    that is to be displayed is a fairly long winded legal document, more that
    can be fitted into the registry entry.
    Thanks

    pete, Feb 21, 2004

  2. pete

    Lennier Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 17:46:43 +1300, pete wrote:

    > can anyone suggest a way to have an XP Pro machine display a logon message
    > for either - a set period of time before continuing with logon , or to
    > display the message until the user accepts the conditions (ie I have read
    > and accept, etc, press (enter, esc, whatever) to continue). The message
    > that is to be displayed is a fairly long winded legal document, more that
    > can be fitted into the registry entry.

    Logging on is just that - logging on.

    If you want to run a programme immediately after logging on, then you
    could have that start up automatically, and that programme could be set to
    shut down the box if the user doesn't agree with the contents of your
    legal document.

    Of course, the best way would be to wrap the box in plastic and attach a
    copy of your large legal lexicon with words on the front being that if the
    person doesn't accept the contents of your large legal lexicon then they
    aren't entitled to unwrap the box and thus should return it back to the
    shop and get their money back.

    OR your could simply put the box in a locked room and not let anyone get
    at it without your permission.

    Lennier

    --
    Brian Valentine - Microsoft's SVP for Windows development: "We
    really haven't done everything we could to protect our customers. Our

    Lennier, Feb 21, 2004

  3. pete

    ac Guest

    In article <dp1b3tcxot17$>, fififan@hot-
    shot.com says...
    > can anyone suggest a way to have an XP Pro machine display a logon message
    > for either - a set period of time before continuing with logon , or to
    > display the message until the user accepts the conditions (ie I have read
    > and accept, etc, press (enter, esc, whatever) to continue). The message
    > that is to be displayed is a fairly long winded legal document, more that
    > can be fitted into the registry entry.
    > Thanks

    I guess you'd basically have to write your own custom msgina.dll file
    (much like the Netware Client does).

    Some details at:

    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Programming/Q_20685717.html

    ac, Feb 21, 2004
  4. "pete" <> wrote in message
    > can anyone suggest a way to have an XP Pro machine display a logon message
    > for either - a set period of time before continuing with logon , or to
    > display the message until the user accepts the conditions (ie I have read
    > and accept, etc, press (enter, esc, whatever) to continue). The message
    > that is to be displayed is a fairly long winded legal document, more that
    > can be fitted into the registry entry.

    Its called a welcome or logon banner

    Just how long is it?

    There is a hotfix for SP1 that allows you to display a pretty long one

    Nathan Mercer, Feb 21, 2004
  5. pete

    Bruce Flyger Guest

    pete wrote:
    > can anyone suggest a way to have an XP Pro machine display a logon message
    > for either - a set period of time before continuing with logon , or to
    > display the message until the user accepts the conditions (ie I have read
    > and accept, etc, press (enter, esc, whatever) to continue). The message
    > that is to be displayed is a fairly long winded legal document, more that
    > can be fitted into the registry entry.
    > Thanks

    Is this in a corporate inviroment? You may find it easier if everybody
    signs a conditions of use agreement.

    Bruce Flyger, Feb 21, 2004
  6. pete

    chris Guest

    pete wrote:

    > can anyone suggest a way to have an XP Pro machine display a logon message
    > for either - a set period of time before continuing with logon , or to
    > display the message until the user accepts the conditions (ie I have read
    > and accept, etc, press (enter, esc, whatever) to continue). The message
    > that is to be displayed is a fairly long winded legal document, more that
    > can be fitted into the registry entry.
    > Thanks

    Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security Policy/Interactive Logon:
    Message text for users attempting to log on.

    Cheers,
    Chris.

    chris, Feb 21, 2004
  7. pete

    pete Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 18:29:50 +1300, Lennier wrote:

    > On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 17:46:43 +1300, pete wrote:
    >
    >> can anyone suggest a way to have an XP Pro machine display a logon message
    >> for either - a set period of time before continuing with logon , or to
    >> display the message until the user accepts the conditions (ie I have read
    >> and accept, etc, press (enter, esc, whatever) to continue). The message
    >> that is to be displayed is a fairly long winded legal document, more that
    >> can be fitted into the registry entry.

