  1. Im running winxp home it seems that almost ever day i have to defrag it,
    and i havent figured out why. If you have any ideas to what might casue
    this, let me know.

    Joseph McQuade Sr., Dec 14, 2004

  2. Joseph McQuade Sr. wrote:

    > Im running winxp home it seems that almost ever day i have to defrag it,
    > and i havent figured out why. If you have any ideas to what might casue
    > this, let me know.

    What or who tells you you have to?
    Harddrive or partition nearly full?
    If you *really* must defrag, do it in safe mode without any other programs
    running, over night, after you cleaned out as much as possible - including
    the internet cache(s), temp directories.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.9-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241]

    Walter Mautner, Dec 14, 2004

  3. Joseph McQuade Sr.

    °Mike° Guest

    Why do you have to defrag every day? I doubt that
    anybody has a crystal ball that actually works.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 00:51:49 -0400, in
    <>
    Joseph McQuade Sr. scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 14, 2004
  4. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 14, 2004
  5. In article <> kadbitcha <> wrote:

    >test

    Test.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "Shut your fucking bot up, it's grating on my nerves." --
    theoneflasehaddock

    Lady Chatterly, Dec 14, 2004
  6. Walter Mautner wrote:
    > Joseph McQuade Sr. wrote:
    >

    >>Im running winxp home it seems that almost ever day i have to defrag it,
    >>and i havent figured out why. If you have any ideas to what might casue
    >>this, let me know.

    > What or who tells you you have to?
    > Harddrive or partition nearly full?
    > If you *really* must defrag, do it in safe mode without any other programs
    > running, over night, after you cleaned out as much as possible - including
    > the internet cache(s), temp directories.

    BY the way the system is running the "crunching sound" that the drive
    makes when it needs to be defragged. Thats how i know it needs it. After
    I defrag, its good til I reboot, then its all weird again. So Im just
    curious on what might fragment the drive so bad.

    Joseph McQuade Sr., Dec 14, 2004
  7. Joseph McQuade Sr. wrote:

    > BY the way the system is running the "crunching sound" that the drive
    > makes when it needs to be defragged. Thats how i know it needs it. After
    > I defrag, its good til I reboot, then its all weird again. So Im just
    > curious on what might fragment the drive so bad.

    Appears you got some background application (indexing service or whatever)
    that tries to do some job, and gets interrupted by defragging. When the
    "drive crunching" starts and you do nothing, is the harddrive led
    flickering nevertheless?
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.9-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241]

    Walter Mautner, Dec 14, 2004
  8. Walter Mautner wrote:
    > Joseph McQuade Sr. wrote:
    >

    >>BY the way the system is running the "crunching sound" that the drive
    >>makes when it needs to be defragged. Thats how i know it needs it. After
    >>I defrag, its good til I reboot, then its all weird again. So Im just
    >>curious on what might fragment the drive so bad.

    > Appears you got some background application (indexing service or whatever)
    > that tries to do some job, and gets interrupted by defragging. When the
    > "drive crunching" starts and you do nothing, is the harddrive led
    > flickering nevertheless?

    while the crucnhing sound is being made, the led is solid on, and then
    when it gets done, it goes back to normal acting fast and responsive
    like it should. I've tried uninstalling programs I had installed to see
    if that would help[, It seems to happen at random and with random
    programs.

    Joseph McQuade Sr., Dec 14, 2004
  9. °Mike° wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:27:04 -0400, in
    > <>
    > Joseph McQuade Sr. scrawled:
    >

    >>Walter Mautner wrote:

    >>>What or who tells you you have to?
    >>>Harddrive or partition nearly full?
    >>>If you *really* must defrag, do it in safe mode without any other programs
    >>>running, over night, after you cleaned out as much as possible - including
    >>>the internet cache(s), temp directories.

    >>BY the way the system is running the "crunching sound" that the drive
    >>makes when it needs to be defragged. Thats how i know it needs it. After
    >>I defrag, its good til I reboot, then its all weird again. So Im just
    >>curious on what might fragment the drive so bad.

    > "Crunching sound" from your drive? Back up your valuable
    > data NOW, and go shopping for a new hard drive.

    I've had plenty of drives in the past that have made that same sound.,
    defraged it and the sound vanished, til it needed it again. usually
    about 1-3 months is my avg, So this one has me baffeled.

    Joseph McQuade Sr., Dec 14, 2004
  10. Rôgêr wrote:
    > °Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:27:04 -0400, in
    >> <>
    >> Joseph McQuade Sr. scrawled:

    >>> BY the way the system is running the "crunching sound" that the drive
    >>> makes when it needs to be defragged. Thats how i know it needs it.
    >>> After I defrag, its good til I reboot, then its all weird again. So
    >>> Im just curious on what might fragment the drive so bad.

