Windows XP Remote Assistance

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by SomebodyElse, Dec 2, 2003.

  1. SomebodyElse

    SomebodyElse Guest

    I can't get Remote Assistance to work. I'm using Windows XP (Pro) and my
    friend is using Windows XP (Home). He is sending me a Remote Assistance
    Invitation but I can't connect to his computer.

    I have followed the instructions at
    http://windows.microsoft.com/RemoteAssistance/RA.asp
    but this is what I was doing anyway and nothing is working. I have a
    firewall program on my computer (Sygate Personal Firewall) but I allow it
    access when needed, and my friends computer doesn't have any firewall
    running (except possibly WinXP's built in "Internet Connection Firewall").

    Has anybody had any success with this 'feature' of winXP? Are there any
    tricks to getting it working properly?

    In theory this could be extremely useful. A number of people regard
    me as their 'resident expert' even though I'm neither resident or an
    expert, but good enough for them. As many of them live a reasonable
    distance away it'd be good to be able to connect to their computer via the
    net to fix problems or show them stuff they'd find useful.

    I'd have thought that the Windows Remote Assistance would work 'out of the
    box', but in my case it doesn't seem to. Is there anything I should
    change/setup/install so that this will work?

    Cheers
    Scott

    SomebodyElse, Dec 2, 2003

  2. SomebodyElse

    Stuart Guest

    "SomebodyElse" <> wrote in message
    > Has anybody had any success with this 'feature' of winXP? Are there any
    > tricks to getting it working properly?

    I've used it a couple of times with WinXP Home. We initiated our session via
    messenger (rather than email) - perhaps that would help?

    I also have the Windows firewall and Zonealarm enabled - I don't remember
    having to disable either to get it working.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Dec 2, 2003

  3. SomebodyElse

    SomebodyElse Guest

    On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 21:27:47 +1300, Stuart wrote:

    > "SomebodyElse" <> wrote in message
    >> Has anybody had any success with this 'feature' of winXP? Are there any
    >> tricks to getting it working properly?

    > I've used it a couple of times with WinXP Home. We initiated our session via
    > messenger (rather than email) - perhaps that would help?

    Ah. Maybe that's the problem....it probably uses Windows Messenger in some
    way. I have uninstalled it from this computer, and I'm pretty sure I
    removed it from my mates computer when I set it up.

    Maybe Windows Messenger does have a use after all?

    - Scott

    SomebodyElse, Dec 3, 2003
  4. SomebodyElse

    ~misfit~ Guest

    SomebodyElse wrote:
    > On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 21:27:47 +1300, Stuart wrote:
    >

    >> "SomebodyElse" <> wrote in message
    >>> Has anybody had any success with this 'feature' of winXP? Are there
    >>> any tricks to getting it working properly?

    >> I've used it a couple of times with WinXP Home. We initiated our
    >> session via messenger (rather than email) - perhaps that would help?

    > Ah. Maybe that's the problem....it probably uses Windows Messenger in
    > some way. I have uninstalled it from this computer, and I'm pretty
    > sure I removed it from my mates computer when I set it up.
    >
    > Maybe Windows Messenger does have a use after all?

    I couldn't get it to work even with messenger. Luckilly my mate had written
    a wee proggy that did the same thing as remote desktop.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 3, 2003
  5. SomebodyElse

    Dogg Guest

    On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 20:37:42 +1300, SomebodyElse <>
    wrote:

    >I can't get Remote Assistance to work. I'm using Windows XP (Pro) and my
    >friend is using Windows XP (Home). He is sending me a Remote Assistance
    >Invitation but I can't connect to his computer.

    <snip>

    Would VNC do the trick?

    http://www.realvnc.com/download.html

    A friend tried PC Anywhere with no luck but this worked fine.

    Dogg, Dec 3, 2003
  6. SomebodyElse

    SNOman Guest

    Dogg wrote:

    > On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 20:37:42 +1300, SomebodyElse <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I can't get Remote Assistance to work. I'm using Windows XP (Pro) and my
    >>friend is using Windows XP (Home). He is sending me a Remote Assistance
    >>Invitation but I can't connect to his computer.
    >>

    > <snip>
    >
    > Would VNC do the trick?
    >
    > http://www.realvnc.com/download.html
    >
    > A friend tried PC Anywhere with no luck but this worked fine.

    You can also use netmeeting. I've dumped VNC for our NT servers and
    replaced it with netmeeting, way more secure and in my experience it is
    considerably faster.

    SNOman, Dec 3, 2003
  7. SomebodyElse

    Enkidu Guest

    On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 16:35:52 +1300, SNOman <>
    wrote:

    >You can also use netmeeting. I've dumped VNC for our NT servers and
    >replaced it with netmeeting, way more secure and in my experience it is
    >considerably faster.

    Where did you see that it is more secure? Got a reference? Do you run
    it through a firewall?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    that the conspiracy is working.

    Enkidu, Dec 3, 2003
  8. SomebodyElse

    SomebodyElse Guest

    On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 16:35:52 +1300, SNOman wrote:

    > Dogg wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 20:37:42 +1300, SomebodyElse <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I can't get Remote Assistance to work. I'm using Windows XP (Pro) and my
    >>>friend is using Windows XP (Home). He is sending me a Remote Assistance
    >>>Invitation but I can't connect to his computer.
    >>>

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Would VNC do the trick?
    >>
    >> http://www.realvnc.com/download.html

    I downloaded it for a look - seems fairly complicated....

    >> A friend tried PC Anywhere with no luck but this worked fine.

