    I see what is running in the background so I can shut some of them off ?
    Thanks,
    Raz

    Hilltop Cycle ATV, Feb 12, 2006

  2. Hilltop Cycle ATV

    Eli Coten Guest

    Hilltop Cycle ATV wrote:
    > On my windows 98' , I could hit ALT Crtrl Del and find out what programs are
    > running in the background . Well, with XP that doesn't seem to work . How do
    > I see what is running in the background so I can shut some of them off ?
    > Thanks,
    > Raz

    What actually happens when you press CTRL - ALT - DELETE? Windows XP
    should bring up task manager, which does show which programs run in the
    background in much more detail that you could ever hope for in Windows 98.

    Eli

    Eli Coten, Feb 12, 2006

  3. Hilltop Cycle ATV

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Eli Coten wrote:
    > Hilltop Cycle ATV wrote:
    >
    >> On my windows 98' , I could hit ALT Crtrl Del and find out what
    >> programs are running in the background . Well, with XP that doesn't
    >> seem to work . How do I see what is running in the background so I can
    >> shut some of them off ?
    >> Thanks,
    >> Raz
    >>

    > What actually happens when you press CTRL - ALT - DELETE? Windows XP
    > should bring up task manager, which does show which programs run in the
    > background in much more detail that you could ever hope for in Windows 98.

    The only way it wouldn't work is if the OP's machine has malware running
    that's preventing the Task Manager from showing that prevents the user
    from seeing what is running.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Feb 12, 2006
  4. Hilltop Cycle ATV

    Eli Coten Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:
    > Eli Coten wrote:
    >> Hilltop Cycle ATV wrote:
    >>
    >>> On my windows 98' , I could hit ALT Crtrl Del and find out what
    >>> programs are running in the background . Well, with XP that doesn't
    >>> seem to work . How do I see what is running in the background so I
    >>> can shut some of them off ?
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Raz
    >>>

    >> What actually happens when you press CTRL - ALT - DELETE? Windows XP
    >> should bring up task manager, which does show which programs run in
    >> the background in much more detail that you could ever hope for in
    >> Windows 98.
    >>

    > The only way it wouldn't work is if the OP's machine has malware running
    > that's preventing the Task Manager from showing that prevents the user
    > from seeing what is running.
    >
    > Duane :)

    Or possibly if it was connected to a domain it would have a Windows
    Security box with options for Logoff, change password, Lock computer,
    Shut down, Task manager, cancel on CTRL-ALT-DELETE. It is also possible
    to make this come up on a computer not connected to a domain by
    disabling the Welcome Screen.

    Eli

    Eli Coten, Feb 12, 2006
  5. "Eli Coten" <> wrote in message
    > Hilltop Cycle ATV wrote:
    >> On my windows 98' , I could hit ALT Crtrl Del and find out what programs
    >> are running in the background . Well, with XP that doesn't seem to work .
    >> How do I see what is running in the background so I can shut some of them
    >> off ?
    >> Thanks,
    >> Raz
    >>

    > What actually happens when you press CTRL - ALT - DELETE? Windows XP
    > should bring up task manager, which does show which programs run in the
    > background in much more detail that you could ever hope for in Windows 98.
    >
    > Eli

    It only seems to show what I am doing on the net at the time . Like right
    now it is showing "re:Windows XP Programs Help " and "alt.computer-Outlook
    Express " with it showing Status "Running" . This is all under the
    "Applications" tab. I know there has to be other things running in the
    background that aren't being shown.

    Thanks,
    Raz

    Hilltop Cycle ATV, Feb 12, 2006
  6. Hilltop Cycle ATV

    Eli Coten Guest

    Hilltop Cycle ATV wrote:
    > "Eli Coten" <> wrote in message
    >> Hilltop Cycle ATV wrote:
    >>> On my windows 98' , I could hit ALT Crtrl Del and find out what programs
    >>> are running in the background . Well, with XP that doesn't seem to work .
    >>> How do I see what is running in the background so I can shut some of them
    >>> off ?
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Raz
    >>>

    >> What actually happens when you press CTRL - ALT - DELETE? Windows XP
    >> should bring up task manager, which does show which programs run in the
    >> background in much more detail that you could ever hope for in Windows 98.
    >>
    >> Eli
    >>

    > It only seems to show what I am doing on the net at the time . Like right
    > now it is showing "re:Windows XP Programs Help " and "alt.computer-Outlook
    > Express " with it showing Status "Running" . This is all under the
    > "Applications" tab. I know there has to be other things running in the
    > background that aren't being shown.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Raz

    >> News==----
    >> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
    >> Newsgroups
    >> =----

    Clic the processes tab. If you cannot see a processes tab, then try
    double clicking near the edge of the window (I have never really found a
    useful purpose for this 'hidden' doube click feature).