    >> "Crunching sound" from your drive? Back up your valuable
    >> data NOW, and go shopping for a new hard drive.
    >>

    > He may only be experiencing the effects of a hard drive that's nearly
    > loaded to capacity and/or insufficient RAM. The crunching sound might
    > just be normal hard drive activity when it has to be overactive.

    There is 14 gigs of 20 avaible at this time, and it still does this. I'm
    starting to wonder if it is the page file unloading... Any idea's ???

    Joseph McQuade Sr., Dec 14, 2004
  11. Joseph McQuade Sr.

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Dec 14, 2004

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 14, 2004
  13. Joseph McQuade Sr.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:56:30 -0500, in
    <>
    Rôgêr scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:

    <snip>

    >> "Crunching sound" from your drive? Back up your valuable
    >> data NOW, and go shopping for a new hard drive.
    >>

    >He may only be experiencing the effects of a hard drive that's nearly
    >loaded to capacity and/or insufficient RAM. The crunching sound might
    >just be normal hard drive activity when it has to be overactive.

    I have never heard of a healthy drive making crunching sounds.
    My advice stands.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 14, 2004
  14. Joseph McQuade Sr.

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, °Mike° mused:

    | I have never heard of a healthy drive making crunching sounds.
    | My advice stands.

    The "crunching sound" is the recycle.wav file playing (per his OP).

    mhicaoidh, Dec 14, 2004
  15. Joseph McQuade Sr.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:12:30 -0400, in
    <>
    Joseph McQuade Sr. scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:

    <snip>

    >> "Crunching sound" from your drive? Back up your valuable
    >> data NOW, and go shopping for a new hard drive.
    >>

    >I've had plenty of drives in the past that have made that same sound.,
    >defraged it and the sound vanished, til it needed it again. usually
    >about 1-3 months is my avg, So this one has me baffeled.

    Then I suggest that what you are describing as "crunching
    sound" is not actually a crunching sound at all.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 14, 2004
  16. Joseph McQuade Sr.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:16:06 GMT, in
    <qdFvd.498645$wV.4052@attbi_s54>
    mhicaoidh scrawled:

    >Taking a moment's reflection, °Mike° mused:
    >|
    >| I have never heard of a healthy drive making crunching sounds.
    >| My advice stands.
    >
    > The "crunching sound" is the recycle.wav file playing (per his OP).

    I don't see that information anywhere.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 14, 2004
  17. °Mike° wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:16:06 GMT, in
    > <qdFvd.498645$wV.4052@attbi_s54>
    > mhicaoidh scrawled:
    >

    >>Taking a moment's reflection, °Mike° mused:
    >>|
    >>| I have never heard of a healthy drive making crunching sounds.
    >>| My advice stands.
    >>
    >> The "crunching sound" is the recycle.wav file playing (per his OP).

    > I don't see that information anywhere.

    recycle wav.. i know what sounds on a computer are, second, the sound
    coms from the drive not the speakers.

    Joseph McQuade Sr., Dec 14, 2004
  18. Walter Mautner wrote:
    > Joseph McQuade Sr. wrote:

    >>while the crucnhing sound is being made, the led is solid on, and then
    >>when it gets done, it goes back to normal acting fast and responsive
    >>like it should. I've tried uninstalling programs I had installed to see
    >> if that would help[, It seems to happen at random and with random
    >>programs.

    > Btw., after you made sure it's not your drive trying to reassign a lot of
    > defective sectors, look at your task manager (ctrl-alt-del). End all
    > programs you can (click exit on all the niceties in your taskbar left of
    > the clock) and watch what's running still.
    > If you find suspect programs, download and run spybot or adaware.

    drive tested fine, already did the spyware adaware route, booted in safe
    mode defragged and at the beginning it made the same sound and since
    then no sound. give it a day it'll start again.

    "ponders if left removal wasn't removed"

    Joseph McQuade Sr., Dec 14, 2004
  19. Joseph McQuade Sr. wrote:

    > while the crucnhing sound is being made, the led is solid on, and then
    > when it gets done, it goes back to normal acting fast and responsive
    > like it should. I've tried uninstalling programs I had installed to see
    > if that would help[, It seems to happen at random and with random
    > programs.

    But then, did you run the suggested harddrive test program from your vendors
    website?
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.9-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241]

    Walter Mautner, Dec 14, 2004

    Walter Mautner, Dec 14, 2004