    Kyle :eek:)

    $1-million US dollars to sensfan_luvslisa (at) yahoo (dot) ca. Change the
    reply. Money gets faster attention :)
    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Jun 13, 2005

  2. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    JANA Guest

    I believe it is 4 times. With XP there is no need to keep reformatting and
    reinstalling. Just do a defrag every once in a while.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    "Sens Fan Happy In Ohio" <> wrote in message
    Seeing as how my Windows XP seems to be a bogus copy, I'm considering
    purchasing a legit version. My question is, how many times can one
    re-install the same version of XP before Microsoft shuts you down? I seem
    to recall a thread many months (or years) back that said it was 4 times. I
    want to know the number because I make it a habit of cleaning and
    re-formatting my HDD every 6 months and re-installing a new and clean O/S.

    Thanks!

    JANA, Jun 13, 2005

  3. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    WormWood Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support

    WormWood, Jun 14, 2005
  4. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    aleX Guest

    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio wrote:
    > Seeing as how my Windows XP seems to be a bogus copy, I'm considering
    > purchasing a legit version. My question is, how many times can one
    > re-install the same version of XP before Microsoft shuts you down? I seem
    > to recall a thread many months (or years) back that said it was 4 times. I
    > want to know the number because I make it a habit of cleaning and
    > re-formatting my HDD every 6 months and re-installing a new and clean O/S.
    >
    > Thanks!

    You may need to call them if you hit your 'limit', but i've read a few
    reports that say as long as you have an *original* CD and a reasonable
    explanation for why you need to reinstall they are happy to let you go
    ahead.
    aleX, Jun 14, 2005
  5. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "aleX" <> wrote in message
    > Sens Fan Happy In Ohio wrote:
    >> Seeing as how my Windows XP seems to be a bogus copy, I'm considering
    >> purchasing a legit version. My question is, how many times can one
    >> re-install the same version of XP before Microsoft shuts you down? I
    >> seem to recall a thread many months (or years) back that said it was 4
    >> times. I want to know the number because I make it a habit of cleaning
    >> and re-formatting my HDD every 6 months and re-installing a new and clean
    >> O/S.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>

    > You may need to call them if you hit your 'limit', but i've read a few
    > reports that say as long as you have an *original* CD and a reasonable
    > explanation for why you need to reinstall they are happy to let you go
    > ahead.

    Yup. Done that. Several times in fact, with both Windows and Office.
    Toolman Tim, Jun 14, 2005
  6. aleX wrote:

    > You may need to call them if you hit your 'limit', but i've read a few
    > reports that say as long as you have an *original* CD and a reasonable
    > explanation for why you need to reinstall they are happy to let you go
    > ahead.

    Bummer to have to call and beg, with that rental OS.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jun 14, 2005
  7. In news:, JANA <> first
    attempted to communicate with pen, but the writing was small, so next used
    sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away, and then switched to spray
    paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so placed fingers to keyboard for
    this:

    > I believe it is 4 times. With XP there is no need to keep
    > reformatting and reinstalling. Just do a defrag every once in a while.

    Defrag does not remove leftover traces of old programs, give me a fresh
    registry, remove any possible spyware that's been missed by CounterSpy, or
    just give me the peace of mind in knowing that after 6 months of playing
    around online that every 6 months my O/S will be virtually good as new with
    no hang-ups, foul-ups or screw-ups ... other than those from the O/S itself.
    All Defrag does is organize files to make it run "smoothly" and the Windows
    Defrag is a piece of junk anyhow.
    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Jun 15, 2005
  8. In news:d8l7bb$akq$, aleX <>
    first attempted to communicate with pen, but the writing was small, so next
    used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away, and then switched to spray
    paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so placed fingers to keyboard for
    this:

    > You may need to call them if you hit your 'limit', but i've read a few
    > reports that say as long as you have an *original* CD and a reasonable
    > explanation for why you need to reinstall they are happy to let you go
    > ahead.

    Wow ... they're easy to work with? Hmmm ... sounds good then. Just never
    understood this 'limit' thing when I read it way back when. I know the
    'logic' behind it but if I've paid $100 for the damn CD I think I should be
    able to install, delete and re-install the damn O/S as many times as I see
    fit. Microshaft only has a complaint when I post it online for everyone to
    use or give a copy to someone else. Otherwise what I do with it should be
    none of their business. Damn "Big Brother" syndrome is all it is.

    Thanks for the input, BTW. That's a big help and makes it sound like it's
    worth it without the hassle.
    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Jun 15, 2005
  9. Neither does a format really, all it does is to remove the filetable so the
    HD forgets where all the stuff is and considers itself clean. The files all
    exist and can be recovered with a system rescue disk;
    Incidently, defrag does a little bit more than just reorganise things, it
    also checks for bits of erroneous data and deletes them, generaly cleans up
    left over detritus and cleans the registry of things it just doesn't need
    anymore.

    Robert Withall, Jun 28, 2005