    > Logging on is just that - logging on.
    >
    > If you want to run a programme immediately after logging on, then you
    > could have that start up automatically, and that programme could be set to
    > shut down the box if the user doesn't agree with the contents of your
    > legal document.
    >
    > Of course, the best way would be to wrap the box in plastic and attach a
    > copy of your large legal lexicon with words on the front being that if the
    > person doesn't accept the contents of your large legal lexicon then they
    > aren't entitled to unwrap the box and thus should return it back to the
    > shop and get their money back.
    >
    > OR your could simply put the box in a locked room and not let anyone get
    > at it without your permission.
    >
    > Lennier

    Would it be that simple, however, the machines are placed in various sites
    around the country where a number of the companies employees can use tham.
    Even tho the company has locked them down as best they can the employees
    have time on their hands, are unsupervised and have managed to use them to
    download files - mainly MP3s. While you might suggest they get better
    systems admins thats really not a choice I can make. The company wants (I
    guess) to cover its arse with the courts if it sacks an amployee for
    unauthorised use, hence the message displayed when ever anyone logs on.

    pete, Feb 21, 2004
  8. pete

    pete Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 22:57:12 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > "pete" <> wrote in message
    >> can anyone suggest a way to have an XP Pro machine display a logon message
    >> for either - a set period of time before continuing with logon , or to
    >> display the message until the user accepts the conditions (ie I have read
    >> and accept, etc, press (enter, esc, whatever) to continue). The message
    >> that is to be displayed is a fairly long winded legal document, more that
    >> can be fitted into the registry entry.

    > Its called a welcome or logon banner
    >
    > Just how long is it?
    >
    > There is a hotfix for SP1 that allows you to display a pretty long one

    When printed using Word with Arial 10 its a full A4 page !
    The legal dept is covering all the options.

    pete, Feb 21, 2004
  9. pete

    pete Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 20:30:10 +1300, Bruce Flyger wrote:

    > pete wrote:
    >> can anyone suggest a way to have an XP Pro machine display a logon message
    >> for either - a set period of time before continuing with logon , or to
    >> display the message until the user accepts the conditions (ie I have read
    >> and accept, etc, press (enter, esc, whatever) to continue). The message
    >> that is to be displayed is a fairly long winded legal document, more that
    >> can be fitted into the registry entry.
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > Is this in a corporate inviroment? You may find it easier if everybody
    > signs a conditions of use agreement.

    Yes, corporate environment. No doubt there is some sort of wording in the
    employment contract but this is to remind the users (and probably more
    importantly, to cover the companies arse) that misuse is a sacking offence

    pete, Feb 21, 2004
  10. pete

    pete Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 21:03:55 +1300, chris wrote:

    > pete wrote:
    >
    >> can anyone suggest a way to have an XP Pro machine display a logon message
    >> for either - a set period of time before continuing with logon , or to
    >> display the message until the user accepts the conditions (ie I have read
    >> and accept, etc, press (enter, esc, whatever) to continue). The message
    >> that is to be displayed is a fairly long winded legal document, more that
    >> can be fitted into the registry entry.
    >> Thanks

    > Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security Policy/Interactive Logon:
    > Message text for users attempting to log on.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Chris.

    Thanks will look at that

    pete, Feb 21, 2004
  11. pete wrote:
    >>>can anyone suggest a way to have an XP Pro machine display a logon message
    >>>for either - a set period of time before continuing with logon , or to
    >>>display the message until the user accepts the conditions (ie I have read
    >>>and accept, etc, press (enter, esc, whatever) to continue). The message
    >>>that is to be displayed is a fairly long winded legal document, more that
    >>>can be fitted into the registry entry.

    >>Its called a welcome or logon banner
    >>Just how long is it?
    >>There is a hotfix for SP1 that allows you to display a pretty long one

    > When printed using Word with Arial 10 its a full A4 page !
    > The legal dept is covering all the options.

    wow.. might just be easier to make an AUP for the company computer use,
    that all employees must agree to before their details go to payrole.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 21, 2004
  12. pete

    AD. Guest

    pete <> wrote in message

    > Yes, corporate environment. No doubt there is some sort of wording in the
    > employment contract but this is to remind the users (and probably more
    > importantly, to cover the companies arse) that misuse is a sacking offence

    Well I reckon you just put a official sounding warning in the banner about
    the consequences of misuse, then mention where a copy of the official use
    policy document (that they should've already signed) can be found.

