    using the Windows XP drivers? or the Windows 2000 drivers? or are they the
    same? Please let me know

    thanks
    RG, Oct 2, 2003

  2. RG

    Harrison Guest

    I'd go with XP until the 64 bit version of same is out.

    Harrison, Oct 2, 2003

  3. || Hey, friend of mine just got a new computer with the AMD64 CPU, and
    || just wondering what OS he should be using to maximize performace,
    || Windows XP Pro, or Server2003. He plays lots of games, and i was
    || curious as to how well the game performance is on MS Server2003 OS.
    || He got 1gb of 3200 DDR Ram, 120GB SATA HDD, that new ASUS board,
    || ATI Radeon 9800 All In Wonder Pro 128mb. Also, when using the new
    || hardware in Windows Server2003, there are no driver listings for
    || that OS on for instance the ATI Website, would he go about using the
    || Windows XP drivers? or the Windows 2000 drivers? or are they the
    || same? Please let me know
    || thanks

    Well quite simply put, as the name implies, Windows Server 2003 is actually
    a *Server* operating system.
    Unfortunately Microsoft believes that Server operating systems can be used
    as workstations as well as servers. No other Server o/s I've come across has
    this in mind.

    Stick to Windows XP or 2000 for playing games

    Some people think they always have to have the latest and greatest hardware
    and software, and then wonder why they can never find drivers. You have to
    wait for the rest of the world to catch up. And as I said, Server is meant
    to be a server, there would be no reason for any of the video card
    manufacturers to release high performance drivers for Server (though the XP
    or Win2k drivers will probably work anyway)
    Robert de Brus, Oct 2, 2003
  4. RG

    RG Guest

    What i was thinking though, server2003 uses 64bit...windows xp pro doesn't.
    correct?
    RG, Oct 2, 2003
  5. Howdy!

    > What i was thinking though, server2003 uses 64bit...windows xp pro
    doesn't.
    > correct?

    There's a 64bit version of BOTH available - but that's for the
    Itanium chip.

    You'd run the 32bit version on an AMD Opteron.

    Or wait for an Opteron-specific version.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Oct 2, 2003
  6. RG

    Harrison Guest

    I know MS and AMD are promoting the Athlon 64 FX-51 with the Windows
    Media Center version, but I'm not sure that's a full-bore 64 bit OS.
    Last I heard, MS had a shload of code to be recompiled to get to 64
    bit on XP, but they were committed to doing it. XP 64 bit ETA is 2004.

    Harrison, Oct 2, 2003
  7. RG

    Harrison Guest

    Get the full story here
    http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=3495415

    Harrison, Oct 2, 2003
  8. But your games don't, so what's the difference?

    Or *do* they?
    Robert de Brus, Oct 2, 2003
  9. RG

    EricP Guest

    >Hey, friend of mine just got a new computer with the AMD64 CPU, and just
    >wondering what OS he should be using to maximize performace, Windows XP Pro,
    >or Server2003. He plays lots of games, and i was curious as to how well the
    >game performance is on MS Server2003 OS. He got 1gb of 3200 DDR Ram, 120GB
    >SATA HDD, that new ASUS board, ATI Radeon 9800 All In Wonder Pro 128mb.
    >Also, when using the new hardware in Windows Server2003, there are no driver
    >listings for that OS on for instance the ATI Website, would he go about
    >using the Windows XP drivers? or the Windows 2000 drivers? or are they the
    >same? Please let me know
    >
    >thanks

    Server 2003 will be of no use to him what so ever. It is an NT based
    server program. It is also very good at what it does but there is
    great difficulty in just getting it to perform like a basic XP
    EricP, Oct 2, 2003
  10. Howdy!

    "Harrison" <> wrote in message
    > I know MS and AMD are promoting the Athlon 64 FX-51 with the Windows
    > Media Center version, but I'm not sure that's a full-bore 64 bit OS.

    It's not 64 bit at all, according to current info.

    > Last I heard, MS had a shload of code to be recompiled to get to 64
    > bit on XP, but they were committed to doing it. XP 64 bit ETA is 2004.

    Huh? That's news - what are they running on the HP Itanium
    Workstations then? 64bit XP is what they claim, and is what the boot up
    screen says.

    Or are you ignoring Intel's 64bit processor?

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Oct 3, 2003
  11. RG

    Harrison Guest

    Tue September 23, 2003 04:41 PM ET
    By Elinor Mills Abreu
    SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. on Tuesday unveiled a
    version of its Windows XP operating system for Advanced Micro Devices
    Inc.'s new Athlon 64 processor and said the system would also work
    with a 64-bit desktop chip from Intel Corp. if the company develops
    one.

    Harrison, Oct 3, 2003
  12. RG

    Harrison Guest

    You know what? There has been enough confusion on this issue.
    Read the whole article:

    Microsoft to Support AMD, Intel 64-Bit Chips
    Tue September 23, 2003 04:41 PM ET
    By Elinor Mills Abreu
    SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. on Tuesday unveiled a
    version of its Windows XP operating system for Advanced Micro Devices
    Inc.'s new Athlon 64 processor and said the system would also work
    with a 64-bit desktop chip from Intel Corp. if the company develops
    one.

    Chris Jones, corporate vice president for the Windows client division
    at Microsoft, said the system would be able to run on 64-bit chips
    from both AMD and Intel., on both server computers and desktops.

    Intel executives have not publicly disclosed any product plans for a
    64-bit PC chip, saying the mainstream desktop market is not ready yet
    for 64-bit computing, which processes data faster than current 32-bit
    chip architectures.

    Analysts have speculated that Microsoft would choose to support AMD's
    64-bit PC architecture since its chip is available first. The Athlon
    64 will be able to run not only 64-bit applications but 32-bit
    programs as well.

    But Jones said in an interview before AMD's Athlon 64 launch that it
    would not be difficult to fine-tune a version of Windows for Intel's
    architecture.

    "Our operating system will run as long as (Intel) doesn't change the
    instruction set" from their existing 64-bit Itanium chip architecture,
    he said. "We will release versions of desktop operating systems for
    both Intel and AMD," assuming Intel eventually develops a 64-bit
    desktop processor.

    Analyst Rob Enderle said Microsoft executives have said in the past
    that they will not write a new 64-bit desktop version of Windows
    specifically for Intel like it did for Athlon 64.

    "Microsoft doesn't want to do two operating systems and if Intel wants
    Microsoft support they're going to have to comply with AMD
    specifications on 64-bit on the desktop," said Enderle, principal
    analyst at research firm Enderle Group.

    "Microsoft said they won't do a recompile (of code) or a separate
    operating system for Intel; that Windows would have to run on both AMD
    and Intel" chips, he added.

    Jones declined to elaborate on exactly how Microsoft would optimize
    Windows for an Intel 64-bit desktop processor because there is no
    product or even product plan yet.

    Intel isn't eager to develop a 64-bit desktop processor that could
    cripple its 64-bit Itanium processor used in servers, Enderle said.

    Jones said the new version of XP will be available in final release in
    the first half of next year. He said initially, 64-bit desktop
    computing was most likely to be taken up by gamers, video editors and
    engineers.

    "We're seeing the leading-edge market hit barriers that make (the
    early adopters) want 64-bit now," said Jones. "The mainstream desktop
    market will take more time to migrate. It will happen, it's just a
    matter of when."

    AMD said Hewlett-Packard Co. plans to ship Athlon 64-based systems in
    the fourth quarter of this year. Other prominent computer companies,
    including Fujitsu Ltd. and gaming machine maker Alienware Corp., said
    they would have Athlon 64 systems as well.
    Harrison, Oct 3, 2003
  13. Howdy!

    "Harrison" <> wrote in message
    > Tue September 23, 2003 04:41 PM ET
    > By Elinor Mills Abreu
    > SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. on Tuesday unveiled a
    > version of its Windows XP operating system for Advanced Micro Devices
    > Inc.'s new Athlon 64 processor and said the system would also work
    > with a 64-bit desktop chip from Intel Corp. if the company develops
    > one.

    "The space shuttle entered the earth's atmosphere traveling at 18
    times the speed of light."

    Shall I dig out the SKUs for the 64bit XP? After all, there's
    SOMETHING on the XP based Itanium workstations - and it's not 32bit.

    Or do you believe EVERYTHING that's in the press?

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Oct 3, 2003
  14. RG

    Harrison Guest

    Sure! Dig them up and send them to Chris Jones, corporate vice
    president for the Windows client division at Microsoft

    Quoting Jones, "Our operating system will run as long as (Intel)
    doesn't change the instruction set" from their existing 64-bit Itanium
    chip architecture, he said. "We will release versions of desktop
    operating systems for both Intel and AMD," assuming Intel eventually
    develops a 64-bit desktop processor.

    Harrison, Oct 4, 2003
  15. Howdy!

    "Harrison" <> wrote in message
    > Sure! Dig them up and send them to Chris Jones, corporate vice
    > president for the Windows client division at Microsoft
    >
    > Quoting Jones, "Our operating system will run as long as (Intel)
    > doesn't change the instruction set" from their existing 64-bit Itanium
    > chip architecture, he said. "We will release versions of desktop
    > operating systems for both Intel and AMD," assuming Intel eventually
    > develops a 64-bit desktop processor.

    Notice the "desktop" portion? XP-64 is aimed at WORKSTATIONS. That
    is, it's XP Pro in a 64 bit flavor, not XP Home.

    Methinks you really ought to dig a bit more.

    For instance, the HP web site lists info on XP-64 at
    http://www.hp.com/products1/itanium/partners/windows.html ...

    Well, it lists 64bit apps that run under Windows-64, or XP-64.

    "But Jones said they didn't have one!"

    Either a) Jones was misquoted, b) his comments were taken out of
    context (they don't have a XP-64 Home, just XP-64 Pro), c) he didn't know
    what he was talking about (Shock!), or d) he just out and out lied.

    But XP-64 has been shipping for just about a year now.

    YOU want to argue? Call most anyone running an Itanium Workstation
    under Windows-64 and tell them that they don't know what they're using.

    Now, if you REALLY insist - I'll get the SKUs from Microsoft for it.

    Hell, there's info on Windows-XP 64 at Microsoft, link at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/faq.asp . You may
    notice that WIndows XP 64-bit edition 2002 shipped on August 25, 2001.
    Looking at my calendar, that's over 2 years ago.

    Next time you want to argue, try verifying your facts. And dn't
    just quote some press copy of what someone at Microsoft MIGHT have said.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Oct 4, 2003
  16. RG

    Harrison Guest

    I saw some of the same things you saw and I agree that there is an OEM
    64 bit Windows XP Professional for Technical Workstations. That's a
    highly qualified admission that you are right...sort of.

    As I read some of the documentation, it became apparent to me that
    this OS is nothing more than a workstations cousin to Windows Server
    2003 which was written for the Itanium server market. But MS was
    shortsighted enough call it XP Professional 64 bit. I guess now the
    question will be what the heck are they going to call the 64 bit
    Windows XP for AMD?

    The Itanium processor and "Windows XP 64 bit" for Technical
    Workstations are not by the purest definition Consumer Desktop
    Systems.

    Also, the Windows XP Professional 64 bit for technical workstations is
    not compatible with AMD's new 64 bit Athlon. The instruction coding is
    strictly Itanium. I also read that it is not compatible with 32 bit
    applications. It allows copy and paste from one to the other, but it
    won't run 32 bit dll's.

    I think what Jones was saying was that their Windows XP 64 for Athlon
    will be Microsoft's first consumer desktop operating system. When and
    if Intel develops consumer desktop 64 bit processors, MS will adapt
    their coding to run them.

    One interesting thing I saw was that some say Intel is reluctant to do
    that because it would shoot the costly Itanium in the foot.

    I want to thank you for your challenges. I would not have learned all
    of these intricate details without them.
    MS should stop trying to name all their products the same thing.
    It's kind of like buying a Ford F150 Mustang Taurus Explorer.
    WTF is it???

    Harrison, Oct 4, 2003