    kind of mad because it seemed like he wanted me to be a pirate. I asked him
    about it, he's like, just do it, why would i tell you to do it if it can't
    be done. What a dick.
    roYal, Sep 10, 2003

  2. roYal

    Marko Guest

    The product key is normally printed or you write it down
    after obtaining it in this instance. You buy a media kit
    so you can install software and then use the key you have
    been given to install to all your machines. These keys
    can be for OS or Office poduct. No product activation is
    necessary and in fact will be greeted with with a message
    to that effect if you try.

    >Any normal XP license will not work if they have already

    been
    >used, unless you phone MS up.

    Normally, you will be politely told to obtain a new
    product. You cannot transfer OEM license to a new
    machine. If the machine has the sticker attached to the
    chassis, use this key (no problems with running the
    activation process again). Otherwise, assume it is not
    licensed unless you have a corporate key, in which case
    you need to make sure that you have not installed more
    than you are licensed for.

    You could if you have 3 machines the same,
    >install on one, phone MS up and say the HD drive died and

    you are
    >reinstalling, then cloned the other 2 off.

    You are joking, right? Besides, putting the drive into a
    new machine will cause the activation process to start,
    again.

    >> business, you have 3 xp machines to install, lost 2 of

    the cds,

    ....you are still in trouble with the fact that the key is
    good for just one machine. And usually just the one it
    was originally installed on. XP OS is simple: no chassis
    sticker, no install, no exceptions. Even volume customers
    have to have a chassis sticker.

    The short answer is: If you can't run the installation
    without some crafty way of getting around the activation
    process then it is highly probable you are doing something
    wrong.
    Marko, Sep 10, 2003

  3. If you purchased WinXP Pro Corp version you do not need to activate.
    You also would have had a sticky label with each cd package to put on the
    machine. If both have disappeared I would suspect there never was
    three cds purchased.

    "roYal" <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone have any in depth knowledge about the xp product activation?
    > Perhaps any bookmarked articles. One thing i don't know is, if you're at

    > business, you have 3 xp machines to install, lost 2 of the cds, but lets

    say

    Nettransplant, Sep 10, 2003
  4. roYal

    roYal Guest

    the thing was, the boss had cds from the technet package, and 2 purchased xp
    cds with 3 computers. The technet serials were already used, except for 1,
    but he lost the technet serial for the xp. You should see the technet
    package, it was completely messy with nothing organized and couldn't find
    anything. He said, just use the 2 purchased winxp things, and use 1 serial
    for 2 installs. I was like, i thought that doesn't work because of product
    activation, he said, "It will work, Microsoft is leniant on using the same
    serial for 5 different installs, and they've become more leniant on it." I
    didn't believe him, and was kind of mad he was asking me, in my eyes, to
    break licensing issues and do something illegal. I didn't want him to
    devalue my morals.

    I know with win2k, you can use the same product key for like 20 installs, as
    long as you can prove that you purchased the 20 licenses. However, since xp
    has the activation, my real question was, in a non-corp xp product, can you
    activate 20 computers with the same key, as long as you still have the
    licenses.

    roYal, Sep 10, 2003
  5. roYal

    Bigmaggot Guest

    You could if you have 3 machines the same,
    >install on one, phone MS up and say the HD drive died and

    you are
    >reinstalling, then cloned the other 2 off.

    <You are joking, right? Besides, putting the drive into a
    <new machine will cause the activation process to start,
    <again.

    Afriad not, if the hardware is the same it will work.

    Andy

    Bigmaggot, Sep 11, 2003