Windows XP question

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Hitchhiker, Oct 22, 2005.

  1. Hitchhiker

    Hitchhiker Guest

    I have gathered to me an old copy of Windows XPpro (before the sp's)
    and the 6 boot discs needed for a reformat. With success more times
    than not, I know it all works. I am able to do the Windows update and
    retrieve the online sp2 updates everytime.
    Well, almost everytime. The last time I tried to get the windows
    updates I was helping a friend with their computer, a different brand
    name than my own, and I had to almost literally jump through hoops to
    get the windows updates.
    I didn't much care for the experience and would rather not do it
    again. I just downloaded and saved to disc the file
    WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU. All 266mb's of it...

    My questions are this: When I decide to reformat with the old copy of
    Windows XP pro with the 6 boot discs, and it has finished; when I
    double click the file WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU (the icon looks like
    a DOS program icon) to install it, does my computer have to be
    connected to the internet for the installation, or would I be wasting
    my time trying to do this in the first place?

    I have come across a website about slip streaming but I am not
    computer savey enough to follow the easy to understand instructions
    provided for the slip streaming process.

    Hitchhiker, Oct 22, 2005

  2. Hitchhiker

    bmoag Guest

    You can indeed keep the SP2 upgrade as a separate program and install it as
    you like.
    But:
    You cannot install WinXP on as many computers as you like without running
    into Windows activation problems.
    If you have not properly activated WinXP the Microsoft update site will no
    longer let you download the latest updates. You have to install an active X
    control, source of most of Windows security problems, so that Microsoft will
    allow you to continue to try to repair the insecure operating system they
    sold you. This is the Microsoft version of Catch 22.
    There are ways to finesse, get around and legitimately get new activation
    codes for old, mulitply used copies of WinXP that are familiar to people who
    frequently upgrade their computers.
    For example, I have several computers that have gone through multiple
    motherboard upgrades and every time WinXP is reinstalled the automatic
    activation fails and I have to call the Microsoft activation center (it is
    in India: Microsoft is just as patriotic as every other multi-national,
    nominally American company). Eventually Microsoft will be less cooperative
    about giving out new activitation codes although they are required to if
    that copy of the operating system is only installed on one computer at a
    time.

    bmoag, Oct 23, 2005