Windows XP Pro Problem

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Bay, Sep 6, 2003.

  1. Bay

    Bay Guest

    Hi,

    Occassionally I don't see any icons or shortcuts on my desktop after logged
    on to my account in the morning when I get back to office. I will have to
    reboot it over again in order to have the OS to load properly. I didn't use
    romaing user profile. I am only using the local profile. Do you guys know
    what causing the problem and how to fix the problem?

    My next question is my co-worker's Dell PC is running so slow for some
    reasons. I bought 3 identical computers from Dell in June and one of the
    machines is having problem now. It runs slow on applications and somethings
    IE not even responding. She doesn't have a lot of applications opening at
    the same time. I scanned her hard drive and no virus was detected and she
    didn't have spywares installed in her computer. I told her to run a disk
    defratmentation. Do you guys know what goes wrong and how to fix this
    problem?

    Thanks

    Billy

    Bay, Sep 6, 2003

  2. Bay

    roYal Guest

    for the profile problem, it could be a corrupted user.dat. What i would do,
    is back-up the profile, try re-adding user data back to the profile step by
    step, and figure out what the problem is.

    For the other problem, could be faulty hardware. Do you what happened after
    the disk defrag? Try doing a chkdsk? Download memtest86, do some memory
    tests, or only bootup wiht the video card, memory, and cpu, and leave out
    the other expansion cards, and start troubleshooting it. Before even doing
    that, check the task manager, are any programs or services using up more
    then average cpu usage? Do you hear the hard drive acting up a lot?

    roYal, Sep 6, 2003

  3. Bay

    mchappell Guest

    I have heard of users having performance issues after
    installing SP1 for XP. That could also be the culprit

    mchappell, Sep 7, 2003