    Any help in disabling these features would be appreciated.

    TIA

    Barry

    Barry, Oct 31, 2004

  2. Barry

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| How do I prevent Windows XP Home from making decisions on my behalf?
    >|
    >| I don't need to be told that e-mails will not be opened unless I hit
    >| a place elsewhere on the desktop, nor do I want a decision made on
    >| my behalf, deciding or not if it is safe to open an internet page.
    >|
    >| Any help in disabling these features would be appreciated.
    >|
    >| TIA
    >|
    >| Barry

    First, do you have adequate firewalls, antivirus, malware protection? Are
    all your Windows updates installed?

    Second, are you willing to take the risks with your computer, data, etc.?
    (New malware/viruses happen faster than the updates to the AV programs...you
    are ALWAYS vulnerable to some degree.)

    If so, then in Outlook Express you need to click on Tools, Options,
    Security, and remove the checkmarks in front of "Do not allow
    attachements..." and "Block images...".

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Oct 31, 2004

  3. Barry

    Conor Guest

    In article <vh9hd.142300$>, Barry says...
    > How do I prevent Windows XP Home from making decisions on my behalf?
    >
    > I don't need to be told that e-mails will not be opened unless I hit a place
    > elsewhere on the desktop, nor do I want a decision made on my behalf,
    > deciding or not if it is safe to open an internet page.
    >
    > Any help in disabling these features would be appreciated.

    www.suse.com
    www.mandrakelinux.com
    fedora.redhat.com

    --
    Conor

    Opinions personal, facts suspect.

    Conor, Oct 31, 2004
  4. Barry

    pb Guest

    "Barry" <bernard.verona@(Unwanted)cgocable.ca> wrote:

    > How do I prevent Windows XP Home from making decisions on my behalf?
    >
    > I don't need to be told that e-mails will not be opened unless I hit a place
    > elsewhere on the desktop, nor do I want a decision made on my behalf,
    > deciding or not if it is safe to open an internet page.
    >
    > Any help in disabling these features would be appreciated.

    Do a search and find out what the various Windows Services do,
    and which ones you can do without (there are many). Ditch the
    Windows firewall and get a real one. I use Kerio, ZoneAlarm is
    another popular one. Check the settings under Internet
    Tools/Security/Advanced.

    p.

    pb, Oct 31, 2004