    Anyone encountered this problem before?

    Thanks,
    Dilash
    Dilash, Feb 29, 2004

  2. Dilash

    Geoff Guest

    Dilash wrote:
    > I just installed Windows XP home edition for one of my clients. But a
    > short while after I set up his internet connection, the pc started
    > shutting down abruptly with the following message and giving me 1
    > minute to do anything:
    >
    > "Windows must restart"
    > "RPC terminated unexpectedly"
    >
    > I am a bit confused as it is a fresh installation of Windows XP.
    > Anyone encountered this problem before?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dilash

    welchiea (or whatever it's called, or msblaster)
    go get patch or something for it
    Geoff, Feb 29, 2004

  3. Dilash

    Kenny Guest

    You have the Blaster worm. Go here:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.rem
    oval.tool.html
    for the removal tool, there should be a link there for the MS patch, make
    sure you get that as well. Make sure you disable System Restore otherwise
    you could become re-infected.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Feb 29, 2004
  4. Dilash

    Raymond Guest

    I am confused, If he just installed window xp (maybe from the cd), then he
    tried to configure internet connection, how is that possible that he got the
    MSblast worm? Unless he got his internet connection right and started to
    download crap from the net. anyone's two cents?

    Raymond, Mar 3, 2004
  5. On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 14:40:44 -0800 , "Raymond"
    <> wrote:

    >I am confused, If he just installed window xp (maybe from the cd), then he
    >tried to configure internet connection, how is that possible that he got the
    >MSblast worm? Unless he got his internet connection right and started to
    >download crap from the net. anyone's two cents?

    An unpatched XP machine can/will get infected withing minutes of
    connecting to the 'net. No downloading required. These days, it's a
    "must" that you patch any machine PRIOR to going online.

    >"Navin R. Johnson" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 07:55:26 -0500, "Dilash" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I just installed Windows XP home edition for one of my clients. But a

    >short
    >> >while after I set up his internet connection, the pc started shutting

    >down
    >> >abruptly with the following message and giving me 1 minute to do

    >anything:
    >> >
    >> >"Windows must restart"
    >> >"RPC terminated unexpectedly"
    >> >
    >> >I am a bit confused as it is a fresh installation of Windows XP.
    >> >Anyone encountered this problem before?
    >> >
    >> >Thanks,
    >> >Dilash

    >> It's a worm - MSBlast - can't believe you haven't heard of this one???
    >> Turn on the firewall then download all the Windows Security updates. Or
    >> just download security update KB823980. You may have to go into safe
    >> mode and completely disconnect from the Internet to get the firewall
    >> turned on. Have fun.
    >>
    >> NRJ
    >>
    >> PS To turn on the firewall - right-click 'My Network Places' - click
    >> 'Properties'. Right-click the LAN connection - click properties. Click
    >> the 'Advanced' tab. Enable firewall.

    I resisted 'till I couldn't take it anymore.

    (sigh) Address altered against Spam.

    Replace the -at- and put the "spring-mind" in the correct order
    mhaase-at-springmind.com, Mar 4, 2004
  6. Dilash

    Raymond Guest

    Shit, If I unlock my xp firewall for just a few minutes, then the chances of
    getting infected is not that great right?
    That is very scary to me.

    Raymond, Mar 4, 2004
  7. On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:37:26 GMT, Doug Scott <> wrote:

    >Raymond,
    >
    >If I detach my router (which has NAT) and connect direct, Zone Alarm
    >sees probes to my IP address coming around every ten seconds, whatever
    >the time of day. You can't connect to the Net these days without
    >expecting to get hit within, I'd say, a couple of minutes.
    >
    >---
    >
    >Doug

    It helps when your ISP has NAT, I suppose.

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Mar 6, 2004