Windows XP - Renaming Hosts

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Steve, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Hi, ive just setup a small client server network at work (due to wanting to
    share files etc)

    I want to rename each pc's host so when i use remote desktop i just type in
    pc name (currently hosts are something like DG6KPTJ or similar hard 2
    remember)

    Problem im having though, when i go to rename the host in the network
    control pannel (network identification-change, i put in the new host name,
    click on OK, it brings up a box saying enter username and password with the
    right permissions, so i stick in administrator user/pass, but it brings up
    an error saying disconnect all things etc before doing anything (i cant
    remember the exact error msg, i'll post back tomorrow with it if no1 knows
    what its on about?)and wont let me get any further.

    Any ideas? im going to try logging into the PC itself rather than the
    network and trying it then, but as far as i know i should be able to ename
    the host while connected to the network?

    server is SBS (Small Business Server)

    Steve, Feb 12, 2004

  2. Steve

    Harrison Guest

    In order to change the name of a computer on the domain, you'll have to enter the domain admin's. password, not the one
    for the local machine. This would be the same password used to log onto the server.

    Harrison, Feb 12, 2004

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    <Harrison> wrote in message
    > In order to change the name of a computer on the domain, you'll have to

    enter the domain admin's. password, not the one
    > for the local machine. This would be the same password used to log onto

    the server.

    im logged into the network on the said PC as the administrator account.

    im thinking i need to be logged in to the PC locally as administrator (which
    the network administrator is in the group of btw)

    Steve, Feb 12, 2004
  4. Steve

    Steve Guest

    <Harrison> wrote...
    > In order to change the name of a computer on the domain, you'll have to

    enter the domain admin's. password, not the one
    > for the local machine.

    I'm _not_ logging into the local machine, im logging into the network as
    administrator.

    Steve, Feb 12, 2004