Windows XP SP2 Supplicant ==> 4-Way Handshake in IBSS

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Alexandr Mishagin, Apr 27, 2005.

  1. Hello!

    From "802.11i-2004.pdf" specification:
    8.4.8 RSNA key management in an ESS

    The key confirmation handshake is implemented by the 4-Way Handshake.

    8.4.9 RSNA key management in an IBSS

    To establish a security association between two STAs in an IBSS, each STA's
    SME must have an accompanying

    IEEE 802.1X Authenticator and Supplicant. Each STA's SME initiates the 4-Way
    Handshake from

    the Authenticator to the peer STA's Supplicant (see 8.4.7). Two separate
    4-Way Handshakes are conducted.

    I use Ethereal sniffer, to capture WiFi packets. In first case 4-Way
    Handshake is exist (EAPOL-Start packet + 4 EAPOL-Key packets (4-Way
    Handshake) + 2 EAPOL-Key packets (Group Key Handshake)), but in second case
    there is no 4 way handshake. In both cases connection is successfully
    established (and working). In first case i use WPA-PSK+TKIP, in second
    WPA-None+TKIP.

    Environment:
    1. Windows XP SP2 eng
    2. Sitecom 100g+ Access Point
    3. Sitecom PCI 100g+ WiFi adapter
    4. Sitecom PC Card 100g+ WiFi adapter

    Question: Why does in second case Windows XP Supplicant not use 4 way
    handshake?

    Thanks!
    Alexandr Mishagin, Apr 27, 2005

  2. Alexandr Mishagin

    Niklas Guest

    When using WPA-None (ad-hoc) there is no authenticator, the key material is
    the PMK (the hash of the SSID and password)

    Niklas, Apr 27, 2005

  3. Hello

    "Niklas" <> wrote in message
    > When using WPA-None (ad-hoc) there is no authenticator, the key material
    > is the PMK (the hash of the SSID and password)

    Do you mean that PTK == PMK in this case?
    Alexandr Mishagin, Apr 27, 2005
  4. Alexandr Mishagin

    Niklas Guest

    Since there is no authenticator you can't create a PTK, you don't have an
    ANonce.
    Look at the key material windows set with OID_802_11_ADD_KEY.

    Niklas, Apr 28, 2005