Windows XP Pro. slow shutdown:

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by x@y, Aug 31, 2007.

  1. x@y

    x@y Guest

    Hello everyone,

    Recently my Windows XP Pro. System takes longer than normal Time
    to shutdown, all Security updates are installed,
    lately no Program has been installed that would cause the problem.

    Here is exactly what happens: After I click on <Turn Off Computer>
    The Hour Glass will show up and it takes about four Minutes for the <Stand By>,
    <Turn off>, <Restart> Window Option to appear,
    and when I click on the <Turn off> Option it will take another four minutes to
    complete turn off.

    Please Advise if You have a fix or anything else to try.

    Thanks, x@y

    I have tried the following but it did not help:

    1. Go to Start > Run and type: regedit
    2. Navigate to HKEY_USERS\.Default\Control Panel\Desktop
    3. Double-click on AutoEndTasks
    4. Change the value from 0 to 1
    5. Close the registry editor and reboot your machine.

    The above registry tweak is sometimes referred to as a "Force Exit" to
    automatically close applications that are not responding at shutdown. When an
    application fails to respond a dialog box is displayed prompting the user to
    either end it now or to wait. Enabling the value AutoEndTasks will take care of
    the non-responding application without user intervention.
    x@y, Aug 31, 2007

  2. x@y

    Guest

    "x@y" <> wrote:

    >Hello everyone,
    >
    >Recently my Windows XP Pro. System takes longer than normal Time
    >to shutdown, all Security updates are installed,
    >lately no Program has been installed that would cause the problem.
    >
    >Here is exactly what happens: After I click on <Turn Off Computer>
    >The Hour Glass will show up and it takes about four Minutes for the <Stand By>,
    ><Turn off>, <Restart> Window Option to appear,
    >and when I click on the <Turn off> Option it will take another four minutes to
    >complete turn off.
    >
    >Please Advise if You have a fix or anything else to try.
    >
    >Thanks, x@y
    >
    >I have tried the following but it did not help:
    >
    >1. Go to Start > Run and type: regedit
    >2. Navigate to HKEY_USERS\.Default\Control Panel\Desktop
    >3. Double-click on AutoEndTasks
    >4. Change the value from 0 to 1
    >5. Close the registry editor and reboot your machine.
    >
    >The above registry tweak is sometimes referred to as a "Force Exit" to
    >automatically close applications that are not responding at shutdown. When an
    >application fails to respond a dialog box is displayed prompting the user to
    >either end it now or to wait. Enabling the value AutoEndTasks will take care of
    >the non-responding application without user intervention.

    "User Profile Hive Cleanup Service"? might make the same Reg entries
    or not... http://tinyurl.com/2h3yl

    --
    200,000 Elliptical Galaxies Point the Same Way
    http://science.slashdot.org/science/07/08/30/1516224.shtml

  3. x@y

    x@y Guest

    <> wrote in message >

    "x@y" <> wrote:

    <snip>

    > "User Profile Hive Cleanup Service"? might make the same Reg entries
    > or not... http://tinyurl.com/2h3yl

    Thank You for the Link, Pennywise

    I have visited that Website before posting here, there are two
    downloads and I did not want to guess which program is appropriate
    for the Hive cleanup.

    Could You Please advise which one should I try?
    <readme.tex> or <UPHClean-Setup.msi>

    Thanks, x@y
    Files in This Download
    The links in this section correspond to separate files available in this
    download. Download the files most appropriate for you.
    File Name: File Size
    readme.txt
    24 KB
    DownloadDownload
    UPHClean-Setup.msi
    329 KB
    DownloadDownload

    x@y, Aug 31, 2007
  4. x@y

    Guest

    "x@y" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message >
    >
    > "x@y" <> wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >

    >> "User Profile Hive Cleanup Service"? might make the same Reg entries
    >> or not... http://tinyurl.com/2h3yl

    >Thank You for the Link, Pennywise
    >
    >I have visited that Website before posting here, there are two
    >downloads and I did not want to guess which program is appropriate
    >for the Hive cleanup.
    >
    >Could You Please advise which one should I try?
    ><readme.tex> or <UPHClean-Setup.msi>

    The Readme.txt is most likely nothing but a copywrite notice, but
    should be downloaded in the slim hope it might say something of use.

    UPHClean-Setup.msi is the executable file you would need to run to
    create the service.

    As implied this creates a new service that you can disable/enable as
    needed.

    Start | Run <type in>
    services.msc
    <enter>