    doesn't work I'm ready to give up.

    Any other suggestions? I am far from a SCSI expert so even the most
    obvious suggestions would be appreciated.

    Chris, Aug 22, 2005

  2. Chris

    Vanguard Guest

    SCSI is Plug-and-Play? Not whenever I've used it. The BIOS in the SCSI
    controller card will only hard fixed drives: if you don't have any fixed
    drives attached to it then you can disable its BIOS. Other device types
    will still require a driver so the OS knows the interface to that device.
    SCSI is the transport, not the device definition. Same goes for an
    IDE-connected tape drive: yeah, the OS has its own IDE controller drivers
    but it only knows how to handle fixed drives on that transport interface and
    you will still need to install drivers that define a tape drive attached to
    that interface.

    Apparently Windows doesn't include drivers for the Compaq DLT4000 tape drive
    (no version of Windows has ever had the driver for my old Seagate Hornet
    tape drive). You'll need to get the driver installed for whatever tape
    drive you are using. Since HP bought out Compaq, have you looked there for
    a device driver? I did a search there under their support & driver page
    which came up with 2 matches, but I don't know which would apply to you
    since you didn't mention the number of tape slots in yours. Of the one that
    I looked at, it only listed a "firmware bundle", so I don't know if that
    includes a device driver or if the tape drive attempts to present itself as
    a fixed disk to the SCSI controller.

    When you boot, and after the POST but before Windows (or any other OS)
    loads, you should see a message showing that the SCSI card's BIOS is loaded
    and what devices it detected? That has nothing to do with drivers or an OS
    but whether or not the SCSI card even sees your external device. Is your
    tape drive listed in its list of discovered devices? If not, you might have
    to enter its setup screens to make sure that settings are configured to
    recognize the type of SCSI device you are attaching.

    Did you check that you have selected a unique ID for the tape device (if it
    doesn't have the auto-select feature)?

    In the BIOS setup for the SCSI card itself, is its external interface
    enabled? The Adaptec SCSI card that I have will do auto-termination, so if
    the external interface is not enabled then the bus is terminated on the
    card, but you would need to disable the card-end termination and enable the
    external interface.

    E-mail: Remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" to Subject.

    Vanguard, Aug 22, 2005

  3. Chris

    Miles Ahead Guest

    On 22 Aug 2005 08:37:36 -0700, "Chris" <> wrote:

    >Any other suggestions? I am far from a SCSI expert so even the most
    >obvious suggestions would be appreciated.

    You might try posting on comp.os.linux.hardware
    Those guys tend to do more with SCSI than Windows
    people. And they use x86 PCs so if it's a termination
    issue it should be the same regardless of OS.

    Miles Ahead, Aug 22, 2005
  4. Chris

    why? Guest

    On 22 Aug 2005 08:37:36 -0700, Chris wrote:

    >I am trying to use a Compaq DLT4000 external DLT drive with a windowsXP

    If you are going to ask , in 24HSHD or another group.

    Model numbers help.

    You do have the card / dlt manuals? Usually there are different type of
    setups shown.

    >workstation. I have a SCSI adapter installed into a PCI slot and

    So does make / model of card.

    >Windows sees that fine. Attached to the SCSI adapter is the external
    >DLT. Windows does not see that. I've tried installing the card and
    >drive in a Windows2000 machine with the same results. I would think
    >this should be a plug and play device. I've done searches for drivers

    SCSI PnP, you can't be serious.

    >and can't find anything.

    Even a simple Win NT4 AHA2940 / 4mm DAT requires , termination , SCSI
    drivers (for the card) and the 4mm DAT driver (for the device) to be
    installed.

    >I am hoping the problem is improper termination. On the back of the
    >drive I have a 50pin high density to 26-pin converter, and then the
    >converter has a 26-pin terminator attached to it.

    Adapters are handy if you know what you are doing :)

    >I just ordered a pure SCSI 3 50 pin high density terminator. If this
    >doesn't work I'm ready to give up.

    What sort of cable from the card to the drive.

    It's been a while since I played with SCSI and SCSI 3 was only just out.

    Normally issues revolved around termpower , active / passive
    termination.

    Auto termination on the card (terminator on the device) or not with
    termination on both ends.

    >Any other suggestions? I am far from a SCSI expert so even the most
    >obvious suggestions would be appreciated.

    IIRC , you can try www.google.com there are quite a few.

    Me

    why?, Aug 22, 2005
  5. "Chris" <> wrote in

    > I am trying to use a Compaq DLT4000 external DLT drive with a
    > windowsXP workstation. I have a SCSI adapter installed into a PCI
    > slot and Windows sees that fine. Attached to the SCSI adapter is
    > the external DLT. Windows does not see that. I've tried
    > installing the card and drive in a Windows2000 machine with the
    > same results. I would think this should be a plug and play
    > device. I've done searches for drivers and can't find anything.
    >
    > I am hoping the problem is improper termination. On the back of
    > the drive I have a 50pin high density to 26-pin converter, and
    > then the converter has a 26-pin terminator attached to it.
    >
    > I just ordered a pure SCSI 3 50 pin high density terminator. If
    > this doesn't work I'm ready to give up.
    >
    > Any other suggestions? I am far from a SCSI expert so even the
    > most obvious suggestions would be appreciated.

    When your machine boots you should get an option to go into the scsi
    settings.
    Plug the termination into the end of the cable.
    -max
    --
    Playing Nice on Usenet:
    My Pages: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/