    If you put too much text in the banner it would be less effective because
    nobody would read it - keep it short, sharp and serious sounding.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Feb 21, 2004
  13. pete

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "pete" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 18:29:50 +1300, Lennier wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 17:46:43 +1300, pete wrote:
    > >
    > >> can anyone suggest a way to have an XP Pro machine display a logon

    message
    > >> for either - a set period of time before continuing with logon , or to
    > >> display the message until the user accepts the conditions (ie I have

    read
    > >> and accept, etc, press (enter, esc, whatever) to continue). The message
    > >> that is to be displayed is a fairly long winded legal document, more

    that
    > >> can be fitted into the registry entry.

    > > Logging on is just that - logging on.
    > >
    > > If you want to run a programme immediately after logging on, then you
    > > could have that start up automatically, and that programme could be set

    > > shut down the box if the user doesn't agree with the contents of your
    > > legal document.
    > >
    > > Of course, the best way would be to wrap the box in plastic and attach a
    > > copy of your large legal lexicon with words on the front being that if

    the
    > > person doesn't accept the contents of your large legal lexicon then they
    > > aren't entitled to unwrap the box and thus should return it back to the
    > > shop and get their money back.
    > >
    > > OR your could simply put the box in a locked room and not let anyone get
    > > at it without your permission.
    > >
    > > Lennier

    > Would it be that simple, however, the machines are placed in various sites
    > around the country where a number of the companies employees can use tham.
    > Even tho the company has locked them down as best they can the employees
    > have time on their hands, are unsupervised and have managed to use them to
    > download files - mainly MP3s. While you might suggest they get better
    > systems admins thats really not a choice I can make. The company wants (I
    > guess) to cover its arse with the courts if it sacks an amployee for
    > unauthorised use, hence the message displayed when ever anyone logs on.

    It's too bad the companies can't afford paper. A set of conditions actually
    given to each user would make it clear enough, the managers running the
    outfits would have their own copy to throw up in anyone's face if there's a
    problem. More legal and more lasting than anything that pops up on a
    computer screen. With such a detailed popup every time the computer starts,
    there's a good 2 minutes or so of productivity lost each time. They can go
    and have a chat with someone while the computer takes ages to start (thanks
    to you) instead of quickly getting stuck into work on it. Once they've seen
    it there's no point in them needing to know what it is each time.

    Typical though to waste time and money on a high tech solution when a simple
    sheet of computer use conditions would make any use of a company computer
    more than clear enough.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Feb 21, 2004
  14. pete

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 17:46:43 +1300, pete <> wrote:

    >can anyone suggest a way to have an XP Pro machine display a logon message
    >for either - a set period of time before continuing with logon , or to
    >display the message until the user accepts the conditions (ie I have read
    >and accept, etc, press (enter, esc, whatever) to continue). The message
    >that is to be displayed is a fairly long winded legal document, more that
    >can be fitted into the registry entry.
    >Thanks

    Why not just say something along the lines of "By logging on to this
    system, you agree to the conditions which can be found in file 'blah'
    on the desktop. As a condition of use of this system you must read the
    conditions in file 'blah'. If you do not agree to these conditions,
    then logoff immediately.". Then get the logon script to put the file
    on the desktop.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 22, 2004
  15. pete

    pete Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 09:22:38 +1300, E. Scrooge*sling wrote:

    > "pete" <> wrote in message

    > message

    > read

    > that
    >>>
    >>> Logging on is just that - logging on.
    >>>
    >>> If you want to run a programme immediately after logging on, then you
    >>> could have that start up automatically, and that programme could be set

    >>> shut down the box if the user doesn't agree with the contents of your
    >>> legal document.
    >>>
    >>> Of course, the best way would be to wrap the box in plastic and attach a
    >>> copy of your large legal lexicon with words on the front being that if

    > the
    >>> person doesn't accept the contents of your large legal lexicon then they
    >>> aren't entitled to unwrap the box and thus should return it back to the
    >>> shop and get their money back.
    >>>
    >>> OR your could simply put the box in a locked room and not let anyone get
    >>> at it without your permission.
    >>>
    >>> Lennier

    >> Would it be that simple, however, the machines are placed in various sites
    >> around the country where a number of the companies employees can use tham.
    >> Even tho the company has locked them down as best they can the employees
    >> have time on their hands, are unsupervised and have managed to use them to
    >> download files - mainly MP3s. While you might suggest they get better
    >> systems admins thats really not a choice I can make. The company wants (I
    >> guess) to cover its arse with the courts if it sacks an amployee for
    >> unauthorised use, hence the message displayed when ever anyone logs on.