    Eli

    Eli Coten, Feb 12, 2006
  7. Hilltop Cycle ATV

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Hilltop Cycle ATV wrote:
    > "Eli Coten" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Hilltop Cycle ATV wrote:
    >>
    >>>On my windows 98' , I could hit ALT Crtrl Del and find out what programs
    >>>are running in the background . Well, with XP that doesn't seem to work .
    >>>How do I see what is running in the background so I can shut some of them
    >>>off ?
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>Raz
    >>>

    >>What actually happens when you press CTRL - ALT - DELETE? Windows XP
    >>should bring up task manager, which does show which programs run in the
    >>background in much more detail that you could ever hope for in Windows 98.
    >>
    >>Eli
    >>

    > It only seems to show what I am doing on the net at the time . Like right
    > now it is showing "re:Windows XP Programs Help " and "alt.computer-Outlook
    > Express " with it showing Status "Running" . This is all under the
    > "Applications" tab. I know there has to be other things running in the
    > background that aren't being shown.

    Yeah, you're correct as to there are other processes running with a
    process that you are not seeing. You only see the top process running
    with any given process and you don't see the other processes that are
    running with that process, which you can use Process Explorer or PrcView
    both are free to see a process that's running and all the hidden
    processes that are running with a given process.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Feb 12, 2006
  8. "Eli Coten" <> wrote in message
    > Hilltop Cycle ATV wrote:
    >> "Eli Coten" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> What actually happens when you press CTRL - ALT - DELETE? Windows XP
    >>> should bring up task manager, which does show which programs run in the
    >>> background in much more detail that you could ever hope for in Windows
    >>> 98.
    >>>
    >>> Eli
    >>>

    >> It only seems to show what I am doing on the net at the time . Like right
    >> now it is showing "re:Windows XP Programs Help " and
    >> "alt.computer-Outlook Express " with it showing Status "Running" . This
    >> is all under the "Applications" tab. I know there has to be other things
    >> running in the background that aren't being shown.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Raz

    >>> News==----
    >>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
    >>> Newsgroups
    >>> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
    >>> =----

    > Clic the processes tab. If you cannot see a processes tab, then try double
    > clicking near the edge of the window (I have never really found a useful
    > purpose for this 'hidden' doube click feature).
    >
    > Eli

    Ok,
    Now how do I know which ones I can shut off ?
    And still let XP run correctly ?
    Thanks,
    Raz

    Hilltop Cycle ATV, Feb 13, 2006
  9. Hilltop Cycle ATV

    Duane Arnold Guest

    http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

    Duane Arnold, Feb 13, 2006
  10. Hilltop Cycle ATV

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Hilltop Cycle ATV wrote:
    > "Eli Coten" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Hilltop Cycle ATV wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Eli Coten" <> wrote in message

    >>>It only seems to show what I am doing on the net at the time . Like right
    >>>now it is showing "re:Windows XP Programs Help " and
    >>>"alt.computer-Outlook Express " with it showing Status "Running" . This
    >>>is all under the "Applications" tab. I know there has to be other things
    >>>running in the background that aren't being shown.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>Raz

    >>Clic the processes tab. If you cannot see a processes tab, then try double
    >>clicking near the edge of the window (I have never really found a useful
    >>purpose for this 'hidden' doube click feature).
    >>
    >>Eli
    >>

    > Ok,
    > Now how do I know which ones I can shut off ?
    > And still let XP run correctly ?
    > Thanks,
    > Raz

    Shutting down services or processes on a machine that has a direct
    connection to the Internet using the XP NT based O/S is just part of
    hardening the O/S to attack.

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm

    Duane Arnold, Feb 13, 2006