Windows XP Pro loses connection to external HD

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by bronson.elliott@gmail.com, Feb 25, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I have a Windows XP Pro SP2 laptop that has a Microsoft MN-720 wireless
    network card. I connect to the internet via a cable modem through a
    Microsoft MN-700 router.

    Connected to this router I have an external hard drive - a 120 GB
    Buffalo LinkStation Network Storage Center
    (http://www.buffalotech.com/products/product-detail.php?productid=36&categoryid=16).

    I can connect to this external HD just fine however, after an unknown
    period of time, I lose connection to this HD. I can still connect to
    the internet so I know it's not a problem with the wireless adapter. I
    also know it's not the external HD because I have a different Win XP
    Home laptop that doesn't lose connection. Also, I had a file server
    (old desktop) before the external HD and I had the same problem then.

    It basically tells me that it can not connect to the workgroup and that
    I may not have permission. I'm sorry but I don't have the exact error
    message. Not matter what I do I can not reconnect to this HD unless I
    restart the computer. After the restart, I can connect to the HD
    again.

    It seems like it's some sort of time out setting but I have no idea
    where to check or what to do to fix this. It's very annoying and it
    makes performing automated backups difficult since it loses connection
    to the backup target.

    Please let me know if you have any ideas.

    , Feb 25, 2005

  2. I have the same situation with my wireless laptop. I have found that if you
    repair the connection (Control Panel | Network Connections, click on the
    wireless conection then select Repair this Connection on the left), I never
    have to restart.

    I believe this is a Linkstation issue due to the fact it has a Linux
    operating system and not-so-good drivers.

    =?Utf-8?B?d3NjaGxpY2h0bWFu?=, Feb 26, 2005

  3. I have the same issue but have found a better workaround than restarting.
    Start Contorl Panel, open Network Connections then select the icon for your
    wireless connection. On the left, you will see "Repair this Connection".
    Click on this option and you should now have access.

    =?Utf-8?B?d3NjaGxpY2h0bWFu?=, Feb 26, 2005