Windows (XP SP2) Explorer problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Carol Haynes, Jan 7, 2005.

  1. Carol Haynes

    Carol Haynes Guest

    Yesterday I decided to move my webhosting and in preparation I copied all of
    my data via ftp from my old webspace to my hard disc.

    When I open the folder containing the downloaded data everything seems OK
    but as I navigate through the structure of the folders sometimes Explorer
    simply closes and restarts the desktop session (not a shutdown - just as if
    you closed Explorer in TaskManager and then restarted it from the Run menu
    item).

    It is very odd as it seems to happen at random. Sometimes individual folders
    are fine sometimes they shut Explorer.

    I have run a boot time CHKDSK on the drive and it shows up no problems at
    all.

    I have tried copying the folder - but the copy exhibits the same problem.

    I have looked at the Application and System logs and there are no entries
    relating to this behaviour (in fact there are no errors or warnings at all).

    I recently (last week December) did a completely clean reinstall of Windows
    XP SP2 and so far this is the only problem I have had!!

    Any ideas as to what is going on and how to fix it would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    --
    Carol Haynes
    Reply address is set to vaporize - don't expect a reply!

    Carol Haynes, Jan 7, 2005