    > It's too bad the companies can't afford paper. A set of conditions actually
    > given to each user would make it clear enough, the managers running the
    > outfits would have their own copy to throw up in anyone's face if there's a
    > problem. More legal and more lasting than anything that pops up on a
    > computer screen. With such a detailed popup every time the computer starts,
    > there's a good 2 minutes or so of productivity lost each time. They can go
    > and have a chat with someone while the computer takes ages to start (thanks
    > to you) instead of quickly getting stuck into work on it. Once they've seen
    > it there's no point in them needing to know what it is each time.
    >
    > Typical though to waste time and money on a high tech solution when a simple
    > sheet of computer use conditions would make any use of a company computer
    > more than clear enough.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    I'm sure they can afford paper. But from what I have read of the Employment
    Court, it "appears" to be biased in favour of the employee, ie if there is
    the slightest doubt that an employee was unaware of a condition, then that
    condition might as well not exist. (Just my opinion, and I do not speak for
    the company concerned). If the T&Cs of computer use pop up every time the
    employee logs on, its going to be pretty hard for the employee to deny he
    or she ever saw it. Or it could be something else all together, however,
    thats what they want to do.

    pete, Feb 22, 2004
  16. pete

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "pete" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 09:22:38 +1300, E. Scrooge*sling wrote:
    >
    > > "pete" <> wrote in message

    > > message

    > > read

    message

    > > that

    set

    > > the

    they

    the

    get

    > >> Would it be that simple, however, the machines are placed in various

    sites
    > >> around the country where a number of the companies employees can use

    tham.
    > >> Even tho the company has locked them down as best they can the

    employees
    > >> have time on their hands, are unsupervised and have managed to use them

    > >> download files - mainly MP3s. While you might suggest they get better
    > >> systems admins thats really not a choice I can make. The company wants

    (I
    > >> guess) to cover its arse with the courts if it sacks an amployee for
    > >> unauthorised use, hence the message displayed when ever anyone logs on.

    > > It's too bad the companies can't afford paper. A set of conditions

    actually
    > > given to each user would make it clear enough, the managers running the
    > > outfits would have their own copy to throw up in anyone's face if

    there's a
    > > problem. More legal and more lasting than anything that pops up on a
    > > computer screen. With such a detailed popup every time the computer

    starts,
    > > there's a good 2 minutes or so of productivity lost each time. They can

    go
    > > and have a chat with someone while the computer takes ages to start

    (thanks
    > > to you) instead of quickly getting stuck into work on it. Once they've

    seen
    > > it there's no point in them needing to know what it is each time.
    > >
    > > Typical though to waste time and money on a high tech solution when a

    simple
    > > sheet of computer use conditions would make any use of a company

    computer
    > > more than clear enough.
    > >
    > > E. Scrooge

    > I'm sure they can afford paper. But from what I have read of the

    Employment
    > Court, it "appears" to be biased in favour of the employee, ie if there is
    > the slightest doubt that an employee was unaware of a condition, then that
    > condition might as well not exist. (Just my opinion, and I do not speak

    for
    > the company concerned). If the T&Cs of computer use pop up every time the
    > employee logs on, its going to be pretty hard for the employee to deny he
    > or she ever saw it. Or it could be something else all together, however,
    > thats what they want to do.

    If they're given the T & Cs then they've got no excuse. Very easy to
    present the T & Cs in a Court. Perhaps you think a Judge will only accept
    such evidence if it sees it all presented on a computer for him?
    What they want to do is nothing but a waste of time and money. If the
    conditions of computer use have been made clearly enough to the staff, that
    should be all that's needed.
    Having a document open on startup should be easy enough anyway.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Feb 22, 2004
  17. pete

    Lennier Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 23:02:06 +1300, pete wrote:

    > Would it be that simple, however, the machines are placed in various sites
    > around the country where a number of the companies employees can use tham.
    > Even tho the company has locked them down as best they can the employees
    > have time on their hands, are unsupervised and have managed to use them to
    > download files - mainly MP3s. While you might suggest they get better
    > systems admins thats really not a choice I can make.

    well why don't you get your sysadmin to block the downloading of MP3s.
    Easy enough to do at the firewall - and easy enough to prevent ordinary
    users from changing the firewall.

    Lennier

    --
    Delenn: "Do not look any further. All life is transitory - a dream.
    We all come together in cyber space, in the end of time. If I do not

    Lennier, Feb 22, 2004