    problems it causes. I thought the whole idea of bringing out a service pack
    was to improve things but it doesn't, when will Microsoft ever get it right
    for godsake!
    Wesley, Dec 28, 2004

  2. Wesley

    Jim Scott Guest

    Wesley wrote:

    > Does anyone have any positive experiences once they've downloaded &
    > installed Windows XP service pack 2? I've tried twice now but it
    > messes up Internet Explorer amongst other irritating things. Spoke to
    > a friend yesterday and he told me he wont install service pack 2
    > because of the problems it causes. I thought the whole idea of
    > bringing out a service pack was to improve things but it doesn't,
    > when will Microsoft ever get it right for godsake!

    Not gloating, but been ok from the start here.
    --
    Jim

    Tyneside - North East of England
    To email me directly omit the X from my address
    Jim Scott, Dec 28, 2004

  3. Wesley

    Hammerer Guest

    "Wesley" <> wrote in message

    > Does anyone have any positive experiences once they've downloaded &
    > installed Windows XP service pack 2? I've tried twice now but it messes up
    > Internet Explorer amongst other irritating things. Spoke to a friend
    > yesterday and he told me he wont install service pack 2 because of the
    > problems it causes. I thought the whole idea of bringing out a service

    pack
    > was to improve things but it doesn't, when will Microsoft ever get it

    right
    > for godsake!

    Please note that XP service pack 2 should only be installed on PC's running
    Windows XP. Attempting to install it on PC's running Windows 98 or ME, or
    Linux, is not recommended.
    Hammerer, Dec 28, 2004
  4. Wesley

    tutsi Guest

    same here no problems since i install SP2

    tutsi, Dec 28, 2004
  5. Wesley

    x@y Guest

    "Jim Scott" <> wrote in message..
    > Wesley wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone have any positive experiences once they've
    >> downloaded &
    >> installed Windows XP service pack 2? I've tried twice now but
    >> it
    >> messes up Internet Explorer amongst other irritating things.
    >> Spoke to
    >> a friend yesterday and he told me he wont install service pack
    >> 2
    >> because of the problems it causes. I thought the whole idea of
    >> bringing out a service pack was to improve things but it
    >> doesn't,
    >> when will Microsoft ever get it right for godsake!

    > Not gloating, but been ok from the start here.
    > --
    > Jim
    >
    > Tyneside - North East of England
    > To email me directly omit the X from my address

    Hello "Jim"!!
    Here are a couple of hints:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-10168-...readID=42433&messageID=536568&start=-230Hoops, I hope the link works it about a yard long.Good Luck x@y.<>================<>================<>
    x@y, Dec 28, 2004
  6. Wesley

    Wesley Guest

    I already have Windows XP installed!

    Wesley, Dec 28, 2004
  7. Wesley

    Gordon Guest

    Wesley wrote:
    > Does anyone have any positive experiences once they've downloaded &
    > installed Windows XP service pack 2? I've tried twice now but it messes up
    > Internet Explorer amongst other irritating things. Spoke to a friend
    > yesterday and he told me he wont install service pack 2 because of the
    > problems it causes. I thought the whole idea of bringing out a service pack
    > was to improve things but it doesn't, when will Microsoft ever get it right
    > for godsake!

    I've done it three times now - on two laptops and a desktop. No problems
    what so ever. Did you get rid of any spyware and malware before you
    installed? SP2 certainly does *NOT* mess up IE!
    Gordon, Dec 28, 2004
  8. Wesley

    Wesley Guest

    Wesley, Dec 28, 2004
  9. Wesley

    x@y Guest

    http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-10168-0-10.html?forumID=104&threadID=42433&messageID=536568&start=-230

    I hope the link works it about a yard long.Good Luck
    x@y.<>================<>================<>
    Sorry "Hoops" does not belong at the end of the link after
    I sent It got pasted there.
    x@y, Dec 28, 2004
  10. Wesley

    Hammerer Guest

    "Wesley" <> top-posted
    in message news:cqs8vb$291$...

    > I already have Windows XP installed!

    No you don't! No way!
    Hammerer, Dec 28, 2004
  11. Wesley

    Wesley Guest

    I did a clean re-install of Windows XP (wanted to re-partition the disks)
    before installing service pack 2 and STILL had problems with Internet
    Explorer! I could see what the problem was but it wouldn't let me sort it
    out getting caught in a loop! I also had no 'history'.
    Prior to re-installing Windows XP I had installed service pack 2 and didn't
    have a 'History' then either but I put up with it until I decided I wanted
    to re-partition the hard disks.
    I also noticed that Service Pack 2 slowed my system down quite a bit, I've
    only got a 400 MHZ so that's the last thing I need!

    Think I'll just give Windows XP Service Pack 2 a miss... at least for now.

    Wesley, Dec 28, 2004
  12. Wesley

    Brian Guest

    "x@y" <wunderland.wine.invalid> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > "Jim Scott" <> wrote in message..
    > > Wesley wrote:
    > >
    > >> Does anyone have any positive experiences once they've
    > >> downloaded &
    > >> installed Windows XP service pack 2? I've tried twice now but
    > >> it
    > >> messes up Internet Explorer amongst other irritating things.
    > >> Spoke to
    > >> a friend yesterday and he told me he wont install service pack
    > >> 2
    > >> because of the problems it causes. I thought the whole idea of
    > >> bringing out a service pack was to improve things but it
    > >> doesn't,
    > >> when will Microsoft ever get it right for godsake!

