Windows XP question...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Apr 20, 2012.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hi Folks, I'm still running XP and am happy with it. However I've noticed
    new behaviour recently that has actually caught me out a couple of times.

    It used to be that, if you copied files or folders into a folder or onto a
    flash drive (for instance) they would stay in the order that they were
    copied until you went 'View' - 'Refresh'. However, I noticed a wee while ago
    that my folders have started periodically refreshing themselves (and
    alphabetising the contents). It seems to happen several times a minute.

    Is anyone else still using XP and seeing this? (I download and apply all
    updates.) The first time I noticed it was when I (thought) I knew that I was
    deleting first, third and sixth files from a flash drive and when I'd done
    it realised that they'd 'moved' and I'd deleted the wrong ones. I ran my AV
    and malware programmes but they found nothing.

    So, anyone? If it *is* a new feature is there a way to turn it off?

    Thanks,
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Apr 20, 2012

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > Hi Folks, I'm still running XP and am happy with it. However I've
    > noticed new behaviour recently that has actually caught me out a
    > couple of times.
    > It used to be that, if you copied files or folders into a folder or
    > onto a flash drive (for instance) they would stay in the order that
    > they were copied until you went 'View' - 'Refresh'. However, I
    > noticed a wee while ago that my folders have started periodically
    > refreshing themselves (and alphabetising the contents). It seems to
    > happen several times a minute.
    > Is anyone else still using XP and seeing this? (I download and apply
    > all updates.) The first time I noticed it was when I (thought) I knew
    > that I was deleting first, third and sixth files from a flash drive
    > and when I'd done it realised that they'd 'moved' and I'd deleted the
    > wrong ones. I ran my AV and malware programmes but they found nothing.
    >
    > So, anyone? If it *is* a new feature is there a way to turn it off?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Ok, I resorted to Google and it seems that a Windows Explorer update was
    responsible. Lots of people not liking the new system (which I gather is
    also part of W7 and lots of folks using 7 don't like it either) but the only
    'fix' that looked reasonable was here:
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1040266854 So, I've deleted the
    registry keys and am now crossing my fingers.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Apr 20, 2012

  3. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    On 4/20/2012 8:11 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Ok, I resorted to Google and it seems that a Windows Explorer update was
    > responsible. Lots of people not liking the new system (which I gather is
    > also part of W7 and lots of folks using 7 don't like it either) but the only
    > 'fix' that looked reasonable was here:
    > http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1040266854 So, I've deleted the
    > registry keys and am now crossing my fingers.

    Really annoying when it does that when you are in the middle of a rename.

    Richard, Apr 20, 2012
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    > On 4/20/2012 8:11 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, I resorted to Google and it seems that a Windows Explorer update
    >> was responsible. Lots of people not liking the new system (which I
    >> gather is also part of W7 and lots of folks using 7 don't like it
    >> either) but the only 'fix' that looked reasonable was here:
    >> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1040266854 So, I've
    >> deleted the registry keys and am now crossing my fingers.

    > Really annoying when it does that when you are in the middle of a
    > rename.

    Shit yeah. I hope that I've fixed it with that reg edit. I haven't been into
    folders much tonight, will find out soon I guess.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Apr 20, 2012
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    >> On 4/20/2012 8:11 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ok, I resorted to Google and it seems that a Windows Explorer update
    >>> was responsible. Lots of people not liking the new system (which I
    >>> gather is also part of W7 and lots of folks using 7 don't like it
    >>> either) but the only 'fix' that looked reasonable was here:
    >>> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1040266854 So, I've
    >>> deleted the registry keys and am now crossing my fingers.

    >> Really annoying when it does that when you are in the middle of a
    >> rename.

    > Shit yeah. I hope that I've fixed it with that reg edit. I haven't
    > been into folders much tonight, will find out soon I guess.

    So, just as a follow-up - The fix located at the link above *did* work
    (thank the gods). Now my folders don't keep auto-sorting every ~20 seconds -
    or at all! Woohoo! <g>

    ~misfit~, Apr 29, 2012