    > You can also use netmeeting. I've dumped VNC for our NT servers and
    > replaced it with netmeeting, way more secure and in my experience it is
    > considerably faster.

    How do I set up netmeeting for this? I've looked online but can't find a
    hell of a lot. Know of any site with reasonable instructions for this?

    Cheers
    Scott

    SomebodyElse, Dec 3, 2003
  9. SomebodyElse

    SNOman Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 16:35:52 +1300, SNOman <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>You can also use netmeeting. I've dumped VNC for our NT servers and
    >>replaced it with netmeeting, way more secure and in my experience it is
    >>considerably faster.
    >>

    > Where did you see that it is more secure? Got a reference?

    Windows and .NET magazine. Issue 12 October 2003. "NetMeeting is more
    secure than VNC and more stable than other remote control applications".

    When you think about it it has to be more secure than VNC as it uses
    Windows authentication to make the initial connection i.e no windows
    account, no connection, rather than just an arbitrary password for VNC.

    Do you run

    SNOman, Dec 3, 2003
  10. SomebodyElse

    Enkidu Guest

    On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 08:39:53 +1300, SNOman <>
    wrote:

    >Enkidu wrote:
    >> On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 16:35:52 +1300, SNOman <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>You can also use netmeeting. I've dumped VNC for our NT servers and
    >>>replaced it with netmeeting, way more secure and in my experience it is
    >>>considerably faster.
    >>>

    >> Where did you see that it is more secure? Got a reference?

    >Windows and .NET magazine. Issue 12 October 2003. "NetMeeting is more
    >secure than VNC and more stable than other remote control applications".
    >
    >When you think about it it has to be more secure than VNC as it uses
    >Windows authentication to make the initial connection i.e no windows
    >account, no connection, rather than just an arbitrary password for VNC.

    Except that it makes your firewall into a sieve and doesn't work with
    a large number of ADSL and other modems.

    "To establish outbound NetMeeting connections through a firewall, the
    firewall must be configured to do the following:

    Pass through primary TCP connections on ports 389, 522, 1503, 1720,
    and 1731.
    Pass through secondary TCP and UDP connections on dynamically assigned
    ports (1024-65535)."

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/NetMeeting/Corp/reskit/Chapter4/default.asp

    VNC is as secure as the connection that you use it over.

    Enkidu, Dec 3, 2003
  11. SomebodyElse

    SNOman Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 08:39:53 +1300, SNOman <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Enkidu wrote:

    >>>Where did you see that it is more secure? Got a reference?

    >>Windows and .NET magazine. Issue 12 October 2003. "NetMeeting is more
    >>secure than VNC and more stable than other remote control applications".
    >>
    >>When you think about it it has to be more secure than VNC as it uses
    >>Windows authentication to make the initial connection i.e no windows
    >>account, no connection, rather than just an arbitrary password for VNC.
    >>

    > Except that it makes your firewall into a sieve and doesn't work with
    > a large number of ADSL and other modems.
    >
    > "To establish outbound NetMeeting connections through a firewall, the
    > firewall must be configured to do the following:
    >
    > Pass through primary TCP connections on ports 389, 522, 1503, 1720,
    > and 1731.
    > Pass through secondary TCP and UDP connections on dynamically assigned
    > ports (1024-65535)."
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/NetMeeting/Corp/reskit/Chapter4/default.asp
    >
    > VNC is as secure as the connection that you use it over.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    All comes down to the situation you use it with I guess. Within our
    office environment then no firewall is being traversed. Out of the
    office then it's a case of VPN in through the firewall with Nortel
    client software and it still works fine. Our firewall is secured
    appropriately.

    SNOman, Dec 3, 2003
  12. SomebodyElse

    Enkidu Guest

    On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 12:39:56 +1300, SNOman <>
    wrote:

    >>>Windows and .NET magazine. Issue 12 October 2003. "NetMeeting is more
    >>>secure than VNC and more stable than other remote control applications".
    >>>

    >All comes down to the situation you use it with I guess. Within our
    >office environment then no firewall is being traversed. Out of the
    >office then it's a case of VPN in through the firewall with Nortel
    >client software and it still works fine. Our firewall is secured
    >appropriately.

    Yes, exactly. That makes the comment in Windows and .Net magazine a
    stupid one. If you set up a secure VPN connection you can use either
    one safely. And you should use a secure connection.

    You SHOULD be able to use Netmeeting over a secure VPN connection, but
    I believe there are issues. I've never tried it so I'm not sure.

    Enkidu, Dec 4, 2003
  13. SomebodyElse

    SNOman Guest

    Enkidu wrote:

    >>All comes down to the situation you use it with I guess. Within our
    >>office environment then no firewall is being traversed. Out of the
    >>office then it's a case of VPN in through the firewall with Nortel
    >>client software and it still works fine. Our firewall is secured
    >>appropriately.

    > Yes, exactly. That makes the comment in Windows and .Net magazine a
    > stupid one. If you set up a secure VPN connection you can use either
    > one safely. And you should use a secure connection.

    I wouldn't say it was a stupid comment. VNC only requires a password,
    which could be hacked. Netmeeting requires a valid domain username and
    password and it also has the option to use secure (read encrypted)
    calls. I believe that this is what they were getting at with their comment.

    > You SHOULD be able to use Netmeeting over a secure VPN connection, but
    > I believe there are issues. I've never tried it so I'm not sure.

    I have tried it, ie I use it regularly and there are no issues that I
    have come across.

    SNOman, Dec 4, 2003