    > > Not gloating, but been ok from the start here.
    > > --
    > > Jim
    > >
    > > Tyneside - North East of England
    > > To email me directly omit the X from my address

    > Hello "Jim"!!
    > Here are a couple of hints:

    http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-10168-...readID=42433&messageID=536568&start=-230Hoops, I
    hope the link works it about a yard long.Good Luck
    x@y.<>================<>================<>

    quick tip...
    use http://tinyurl.com/ for long links. copy the original link and paste it
    in the text box at tinyurl, then, click "make tiny url", copy it and paste
    it in your post. btw. send the original link with it... some people don't
    like clicking on em (due to spam and such like).. using tinyurl is better
    cos of the line wrapping in newsreaders..
    Brian, Dec 28, 2004
  13. Wesley

    Wesley Guest

    OH YES I DO!

    Wesley, Dec 28, 2004
  14. Wesley

    Billh Guest

    I have installed it on four of my own computers and one customers computer
    with no ill effects. My boss installed it on his laptop and hosed it. He
    also installed it on a computer in a lab as a test and it worked fine. We
    also had one secretary click on the update now button and install it but she
    decided it was taking to long and turned the computer off in the middle of
    it to stop it. I was able to recover that one. My brother inlaw did two
    computers one went well the other one hosed the network connection and only
    a format and reinstall would fix it. That computer had been upgraded from
    98 to me to xp. Had a friend upgrade over dialup and it went fine for him.

    From that sample it looks like a it could be a great thing or a horrible
    mess. If I had a computer that I was going to be place on the Internet I
    would want it to be the most up to date I could make it. And if you are
    going to run Windows that mean XP with SP2. I would consider formatting the
    drive and install a fresh copy of SP2 as the first thing you do when the
    install is done.

    Billh, Dec 28, 2004
  15. Wesley

    Maurice Guest

    It can be a right royal pain in the ass but the security features do
    outweigh the initial disadvantages. Unless you are trying to run very old
    applications the thing to do is update all software and drivers for
    applications that are suddenly causing you grief and bit by bit things will
    get back to normal.

    --
    Maurice <>
    S.Bucks. UK

    Maurice, Dec 28, 2004
  16. Wesley

    Conor Guest

    In article Wesley says...
    > Does anyone have any positive experiences once they've downloaded &
    > installed Windows XP service pack 2? I've tried twice now but it messes up
    > Internet Explorer amongst other irritating things. Spoke to a friend
    > yesterday and he told me he wont install service pack 2 because of the
    > problems it causes. I thought the whole idea of bringing out a service pack
    > was to improve things but it doesn't, when will Microsoft ever get it right
    > for godsake!

    Works fine. By messing up you mean that it warns you about downloading
    stuff, refuses to install all kinds of random shit and the popup blocker
    works?

    --
    Conor

    -- George Patton
    Conor, Dec 28, 2004
  17. Wesley

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Wesley composed the following ...
    > Does anyone have any positive experiences once they've downloaded &
    > installed Windows XP service pack 2? I've tried twice now but it messes up
    > Internet Explorer amongst other irritating things. Spoke to a friend
    > yesterday and he told me he wont install service pack 2 because of the
    > problems it causes. I thought the whole idea of bringing out a service
    > pack was to improve things but it doesn't, when will Microsoft ever get
    > it right for godsake!

    A lot would depend what you mean by 'mess up'. I've installed it on
    desktops and laptops and haven't had a problem at all.

    Reading more of your posts it would seem that your computer wasn't operating
    correctly in the first place, so why would you expect SP2 to work any
    better?

    In my experience the main problems have been with computers and users that
    have always had problems.

    --
    Paul ...
    http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php
    Paul - xxx, Dec 28, 2004
  18. Wesley

    x@y Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message

    > "x@y" <wunderland.wine.invalid> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    >> > Not gloating, but been ok from the start here.
    >> > --
    >> > Jim
    >> >
    >> > Tyneside - North East of England
    >> > To email me directly omit the X from my address

    >> Hello "Jim"!!
    >> Here are a couple of hints:
    >>

    > http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-10168-...readID=42433&messageID=536568&start=-230Hoops, I
    > hope the link works it about a yard long.Good Luck
    > x@y.<>================<>================<>
    >

    > quick tip...
    > use http://tinyurl.com/ for long links. copy the original link
    > and paste it
    > in the text box at tinyurl, then, click "make tiny url", copy
    > it and paste
    > it in your post. btw. send the original link with it... some
    > people don't
    > like clicking on em (due to spam and such like).. using tinyurl
    > is better
    > cos of the line wrapping in newsreaders..

    Hello "Brian"!!
    This my first try, I hope it is ok.
    I was aware of "tinyurl" but never tried.

    http://tinyurl.com/5anwr

    Holy! look at that, I am going to try tinyurl on my tax bill.
    Thank You very much Brian, x@y.

    <>=================<>===================<>

    x@y, Dec 28, 2004
  19. Wesley

    BeeP Guest

    never had a problem with it don't even know it's their

    BeeP, Dec 29, 2004
  20. Wesley

    DC Guest

    Wesley wrote:
    > "Hammerer" <> wrote in message
    >> "Wesley" <> top-posted
    >> in message news:cqs8vb$291$...

    >> > I already have Windows XP installed!

    >> No you don't! No way!

    > OH YES I DO!

    Good Lord...

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    It's not the software that's free; it's you.
    DC, Dec 29, 2004