    Protection - both of which now seems to be an unnecessary
    duplication now that SP2 is installed - what do you think?
    Thanks, John
    OrmesbyJohn, Aug 27, 2004

  2. OrmesbyJohn

    *** JB Guest

    at least u got sp2 up & running :) - i'm having so many probs with it :(
    I'd still use your other apps like mcafee and nortons - i don't trust ms
    security 100% just yet.

    *** JB, Aug 27, 2004

  3. OrmesbyJohn

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, OrmesbyJohn mused:

    | Just downloaded SP2.
    | However I have McAfee Security, and friend has Norton Anti Virus
    | Protection - both of which now seems to be an unnecessary
    | duplication now that SP2 is installed - what do you think?

    There is nothing in SP2 that looks for or detects viruses. Relating to
    the Security Center, it merely detects whether you have a firewall,
    antivirus, and automatic updates running. It doesn't care which one as long
    as it can detect it. They only thing that changed with relation to the
    above is MS updated the functionality of the firewall, and it is turned on
    by default. Again, there is no antivirus software included in SP2.
    mhicaoidh, Aug 27, 2004
  4. OrmesbyJohn

    PuppyKatt Guest

    Even Microsoft recommends using an AV program. I use McAfee
    (pre-installed with computer), and have had no problems what-so-ever
    with SP2.

    : Just downloaded SP2.
    : However I have McAfee Security, and friend has Norton Anti Virus
    : Protection - both of which now seems to be an unnecessary
    : duplication now that SP2 is installed - what do you think?
    : Thanks, John
    :
    :
    PuppyKatt, Aug 27, 2004
  5. OrmesbyJohn

    xmp Guest

    PuppyKatt wrote:

    > Even Microsoft recommends using an AV program. I use McAfee
    > (pre-installed with computer), and have had no problems what-so-ever
    > with SP2.

    Exactly. I doubt SP2 outdates firewall and AV. Hopefully they added
    buffer overflow protection so no more Blaster and Sasser types. If not,
    Longhorn should have it.

    michael
    xmp, Aug 27, 2004
  6. OrmesbyJohn

    Max O. Guest

    i think they are even now necessary. you have with sp2 a firewall and
    a antivirus scanner but i recommend to use an other program to
    protect your pc. however windus was very susceptibly for worms and
    viruses, why not whith the sp2 also.

    Max O.

    Max O., Aug 28, 2004
  7. OrmesbyJohn

    OrmesbyJohn Guest

    Thanks for all the replies - most useful.
    John

    OrmesbyJohn, Aug 28, 2004