    that was good? None of the choices work. What can I do to get it to load
    windows?
    Thanks, Dalecoke

    dalecoke, Aug 11, 2008

  2. dalecoke wrote:
    > MY SONS MACHINE AN hp A305w, running windows xp pro, was accidently
    > unplugged, and now it wont start windows but goes to a screen which says do
    > you want to start normally, or in safe mode, or with last known configuration
    > that was good? None of the choices work. What can I do to get it to load
    > windows?
    > Thanks, Dalecoke

    Perform method "C" (Disable automatic restart on system failure) of
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322205 . Probably after that Windows
    displays more information about what's wrong. Post the exact messages.

    Regards,
    Peter

    Peter Gibbons, Aug 11, 2008

  3. So, this computer does not have Windows 64-bit? It's the
    32-bit XP Pro? Somehow you stumbled into the Windows 64-bit
    forum.

    If you purchased the computer new, you should have HP
    recovery media. Use the media to recover from your problem.

    Bobby Johnson, Aug 11, 2008
  4. dalecoke

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Dalecoke.

    After you get the exact, verbatim STOP code, as Peter said, please post it
    into a newsgroup for Windows XP Pro. THIS newsgroup, as the title says, is
    for 64-bit versions of Windows, which excludes the 32-bit WinXP Pro.

    You PROBABLY just need to repair the startup files - but maybe not. With
    the verbatim STOP code, the folks in the WinXP newsgroup should be able to
    help you get that machine going again.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Aug 11, 2008
  5. dalecoke

    PH Guest

    whatever version of xp it is, leave the xp disk in the rom and restart.
    make sure to boot by cd rom ( via hitting esc or selecting as first boot
    device in bios). go like you are going to install. it will give you the option
    to install, delete or repair. choose to repair. then it will seem like it is
    installing a fresh copy. when install done, you will have xp back operational
    & all your files ,apps, ie favs, etc on your computer as before. you may
    have to adjust/ tweak settings in windows from default install.

    PH, Aug 14, 2008