    boot windows at all, and I don't have enought HDD space to install
    another OS. At the administrator password I tried leaving it blank and
    it still did not work. Any suggestions much appreciated.
    Thomas, Nov 24, 2007

  2. Thomas

    Rod Speed Guest

    Thomas <> wrote:

    > I'm trying to fix a problem with my Acer 2312 notebook, when I try
    > and boot into XP home it says the file isapnp.sys is missing or corrupt.
    > So I try and use the Recovery Console from an XP installation CD.
    > The problem is that it prompts for a password on the Administrator
    > account, which I don't know, because I have my own account with
    > administrator privelages. I'm the only one who uses the notebook so
    > this must have been an account installed at the factory. Any
    > suggestions on how to get the password? Keep in mind that I can not boot
    > windows at all, and I don't have enought HDD space to install another OS.

    You dont need that to run one from the CD.

    > At the administrator password I tried
    > leaving it blank and it still did not work.

    > Any suggestions much appreciated.

    Boot a bootable CD and fix the password problem that way.

    The ultimate boot CD for Win has a password cracker.
    Rod Speed, Nov 24, 2007

  3. Thomas

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 10:51:53 -0800 (PST), Thomas
    <> wrote:

    >I'm trying to fix a problem with my Acer 2312 notebook, when I try and
    >boot into XP home it says the file isapnp.sys is missing or corrupt.
    >So I try and use the Recovery Console from an XP installation CD. The
    >problem is that it prompts for a password on the Administrator
    >account,

    It always does. Even if there is no password.

    >which I don't know, because I have my own account with
    >administrator privelages. I'm the only one who uses the notebook so
    >this must have been an account installed at the factory. Any
    >suggestions on how to get the password? Keep in mind that I can not
    >boot windows at all, and I don't have enought HDD space to install
    >another OS. At the administrator password I tried leaving it blank and
    >it still did not work. Any suggestions much appreciated.

    Can't tell for all Acers but mine doesn't require any admin
    password for the recovery console.
    Just choose 1 to select the windows installation and press enter
    for the password. (So basically, I suggest to try again :)

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok
    Gerard Bok, Nov 24, 2007
  4. Thomas

    Guest

    On Nov 24, 6:51 pm, Thomas <> wrote:
    > I'm trying to fix a problem with my Acer 2312 notebook, when I try and
    > boot into XP home it says the file isapnp.sys is missing or corrupt.
    > So I try and use the Recovery Console from an XP installation CD. The
    > problem is that it prompts for a password on the Administrator
    > account, which I don't know, because I have my own account with
    > administrator privelages. I'm the only one who uses the notebook so
    > this must have been an account installed at the factory. Any
    > suggestions on how to get the password? Keep in mind that I can not
    > boot windows at all, and I don't have enought HDD space to install
    > another OS. At the administrator password I tried leaving it blank and
    > it still did not work. Any suggestions much appreciated.

    Peter Nordahl`s offline NT password recovery <-- google that

    Also. the recovery console is a bit limited, it has its purpose like
    fixing up boot.ini It has some good commands, like 3 FIXMBR,
    BOOTCFG /reinstall, FIXBOOT. It may have others..

    But for other things, you have to tweak things to access a floppy
    drive, and I am not sure if there is an edit.com, there may be a copy
    con, so you could make files that way. It is very limited. Not like a
    command prompt. For that you are better off with Win XP PE. Or
    something like UBCD..

    I don`t know what you hope to do from the recovery console..

    I suggest you consider a Win XP Repair. "off the cd".
    aka win xp repair installation.
    It is different from a repair from the windows recovery console.
    It is like overwriting the key windows xp files.

    this is a classic page- below
    , Nov 28, 2007
  5. Thomas

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    typed on Wed, 28 Nov 2007 11:30:27 -0800
    (PST):
    > ... For that you are better off with Win XP PE. Or
    > something like UBCD...

    Windows XP PE isn't available for most folks. How about Bart's PE?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BartPE

    --
    Bill
    BillW50, Dec 3, 2007
  6. Thomas

    Guest

    On Dec 3, 10:22 am, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    > Innews:,
    > typed on Wed, 28 Nov 2007 11:30:27 -0800
    > (PST):
    >
    > > ... For that you are better off with Win XP PE. Or
    > > something like UBCD...

    > Windows XP PE isn't available for most folks. How about Bart's PE?
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BartPE
    >
    > --
    > Bill

    well, I will just emphasise that if windows is not loading(and he has
    not isolated it to a boot.ini problem), then i think he should do a
    Win XP Repair off the CD..

    But

    yeah - BartPE.. Though I think UBCD - which I mentioned - uses BartPE
    http://www.ubcd4win.com/
    ".... Bart's PE(c) ...accomplish...task"

    That will let him read his drive. replace files. Though he would need
    to know what to replace, and he would need to have the replacement
    files..

    But just for the sake of mentioning alternative solutions, there is
    the HDD in or connected to another machine. And there is the NTFS4DOS
    like stuff.
    , Dec 3, 2007
  7. "BillW50" <> wrote in message
    > In news:,
    > typed on Wed, 28 Nov 2007 11:30:27 -0800 (PST):
    >> ... For that you are better off with Win XP PE. Or
    >> something like UBCD...

    > Windows XP PE isn't available for most folks. How about Bart's PE?
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BartPE
    >
    > --
    > Bill

    But you still need the original XP CD (or similar) to set up a bootable
    Barts CD.

    Mike
    Bloke Down The Pub, Dec 3, 2007
  8. Thomas

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:47548bbd$0$22911$,
    Bloke Down The Pub typed on Tue, 4 Dec 2007 08:03:30 +0900:
    > "BillW50" <> wrote in message
    >> In
    >> typed on Wed, 28 Nov 2007 11:30:27 -0800
    >> (PST):
    >>> ... For that you are better off with Win XP PE. Or
    >>> something like UBCD...

    >> Windows XP PE isn't available for most folks. How about Bart's PE?
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BartPE

    > But you still need the original XP CD (or similar) to set up a
    > bootable Barts CD.
    >
    > Mike

    Well yes! Important to mention I guess. :)

    --
    Bill
    BillW50, Dec 3, 2007