Windows XP Professional to XP Home, how to retrieve past files? Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MINxJAE@gmail.com, Jul 3, 2007.

  1. Guest

    One day my computer randomly shut down, and when I tried to turn my
    computer back on, it would run into a blue screen and say some file is
    corrupted. So I thought, "I should put in a XP Windows cd and Repair
    it."
    I had been currently running on a Windows Professional version and i
    chose the Repair option with a Windows Home CD, because that is all I
    had and found.
    Everything seemed to go smoothly, and everything installed, then I
    checked my documents where all my huge paper assignments were, but I
    couldn't find any, but then going into C: and then Program Files,
    everything was basically in there, all my previous programs. And then
    I checked my Hard Drive and it was full, which means everything I had
    from before is still in my computer.
    Also going into Documents and Settings, I find both the account i
    created from installing XP Home and also the account folder from my
    previous XP Professional version.
    I have very important documents and huge homework assignments I need
    to get out from my XP Professional version account.
    Can anyone help or have any sort of ideas? If you need more
    information to help, I will try my best to supply you with more.
    Please! And I greatly appreciate your time for reading this.

    , Jul 3, 2007

  2. Guest

    "" <> wrote:

    >One day my computer randomly shut down, and when I tried to turn my
    >computer back on, it would run into a blue screen and say some file is
    >corrupted. So I thought, "I should put in a XP Windows cd and Repair
    >it."
    >I had been currently running on a Windows Professional version and i
    >chose the Repair option with a Windows Home CD, because that is all I
    >had and found.
    >Everything seemed to go smoothly, and everything installed, then I
    >checked my documents where all my huge paper assignments were, but I
    >couldn't find any, but then going into C: and then Program Files,
    >everything was basically in there, all my previous programs. And then
    >I checked my Hard Drive and it was full, which means everything I had
    >from before is still in my computer.
    >Also going into Documents and Settings, I find both the account i
    >created from installing XP Home and also the account folder from my
    >previous XP Professional version.
    >I have very important documents and huge homework assignments I need
    >to get out from my XP Professional version account.
    >Can anyone help or have any sort of ideas? If you need more
    >information to help, I will try my best to supply you with more.
    >Please! And I greatly appreciate your time for reading this.

    There are two repair options... next time use the second one.

    You need to create another user account and transfer almost everything
    from the old to the new.

    Can't access the directory - Google: taking access of a directory.
    --

    Tee Shirts
    http://tinyurl.com/39aj4t

    , Jul 3, 2007

  3. Guest

    Hmm, almost. The thing is, when i try to open the folder i need to get
    into, which is from the Professional XP one, it says C:\Docum... is
    not accessible. Access is Denied...

    Is there anything else?

    , Jul 3, 2007
  4. Guest

    , Jul 3, 2007
  5. Guest

    wrote:

    >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

    "If you are using Windows XP Professional, you must disable Simple
    File Sharing. By default, Windows XP Professional uses Simple File
    sharing when it is not joined to a domain."

    This could cause you a problem (finding it).

    Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View.
    Way down at the bottom is simple file sharing - disable if needed.
    --

    Tee Shirts
    http://tinyurl.com/39aj4t

    , Jul 3, 2007
  6. Ron Martell Guest

    "" <> wrote:

    >One day my computer randomly shut down, and when I tried to turn my
    >computer back on, it would run into a blue screen and say some file is
    >corrupted. So I thought, "I should put in a XP Windows cd and Repair
    >it."
    >I had been currently running on a Windows Professional version and i
    >chose the Repair option with a Windows Home CD, because that is all I
    >had and found.
    >Everything seemed to go smoothly, and everything installed, then I
    >checked my documents where all my huge paper assignments were, but I
    >couldn't find any, but then going into C: and then Program Files,
    >everything was basically in there, all my previous programs. And then
    >I checked my Hard Drive and it was full, which means everything I had
    >from before is still in my computer.
    >Also going into Documents and Settings, I find both the account i
    >created from installing XP Home and also the account folder from my
    >previous XP Professional version.
    >I have very important documents and huge homework assignments I need
    >to get out from my XP Professional version account.
    >Can anyone help or have any sort of ideas? If you need more
    >information to help, I will try my best to supply you with more.
    >Please! And I greatly appreciate your time for reading this.

    You may need to "take ownership" of the files. With XP Home edition
    you will have to boot into Safe Mode in order to get access to the
    security tab in the folder properties.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, Jul 3, 2007
  7. Ron Martell Guest

    "" <> wrote:

    >One day my computer randomly shut down, and when I tried to turn my
    >computer back on, it would run into a blue screen and say some file is
    >corrupted. So I thought, "I should put in a XP Windows cd and Repair
    >it."
    >I had been currently running on a Windows Professional version and i
    >chose the Repair option with a Windows Home CD, because that is all I
    >had and found.
    >Everything seemed to go smoothly, and everything installed, then I
    >checked my documents where all my huge paper assignments were, but I
    >couldn't find any, but then going into C: and then Program Files,
    >everything was basically in there, all my previous programs. And then
    >I checked my Hard Drive and it was full, which means everything I had
    >from before is still in my computer.
    >Also going into Documents and Settings, I find both the account i
    >created from installing XP Home and also the account folder from my
    >previous XP Professional version.
    >I have very important documents and huge homework assignments I need
    >to get out from my XP Professional version account.
    >Can anyone help or have any sort of ideas? If you need more
    >information to help, I will try my best to supply you with more.
    >Please! And I greatly appreciate your time for reading this.

    Whoops. It would help if I included the link to the relevant KB
    articles, woudn't it.

    https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421

    Ron Martell, Jul 3, 2007
  8. Guest

    Ron Martell <> wrote:

    >Whoops. It would help if I included the link to the relevant KB
    >articles, woudn't it.

    >How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
    >https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421

    What's your password?

    "Sign into the MVP site

    Please sign in here.

    The content you have selected is available only to members"

    --
    Microsoft apologizes for "Ultimate Extras" embarrassment
    (Vista Ultimate) http://tinyurl.com/ytefpm

    , Jul 3, 2007
  9. Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 11:03:31 -0700, wrote:

    >What's your password?
    >
    >"Sign into the MVP site
    >
    >Please sign in here.
    >
    >The content you have selected is available only to members"

    You can use myne.

    It's ********* .

    Evan Platt, Jul 3, 2007
  10. Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 11:03:31 -0700, wrote:
    >

    >>What's your password?
    >>
    >>"Sign into the MVP site
    >>
    >>Please sign in here.
    >>
    >>The content you have selected is available only to members"

    >You can use myne.
    >
    >It's ********* .

    Just questioning why one would have to log in,
    and this one works
    http://www.bugmenot.com/view/mvp.support.microsoft.com

  11. Ron Martell Guest

    wrote:

    > Ron Martell <> wrote:
    >
    >>Whoops. It would help if I included the link to the relevant KB
    >>articles, woudn't it.

    >>How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421

    >What's your password?

    Double whoops.

    try http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421

    Apologies.

    Ron Martell, Jul 3, 2007
  12. Guest

    well i fixed it!!! thank you so much . you are
    freakin ninja man! haha

    , Jul 5, 2007
  13. Guest

    , Jul 6, 2007