    xp service pack two. When I try to install, I receive an error message,
    saying, this version of windows cannot be installed on this machine. I have
    a Dell Inspiron 5160.

    =?Utf-8?B?Y2hhcm5hYQ==?=, Sep 25, 2006

  2. My Guess is that your processor (CPU) does not support a 64bit operating
    system, only 32 bit, which is what the majority of PC's still use. When I
    tried the same last Saturday however the error message on installation quite
    specifically said: 'This computer does not support a 64 Bit operating system'
    or 'requires a 64bit processor' or something of this ilk. So I upgraded the
    motherboard and CPU, which is something which you cannot do so easily on a
    laptop. You will need to buy a new one! Try a top of the range IBM lenovo
    Thinkpad and ask the vendor for confirmation it will support a 64 bit OS.

    rgrds Marcus

    =?Utf-8?B?TGFzYW5jbXQ=?=, Sep 25, 2006

  3. RE: Windows XP Professional x 64 Edition Student Media/Work AT Hom

    PS Thinking about it a bit further: There may not even be a 64 Bit processor
    Portable on the market yet. This is what I picked up from a Google search on
    the subject:
    Intel Mobile Processor Desiger VP Interviewed - Says 64-bit processing "not
    important" right now for mobile processors

    TGDaily interviewed Intel VP Dadi (David) Perlmutter who has been
    responsible for developing the Centrino and Pentium M platform at Intel.
    He's been with the company for 25 years and was responsible for early
    innovations such as developing math co-processors in the pre-486 era, the
    Pentium I and the Intel MMX technology.

    Interestingly David was asked by TGDaily why Intel is "not including support
    for 64-bit technology in Yonah?" David responded that "Our assumption was,
    and still is, that 64-bit extensions are not the most important thing
    required from a processor, not even in the beginning of 2006. We believe this
    will change with Windows Vista, when applications start migrating to 64-bit,
    and we want to be ready then, and not a minute earlier."

    So Intel's argument is that power consumption and not 64-bit capability is
    what's important with the dual core Yonah. Important to note is that the
    Merom platform due for beginning of 2007 that will follow-up on the dual-core
    Yonah will support 64-bit. Early 2007 is also the expected release frame for
    Windows Vista so 64-bit Intel mobile processors should coincide with the
    release of Vista.

    More:
    http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/11/08/q_and_a_intel_dadi_perlmutter/index.html

    =?Utf-8?B?TGFzYW5jbXQ=?=, Sep 25, 2006
  4. Re: Windows XP Professional x 64 Edition Student Media/Work AT Hom

    Gee, if there isn't a 64bit laptop out there, what the heck have I been
    running for over a year now?

    AMD Turion 64 has been around for well over a year, and does quite well
    running x64 Edition, FWIW. And the latest round of Intel "Core 2 Duo"
    processors support EM64T, the Intel name for their clone of the AMD64
    instruction set.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 26, 2006
  5. Re: Windows XP Professional x 64 Edition Student Media/Work AT Hom

    My wife has been running an AMD64 based laptop since June of 2005.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 26, 2006
  6. Re: Windows XP Professional x 64 Edition Student Media/Work AT Hom

    Thanks for all the help. after doing more research, i would need to update
    to a 64 bit in order to run x64. however, if upgrading to vista, a 64 bit is
    not neccessary. i ran the test and my computer is compatible with vista,
    once it becomes available.

    =?Utf-8?B?Y2hhcm5hYQ==?=, Sep 26, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Y2hhcm5hYQ==?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    (Just a guess, hard to get what the problem is out of the post.)
    Are you trying to install SP2 on your Windows XP x64 system? That sounds
    about like the error you would get.
    SP2 for Windows XP is only for the 32-bit version. SP2 for XP x64 is still
    in beta.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Sep 26, 2006
  8. Re: Windows XP Professional x 64 Edition Student Media/Work AT Hom

    Correct - there are 32-bit and 64 bit versions of Vista, and you could run
    the 32-bit version assuming you meet the minimum requirements.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 26, 2006
  9. RE: Windows XP Professional x 64 Edition Student Media/Work AT Hom

    Hi,
    Both Dell and HP are shipping 64-bit notebooks (I personally haven't checked
    out HP yet) as my son just bought a Dell 64-bit notebook with Windows Pro x64
    pre-installed by Dell.

    Hope this helps.
    --
    Tom