Windows XP Professional 64 Bit Edition installed onto an extended.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by umwhat, May 8, 2008.

  1. umwhat

    umwhat Guest

    ....partition and I did not tell it to....that is funny isn't
    it?...anyway...the harddrive is a 320GB Sata 3.0GB/sec harddrive and has 2
    partitions, 1 @ 278GB and 1 @ 20GB with the backed up files left over from a
    Windows XP installation and the files I used to install the drivers for 64
    Bit Professional.
    The 278GB partition is labled D: and the small partition is labelled C:
    which after my mere 4 years of computing leaves me feeling somewhat
    disappointed, mostly because I think the first partition should be labelled
    C: and the smaller partition I think should be labelled D: .

    ....the next bit is supposed to be a joke and has nothing to do with my
    question...

    ...I would like to add...lol...how pleased I am this evening that the
    internet connection rates I am experiencing are keeping me up all the hours
    of today and alot of the hours tomorrow downloading and simply enjoying very
    fast internet. This phenomenon is due I think to the fact that I put the
    burgular alarm filter in the telephone socket on the wall where the burgular
    alarm plugs in and put the filter intended for the SkyTV digital television
    decoder and its telephony functions into the telephone wall socket that has
    the broadband router we use. The download rate is now a wonderful 1200Kbps
    which is about 2 and 3 times faster than the rates we were experiencing 'til
    this wonderful day.

    --
    ....scribble...scribble...scribble...

    umwhat, May 8, 2008

  2. Maybe I missed it, but what is your question?

    Bobby Johnson, May 8, 2008

  3. umwhat

    umwhat Guest

    Re: Windows XP Professional 64 Bit Edition installed onto an exten

    I t seems odd thWindows should install to a D: drive when I would think it
    would default install to a C: drive. Why has it done this and why did the
    installation make an extended partition and not a primary partition.
    From what I have seen I can not change the drive letters I could make D:
    drive a Dynamic Partition but would that help make it into the C: drive.

    umwhat, May 8, 2008
  4. umwhat

    R. C. White Guest

    Re: Windows XP Professional 64 Bit Edition installed onto an exten

    Hi, umwhat.

    WinXP or Vista don't much care whether they are on a primary partition or on
    a logical drive in an extended partition. And they don't care if they are
    installed on Drive C: or Drive D: or Drive X:. They go where YOU tell them,
    even if you are sleepwalking at the time and don't pay attention to the
    dialog boxes.

    Once installed, there is no way for us mere mortals to change the drive
    letters for the System Partition or the Boot Volume short of starting over
    and installing again.

    You might want to read a couple of KB articles:
    Definitions for system volume and boot volume
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/314470/EN-US/

    You cannot change the system volume drive letter after Setup
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223769

    Disk Management will let us change the other drive letters, but not the
    System Partition and, if different, the Boot Volume.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    "umwhat" <> wrote in message
    > I t seems odd thWindows should install to a D: drive when I would think it
    > would default install to a C: drive. Why has it done this and why did the
    > installation make an extended partition and not a primary partition.
    > From what I have seen I can not change the drive letters I could make D:
    > drive a Dynamic Partition but would that help make it into the C: drive.
    >

    > --
    > ...scribble...scribble...scribble...
    >

    > "Bobby Johnson" wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe I missed it, but what is your question?
    >>

    >> umwhat wrote:
    >> > ...partition and I did not tell it to....that is funny isn't
    >> > it?...anyway...the harddrive is a 320GB Sata 3.0GB/sec harddrive and
    >> > has 2
    >> > partitions, 1 @ 278GB and 1 @ 20GB with the backed up files left over
    >> > from a
    >> > Windows XP installation and the files I used to install the drivers for
    >> > 64
    >> > Bit Professional.
    >> > The 278GB partition is labled D: and the small partition is labelled
    >> > C:
    >> > which after my mere 4 years of computing leaves me feeling somewhat
    >> > disappointed, mostly because I think the first partition should be
    >> > labelled
    >> > C: and the smaller partition I think should be labelled D: .

    <SNIP>

    R. C. White, May 8, 2008
  5. Re: Windows XP Professional 64 Bit Edition installed onto an exten

    Hello,
    Correct.
    If you boot to the CD to do CD\DVD to do an installation with Windows XP or
    Windows Server 2003 ( Either 32-bit or 64-bit)
    The local hard drive volumes are enumerated and assigned drive letters.
    The first active primary partition it finds it given drive letter C.
    If a volume exists it gets a drive letter, if you create a new volume it
    gets the next available drive letter.
    Setup does not reallocate hard drive letters, so if you delete a volume,
    that drive letter is reserved in that setup session.
    Even if you create a new volume, that new volume gets the next free drive
    letter. The existing drive letters are available after setup completes or
    if you reboot to the CD\DVD

    Drive Letter C,
    Windows doesn't care like R.C states.
    The majority of customers do not care.
    However a very small number of people care and care in different ways.
    Some want the drive to always be C:, some do not want it to be C:
    If the drive letter has to be C: make sure it's the first primary active
    partition on the drive when you run setup.

