    can windows service pack 2 be uninstalled, and is it worth having to begin
    with?????

    thanks!

    the_niner_nation, Mar 23, 2005

  2. the_niner_nation

    Ron Martell Guest

    "the_niner_nation" <> wrote:

    >My laptop was working **perfectly** until i downloaded the service pack2 '
    >upgrade'...on rebooting my computer, i get a blue screen error message that
    >lasts for a second or so and the laptop boots at least twice before i can
    >use it again....
    >
    >how can i stop this happening?
    >can windows service pack 2 be uninstalled, and is it worth having to begin
    >with?????
    >
    >thanks!

    Yes, Service Pack 2 is very much worth having.

    It fixes many security related issues, and there is a strong
    possibility that machines without SP2 could be vulnerable to attacks
    that exploit the weaknesses fixed by SP2.

    Can you make note of the contents of the Blue Screen error message, or
    does it clear off too quickly? Try opening Control Panel - System -
    Advanced and click on the Settings button in the Startup and Recovery
    (bottom) section. In the Startup and Recovery window click on the
    checkbox for "Automatically restart to clear it. Click on Apply and
    OK as needed to exit.

    That should keep the Blue Screen error message displayed so you can
    make note of the contents of it. Post that information back here.

    Also check with the manufacturer of your laptop for any updates or
    other information regarding XP Service Pack 2 on your specific model.

    And if all else fails you can uninstall Service Pack 2 via Control
    Panel - Add/Remove Programs. But it is much better to resolve the
    problem than to run away from it.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --