Windows XP Pro Network Connections Disappear...and Other Strange Problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Buff Steve, Sep 26, 2007.

  1. Buff Steve

    Buff Steve Guest

    Yesterday my PC seemed a bit sluggish so I rebooted. Upon reboot and
    login I don't have any access to the network or internet. When I
    check the Network Connections I don't see any. I also don't see my
    taskbar at the bottom of the screen. Additionally when I right click
    My Computer and go to Manage, Services I see nothing and the same
    thing when I click on Device Manager, just an empty window.

    However, when I reboot and go into Safe Mode all the above mentioned
    problems are gone but I'm stuck in safe mode.

    I've checked the MS knowledge base and ensured all required services
    are running as mentioned here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825826

    Any suggestions or similar experiences?

    Thanks,
    Steve

    Buff Steve, Sep 26, 2007

  2. Buff Steve

    PeeCee Guest

    "Buff Steve" <> wrote in message
    > Yesterday my PC seemed a bit sluggish so I rebooted. Upon reboot and
    > login I don't have any access to the network or internet. When I
    > check the Network Connections I don't see any. I also don't see my
    > taskbar at the bottom of the screen. Additionally when I right click
    > My Computer and go to Manage, Services I see nothing and the same
    > thing when I click on Device Manager, just an empty window.
    >
    > However, when I reboot and go into Safe Mode all the above mentioned
    > problems are gone but I'm stuck in safe mode.
    >
    > I've checked the MS knowledge base and ensured all required services
    > are running as mentioned here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825826
    >
    > Any suggestions or similar experiences?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Steve

    Steve

    Check the health of your Hard drive.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Sep 26, 2007

  3. Buff Steve

    ded Guest

    "Buff Steve" <> wrote in message
    > Yesterday my PC seemed a bit sluggish so I rebooted. Upon reboot and
    > login I don't have any access to the network or internet. When I
    > check the Network Connections I don't see any. I also don't see my
    > taskbar at the bottom of the screen. Additionally when I right click
    > My Computer and go to Manage, Services I see nothing and the same
    > thing when I click on Device Manager, just an empty window.
    >
    > However, when I reboot and go into Safe Mode all the above mentioned
    > problems are gone but I'm stuck in safe mode.
    >
    > I've checked the MS knowledge base and ensured all required services
    > are running as mentioned here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825826
    >
    > Any suggestions or similar experiences?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Steve

    First the obvious questions:
    It was a "bit sluggish" so you rebooted, but in what way was it sluggish -
    Is there any direct correllation with sluggishness/problem and anything
    you may have installed/uninstalled/modified etc?
    Were there any error messages during the "sluggishness".
    Were you online when "sluggishness" became apparent, do you have
    fully updated firewall and anti-virus installed?
    Did you try the simple step of trying a restore point via Safe Mode?

    ded, Sep 26, 2007
  4. Buff Steve

    Cementhead Guest

    By sluggish I mean performance wise, such as opening files, displaying
    thumbnails. Internet speed was fine.

    The system is running XP Pro SP2 with all updates installed,
    firewalled with Symantec AV Corp. 10 for antivirus. Hard drive is a
    500GB Sata drive that is less than a month old. In fact the whole
    system is less than a month old and all brand new equipment.

    The system restore option is another thing that simply doesn't respond
    when I'm logged in normally and when I try to run it from Safe Mode it
    says it has been disabled and to run it logged in normally. Only
    chnage made recently was I added a firewire card. I immediately
    removed and it fixed nothing.

    Cementhead, Sep 26, 2007
  5. Buff Steve

    ded Guest

    "Cementhead" <> wrote in message
    > By sluggish I mean performance wise, such as opening files, displaying
    > thumbnails. Internet speed was fine.
    >
    > The system is running XP Pro SP2 with all updates installed,
    > firewalled with Symantec AV Corp. 10 for antivirus. Hard drive is a
    > 500GB Sata drive that is less than a month old. In fact the whole
    > system is less than a month old and all brand new equipment.
    >
    > The system restore option is another thing that simply doesn't respond
    > when I'm logged in normally and when I try to run it from Safe Mode it
    > says it has been disabled and to run it logged in normally. Only
    > chnage made recently was I added a firewire card. I immediately
    > removed and it fixed nothing.

    Without error messages etc, and the issue of a disabled system restore
    the first indications would be a Windows/Software problem/corrupt
    registry etc. But it could all be muddled with hardware failure too?

    Fully disconnect all network connected devices and try to get PC
    functioning as a bare bones device.
    Remove one RAM stick, and alternate with other to see if it maybe
    a bad memory module.
    Check Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs for any MS updates/
    hotfixes downloaded and installed date/time that may correllate with
    the sluggishness manifesting.

    XP recovery console
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/en-us

    Outdated/Incorrect/Corrupt device drivers
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319908/en-us

    Connect/Disconnect network drives XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308582

    Corrupt user profile in XP, create a new one and transfer data etc.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

    ded, Sep 26, 2007
  6. Buff Steve

    Buff Steve Guest

    On Sep 26, 4:49 pm, "ded" <> wrote:
    > "Cementhead" <> wrote in message

    > > By sluggish I mean performance wise, such as opening files, displaying
    > > thumbnails. Internet speed was fine.

    > > The system is running XP Pro SP2 with all updates installed,
    > > firewalled with Symantec AV Corp. 10 for antivirus. Hard drive is a
    > > 500GB Sata drive that is less than a month old. In fact the whole
    > > system is less than a month old and all brand new equipment.

    > > The system restore option is another thing that simply doesn't respond
    > > when I'm logged in normally and when I try to run it from Safe Mode it
    > > says it has been disabled and to run it logged in normally. Only
    > > chnage made recently was I added a firewire card. I immediately
    > > removed and it fixed nothing.

    > Without error messages etc, and the issue of a disabled system restore
    > the first indications would be a Windows/Software problem/corrupt
    > registry etc. But it could all be muddled with hardware failure too?
    >
    > Fully disconnect all network connected devices and try to get PC
    > functioning as a bare bones device.
    > Remove one RAM stick, and alternate with other to see if it maybe
    > a bad memory module.
    > Check Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs for any MS updates/
    > hotfixes downloaded and installed date/time that may correllate with
    > the sluggishness manifesting.
    >
    > XP recovery consolehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/en-us
    >
    > Outdated/Incorrect/Corrupt device drivershttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/319908/en-us
    >
    > Connect/Disconnect network drives XPhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/308582
    >
    > Corrupt user profile in XP, create a new one and transfer data etc.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

    Thanks for the suggestions guys, I tried everything, new profiles,
    dismantling and check RAM individually but nothing worked. In the end
    I reloaded a dfifferent version XP. I appreciate the efforts.

    Buff Steve, Sep 27, 2007