    Changing it after the OS is installed would cause any number or problems
    with the OS.
    There are references to the installed drive letter throughout the system.
    Each of those would have to be changed for the system to work properly.

    The default for setup is to create a primary partition as the first
    partition and create an Extended partition if a primary already exists on
    the system.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], May 9, 2008
  6. umwhat

    R. C. White Guest

    Re: Windows XP Professional 64 Bit Edition installed onto an exten

    Hi, Darrell.

    Thanks for jumping in! ;<)

    I'd like to remind the OP that you said, "If you boot to the... CD\DVD to do
    an installation..." The results are different if you run Vista Setup from
    within WinXP. (My mindset is Vista and I kind of forgot that the OP said
    WinXP x64.)

    Later, you said:
    > If the drive letter has to be C: make sure it's the first primary active
    > partition on the drive when you run setup.

    Often there are more than one hard drive, and sometimes they are a mix of
    IDE (PATA)/SATA/SCSI/USB... In this situation, the BIOS and the operating
    system can disagree as to which is "the drive when you run setup." :>(

    Since I have only one computer and Vista has been very stable, I've not had
    to reinstall Vista since I rebuilt my system over a year ago. But I recall
    the many reinstalls during the long beta period. I still have several
    multi-boots installed, but seldom boot into anything but Vista Ultimate x64,
    which is in Drive C:, the first logical drive in the extended partition on
    my second HD. Each of my 3 HDs has a System Partition, but I seldom use any
    other than Drive D:, which is the first (only) primary active partition on
    that second HD. My WinXP refused to boot at about the time Vista went RTM
    and all my sporadic attempts to revive it with a repair install have failed,
    so I haven't run WinXP in a year and a half. When WinXP w/SP3 arrives Real
    Soon Now, I may try the repair install again. I do boot into a separate
    WinXP x64 occasionally, just to be sure I still can.

    Note that it is NOT necessary for WinXP and Vista to agree on which volume
    is Drive C:, or any other letter. Each operating system keeps its own
    letter assignments. But I've made sure that they agree that my WinXP is in
    Drive F:, the first logical drive in the extended partition on my first HD.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    ""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > Correct.
    > If you boot to the CD to do CD\DVD to do an installation with Windows XP
    > or
    > Windows Server 2003 ( Either 32-bit or 64-bit)
    > The local hard drive volumes are enumerated and assigned drive letters.
    > The first active primary partition it finds it given drive letter C.
    > If a volume exists it gets a drive letter, if you create a new volume it
    > gets the next available drive letter.
    > Setup does not reallocate hard drive letters, so if you delete a volume,
    > that drive letter is reserved in that setup session.
    > Even if you create a new volume, that new volume gets the next free drive
    > letter. The existing drive letters are available after setup completes or
    > if you reboot to the CD\DVD
    >
    > Drive Letter C,
    > Windows doesn't care like R.C states.
    > The majority of customers do not care.
    > However a very small number of people care and care in different ways.
    > Some want the drive to always be C:, some do not want it to be C:
    > If the drive letter has to be C: make sure it's the first primary active
    > partition on the drive when you run setup.
    >
    > Changing it after the OS is installed would cause any number or problems
    > with the OS.
    > There are references to the installed drive letter throughout the system.
    > Each of those would have to be changed for the system to work properly.
    >
    > The default for setup is to create a primary partition as the first
    > partition and create an Extended partition if a primary already exists on
    > the system.
    > Thanks,
    > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    <SNIP>

    R. C. White, May 9, 2008
  7. Re: Windows XP Professional 64 Bit Edition installed onto an exten

    Hello R.C.
    Good reminders
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], May 10, 2008
  8. Re: Windows XP Professional 64 Bit Edition installed onto an exten

    Good to see you back around here, Darrell. (Though I know you always
    lurk.<G>)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 11, 2008
  9. Re: Windows XP Professional 64 Bit Edition installed onto an exten

    Hello Charlie,
    The good does such a good job, I rarely need to post.
    yes I do lurk,
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], May 13, 2008
  10. umwhat

    umwhat Guest

    Re: Windows XP Professional 64 Bit Edition installed onto an exten

    I probably installed blindly as it were, and because the partition with
    backups existed then the Windows installation would have had to chose a D:
    partition. Maybe the backup partition was labelled C: already....hmm, I did
    not notice...That even makes sense to me as I am writing
    this...so...lol...thankyou for the help.

    BTW, I burned a free Hirens Boot CD with and used Acronis True Image v8.1
    from that and there is also Acronis Disk Director and Ghost v?8 on the cd
    which suits me very well for backing up purposes.
    I am glad I could find the free Acronis True Image which I saw as an
    giveaway but as an ended offer on the Acronis website. Now I do not yet have
    to pay the US$50 for the latest Acronis True Image v11.

    umwhat, Jul 1, 2008