    Any help is appreciated. Maybe Brett Roberts knows.

    Cheers
    Rider

    Rider, Sep 21, 2005

  2. "Rider" <> wrote in message
    news:lS2Ye.13306$...
    > Is this available, or shortly to be available?
    >
    > One of my clinets told me he was doing updates for XP and it told him his
    > next update was Service Pack 3 and was going to take almost 3 hours on
    > dialup. He wanted to know if it is available on CD like Service Pack 2
    > was.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated. Maybe Brett Roberts knows.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Rider

    There probably will be a Windows XP SP3 but we haven't announced anything
    officially and there's certainly no word yet on what it might include or the
    timeline involved. If you currently have somebody or a web site etc offering
    you a Windows XP SP3 I'd be VERY wary because it's not from us.

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ

    Brett Roberts, Sep 21, 2005

  3. Rider wrote:
    > Is this available, or shortly to be available?
    > One of my clinets told me he was doing updates for XP and it told him his
    > next update was Service Pack 3 and was going to take almost 3 hours on
    > dialup. He wanted to know if it is available on CD like Service Pack 2 was.
    > Any help is appreciated. Maybe Brett Roberts knows.

    I haven't seen the beta, so doubt it's on its way any time soon...
    SP2 took ages to go from beta to release.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 21, 2005
  4. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Brett Roberts" <> wrote in message
    > "Rider" <> wrote in message
    >> Is this available, or shortly to be available?
    >>
    >> One of my clinets told me he was doing updates for XP and it told him his
    >> next update was Service Pack 3 and was going to take almost 3 hours on
    >> dialup. He wanted to know if it is available on CD like Service Pack 2
    >> was.
    >>
    >> Any help is appreciated. Maybe Brett Roberts knows.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Rider
    >>

    > There probably will be a Windows XP SP3 but we haven't announced anything
    > officially and there's certainly no word yet on what it might include or
    > the timeline involved. If you currently have somebody or a web site etc
    > offering you a Windows XP SP3 I'd be VERY wary because it's not from us.
    >
    > Brett Roberts
    > Microsoft NZ

    Thanks Brett. I'm actually guessing (without seeing what the message
    actually said) that it's probably a Service Pack 3 for Office XP instead of
    Windows XP.

    If there is a service pack 3 for Office XP ... are these available on CD?

    Thanks

    Rider

    Rider, Sep 21, 2005
  5. Rider

    Rider Guest

    > Rider wrote:
    >> Is this available, or shortly to be available?
    >> One of my clinets told me he was doing updates for XP and it told him his
    >> next update was Service Pack 3 and was going to take almost 3 hours on
    >> dialup. He wanted to know if it is available on CD like Service Pack 2
    >> was.
    >> Any help is appreciated. Maybe Brett Roberts knows.

    > I haven't seen the beta, so doubt it's on its way any time soon...
    > SP2 took ages to go from beta to release.

    Yeah I hadn't seen anything mentioned either, so I thought it was a bit odd.

    Cheers

    Rider, Sep 21, 2005
  6. Rider

    Bruce Flyger Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > Is this available, or shortly to be available?
    >
    > One of my clinets told me he was doing updates for XP and it told him his
    > next update was Service Pack 3 and was going to take almost 3 hours on
    > dialup. He wanted to know if it is available on CD like Service Pack 2 was.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated. Maybe Brett Roberts knows.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Rider

    There is a download available that contains all the post SP2 updates.
    Whilst the website hosting this is labelling it as SP3, it is however
    quite clearly not. AFAIK Microsoft has not yet publicly announced SP3

    Most of the updates it contains are not freely available for download.
    Microsoft only issues them on a case by case basis, after the user has
    specifically requested the update to fix a specific problem.

    Installing these updates on a machine that does not meet the
    requirements that the update is designed to fix could cause more
    problems in the future.

    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

    --
    Get Thunderbird <http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/>
    Get Firefox <http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/>

    Bruce Flyger, Sep 21, 2005
  7. Rider wrote:
    > Thanks Brett. I'm actually guessing (without seeing what the message
    > actually said) that it's probably a Service Pack 3 for Office XP instead of
    > Windows XP.
    >
    > If there is a service pack 3 for Office XP ... are these available on CD?

    Yes there is an Office XP SP3, its possible that they were offered
    Office XP SP3 through Windows Update if they clicked the link and
    changed over to using Microsoft Update (which delivers Windows patches
    as well as Office and a few others)

    Its not available from Microsoft on a CDROM like Windows XP SP2, but it
    is downloadable from
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...fd-6f69-4289-8bd1-eb966bcdfb5e&displaylang=en

    Nathan Mercer, Sep 21, 2005
  8. In article <lS2Ye.13306$>,
    "Rider" <> wrote:

    >One of my clinets told me he was doing updates for XP and it told him his
    >next update was Service Pack 3 and was going to take almost 3 hours on
    >dialup.

    3 hours on dialup is no big deal--I used to do downloads of that sort of
    size all the time on dialup. Just start it before you go to bed and
    leave it running overnight. After it stops, the PPP idle timeout will
    close your connection.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 21, 2005
  9. Rider

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > In article <lS2Ye.13306$>,
    > "Rider" <> wrote:
    >
    >>One of my clinets told me he was doing updates for XP and it told him his
    >>next update was Service Pack 3 and was going to take almost 3 hours on
    >>dialup.

    > 3 hours on dialup is no big deal--I used to do downloads of that sort of
    > size all the time on dialup. Just start it before you go to bed and
    > leave it running overnight. After it stops, the PPP idle timeout will
    > close your connection.

    Wouldn't even take more than 10 minutes on dial up... as it wouldn't need
    the internet when it's bound to be on the PC World CD. Plus a few other
    magazines as well.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 21, 2005
  10. Rider

    Mercury Guest

    There is *NO SUCH THING* as windows xp sp3 - yet.

    Mercury, Sep 21, 2005
  11. Rider

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Mercury" <> wrote in message
    > There is *NO SUCH THING* as windows xp sp3 - yet.

    No shit!

    When XP was released there was no such thing as SP1. XP was advertised as
    being the most secure OS yet in the advertising for it.
    SP2 was an after thought as well.
    When SP3 is released if there's ever going to be one before the next version
    of Windows, then it wll most likely be widely available just as SP2 was.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 21, 2005
  12. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    > Rider wrote:
    >> Thanks Brett. I'm actually guessing (without seeing what the message
    >> actually said) that it's probably a Service Pack 3 for Office XP instead
    >> of Windows XP.
    >>
    >> If there is a service pack 3 for Office XP ... are these available on CD?

    > Yes there is an Office XP SP3, its possible that they were offered Office
    > XP SP3 through Windows Update if they clicked the link and changed over to
    > using Microsoft Update (which delivers Windows patches as well as Office
    > and a few others)
    >
    > Its not available from Microsoft on a CDROM like Windows XP SP2, but it is
    > downloadable from
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...fd-6f69-4289-8bd1-eb966bcdfb5e&displaylang=en

    Thanks very much. I'll download it for my client. The last thing he needs is
    a 3 hour d/l just for part of it to be corrupt. That and the fact he isn't
    doing this at home. Where the computers are, there isn't anything else to
    do, so it would be a very long 3 hours LOL

    Rider

    Rider, Sep 21, 2005