    kind of mad because it seemed like he wanted me to be a pirate. I asked him
    about it, he's like, just do it, why would i tell you to do it if it can't
    be done. What a dick.
    roYal, Sep 10, 2003

  2. roYal

    Rick Guest

    Royal

    If you are on the open license agreement with Microsoft you use the same
    product key for all your installs of that specific product. The each product
    key is essentially a corporate key and is used throughout the organization.
    We currently are on this method and must purchase a copy of the software for
    every machine which we load however we still use the same key to load the
    software. I know some schools have site licenses which means they can load
    the software on as many PC's that they have located on site. Licensing is
    not an easy subject to approach if you do not know what agreement your
    company has signed. If you worked for a small company and where using the
    retail version of the software then you probably broke the licensing
    agreement.

    Hope this helps

    Rick
    Rick, Sep 10, 2003

  3. roYal

    roYal Guest

    we still had the licenses, just not the product keys. What i'm saying is,
    is it possible to install xp with the same serials and still activate it? If
    so, is it against the licensing agreement to do that if you still have the
    licenses proving that you bought the cds? I just want to know what he said
    is true, and plus i want to learn in case something happens like this in a
    future job. I don't wanna be in a position where a boss is asking me to do
    something unethical and illegal. I wont let a job devalue my ethical
    values.

    roYal, Sep 10, 2003
  4. roYal

    Rick Guest

    As long as your only have the Software loaded on 3 machines you can install
    it as many times as needed. In fact if you purchased the full retail version
    you can remove the software from one machine and install it to another. If
    you have the OEM version of Windows XP (or any of the Microsoft OS) it is
    only supposed to be used with the CPU you purchased it with. However, even
    OEM versions may be reloaded as needed. Think of the media as being
    independent from the License. If you loose the media you still own the
    license. I would hope that you boss kept is receipt so that he could prove
    you own the product and did not download the serial, code, etc.. from the
    internet.

    Rick

    Rick, Sep 10, 2003
  5. roYal

    MCSE World Guest

    roYal, see my post in the other forums.

    Best,
    Will
    www.mcseworld.com

    "roYal" <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone have any in depth knowledge about the xp product activation?
    > Perhaps any bookmarked articles. One thing i don't know is, if you're at

    > business, you have 3 xp machines to install, lost 2 of the cds, but lets

    say

    MCSE World, Sep 11, 2003