle anyway. Linux users aren't the problem,
    it's just incidental that the crop of newsgroup abusers happen to be
    mostly Linux zealots. The real problem is the attitude & behaviour of
    a few people, and I think it's that which needs to be addressed.

    When you look at the characters who have been butting into threads etc
    & pissing everyone off, it's the same few people who have been doing
    it for years. Worst offenders are Steve Withers & David Murray aka
    Divine IMO. Then there's a small group who jump on the bandwagon
    whenever someone gets on their pulpit, but overall this lot who wreck
    things are a very small minority indeed. They certainly are not
    representative of Linux users, and segregating the NG would just spoil
    things for all those Linux people who use this NG fairly......and
    there's a lot more of them than there are MS haters.

    What's also worth noting with many of these characters is they do it
    with every newsgroup they post in, not just this one. Here they're OS
    zealots, in other NGs they preach something else. It's the same old
    story you get with everything in life. There's always a few selfish
    assholes who come along & spoil things for everyone. In everyday life
    these guys would get their arses kicked if they kept butting into
    other peoples' conversations all the time, but that isn't so easy to
    do on usenet so they keep getting away with it.

    My view is that everyone needs to focus on the right problem, which is
    the unacceptable behaviour of a very small number of people and not
    the actual content of their posts. Whenever the Linux zealots bust
    into a thread about Windows, people involved in the thread tend to
    leap to the defence of their own OS. Basically everyone tries to
    reason with these guys, to argue & debate points. And they can't be
    reasoned with, if they could they wouldn't be preaching in the first
    place. Take a look at "Divine's" posts, with his M$ instead of MS, his
    use of Windoze instead of Windows & his many other affectations. Can
    anyone seriously believe they can reason with a guy like that?

    Really everyone has to stick up for themselves & their right to use
    this newsgroup, and keep telling these people to piss off out of
    conversations which don't concern them. Don't try & argue with them,
    don't give them any opportunity to justify themselves or preach some
    more. Just tell them to piss off, suitably phrased in terms that suit
    one's own personality. They'll get the message if enough people here
    are prepared to stick up for themselves.

    Cheers

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, Sep 26, 2004
  18. Whosamawotsit

    Harry Guest

    Re: do as i say not as i do

    Gavin Tunney wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 11:08:24 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >>
    >>Anyone know how to propose a new group and think it's good idea?

    > I'm against it, on principle anyway. Linux users aren't the problem,
    > it's just incidental that the crop of newsgroup abusers happen to be
    > mostly Linux zealots. The real problem is the attitude & behaviour of
    > a few people, and I think it's that which needs to be addressed.
    >
    > When you look at the characters who have been butting into threads etc
    > & pissing everyone off, it's the same few people who have been doing
    > it for years. Worst offenders are Steve Withers & David Murray aka
    > Divine IMO. Then there's a small group who jump on the bandwagon
    > whenever someone gets on their pulpit, but overall this lot who wreck
    > things are a very small minority indeed. They certainly are not
    > representative of Linux users, and segregating the NG would just spoil
    > things for all those Linux people who use this NG fairly......and
    > there's a lot more of them than there are MS haters.
    >
    > What's also worth noting with many of these characters is they do it
    > with every newsgroup they post in, not just this one. Here they're OS
    > zealots, in other NGs they preach something else. It's the same old
    > story you get with everything in life. There's always a few selfish
    > assholes who come along & spoil things for everyone. In everyday life
    > these guys would get their arses kicked if they kept butting into
    > other peoples' conversations all the time, but that isn't so easy to
    > do on usenet so they keep getting away with it.
    >
    > My view is that everyone needs to focus on the right problem, which is
    > the unacceptable behaviour of a very small number of people and not
    > the actual content of their posts. Whenever the Linux zealots bust
    > into a thread about Windows, people involved in the thread tend to
    > leap to the defence of their own OS. Basically everyone tries to
    > reason with these guys, to argue & debate points. And they can't be
    > reasoned with, if they could they wouldn't be preaching in the first
    > place. Take a look at "Divine's" posts, with his M$ instead of MS, his
    > use of Windoze instead of Windows & his many other affectations. Can
    > anyone seriously believe they can reason with a guy like that?
    >
    > Really everyone has to stick up for themselves & their right to use
    > this newsgroup, and keep telling these people to piss off out of
    > conversations which don't concern them. Don't try & argue with them,
    > don't give them any opportunity to justify themselves or preach some
    > more. Just tell them to piss off, suitably phrased in terms that suit
    > one's own personality. They'll get the message if enough people here
    > are prepared to stick up for themselves.

    Bad advice.
    To advise people to tell other people to "piss off" makes you just
    one of the same.

    Just ignore things that you don't like.
    What is so difficult about that?

    Harry, Sep 26, 2004
  19. Whosamawotsit

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Bret wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> troglodyte wrote:

    >>> Yeah. Dump windows. go with linux. no virus thingies needed.
    >>> dont even need a firewall. and screw update. dont need em. lol

    >> ******************************
    >>
    >> WARNING!!! The below contains sarcasm as well as several attempts at
    >> humour. Please read with this in mind. Also though, I feel it raises
    >> a valid point.
    >>
    >> ******************************
    >>
    >> Arrrgggghhhh! No! Not another poster who ignores the question and
    >> preaches instead.
    >>
    >> BTW Tidds, going by the amount of posts you've put up sorting your
    >> system out, if everybody followed your advice (and the knee-jerk
    >> advice of a few others here), this group would become inundated with
    >> massive amounts of posts asking how to install various *things* (you
    >> penguin-heads don't call 'em apps do you?) for various distros. We'd
    >> for sure need an nz.comp.linux newsgroup. Actually, it mightn't be a
    >> bad idea anyway, over half the posts (by my rough reckoning) here
    >> are linux related anyway. That's certainly justification for a new
    >> newsgroup. Then all of us Windows users (All hail the mighty Bill!)
    >> and hardware gurus wouldn't have to wade through oodles of posts
    >> like yours (I know it was tongue-in-cheek) everytime we check the
    >> NG. Also, it would make it a darn sight easier for anyone wanting
    >> info specific to linux as all the penguin-shaggers would hang out
    >> there and leave this group for us less deviant types. And if and
    >> when I decide to learn more about the dark side I could go to a
    >> group specifically for the subject and find a whole bunch of rabid
    >> head-nodders prepared to help.
    >>
    >> Anyone know how to propose a new group and think it's good idea?

    > I like the Idea, where┬┤s Simon Lyall.

    Who?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 26, 2004
  20. Whosamawotsit

    ~misfit~ Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 23:26:39 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> The unknown box wouldn't go away despite repeated reboots and defrags
    >> etc. I uninstalled SP2.
    >>
    >> Tualatin Celeron 1400Mhz 512MB RAM XP Pro SP1.

    > Perhaps SP2 doesn't like being overclocked. Perhaps.

    I didn't overclock SP2.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 26, 2004