    should look like the one I've got.

    I went to Microsoft website ... and this doesn't look like them.

    Rider
    Rider, Dec 21, 2005

  2. Rider

    Mark Guest

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 20:39:34 +1300, "Rider"
    <> wrote:

    >What does the current Windows XP Professional CD key label look like?
    >
    >I just received an OEM version from a supplier, and I'm not so certain it
    >should look like the one I've got.
    >
    >I went to Microsoft website ... and this doesn't look like them.
    >
    >Rider

    Microsoft has recently changed the COA sticker...chances are it'll be
    okay..

    For more info..

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...a.mspx?quizType=oem&compareButton=Compare Now

    Cheers,

    Mark
    Mark, Dec 21, 2005

  3. Rider

    XPD Guest

    XPD, Dec 21, 2005
  4. On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 20:39:34 +1300, "Rider"
    <> wrote:

    >What does the current Windows XP Professional CD key label look like?

    I noticed they changed the other day too. The new one is stupid
    looking and seems to be more paper-ish. It also doesn't nicely fit
    anywhere on the back of most cases and is ugly. Why fix what's not
    broken eh.
    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand
    Kristofer Clayton, Dec 21, 2005
  5. Rider

    Rob J Guest

    In article <TE7qf.9536$>,
    says...
    > What does the current Windows XP Professional CD key label look like?
    >
    > I just received an OEM version from a supplier, and I'm not so certain it
    > should look like the one I've got.
    >
    > I went to Microsoft website ... and this doesn't look like them.

    This is one of the $89.95 scams is it?
    Rob J, Dec 21, 2005
  6. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > In article <TE7qf.9536$>,
    > says...
    >> What does the current Windows XP Professional CD key label look like?
    >>
    >> I just received an OEM version from a supplier, and I'm not so certain it
    >> should look like the one I've got.
    >>
    >> I went to Microsoft website ... and this doesn't look like them.

    > This is one of the $89.95 scams is it?

    What?
    Rider, Dec 21, 2005
  7. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "XPD" <....nz> wrote in message

    > "Rider" <> wrote in message
    >> What does the current Windows XP Professional CD key label look like?
    >>
    >> I just received an OEM version from a supplier, and I'm not so certain it
    >> should look like the one I've got.
    >>
    >> I went to Microsoft website ... and this doesn't look like them.
    >>
    >> Rider
    >>

    > http://www.egizmoz.com/Image/Computer/W_Media_B.jpg
    >
    > Thats the common one we get at work.
    >
    > Or - http://www.microsoft.com/italy/licenze/images/oem_label.jpg

    Doesn't look like either of those. Its a funny roundish shape, is a faded
    yellow colour and paper.
    Rider, Dec 21, 2005
  8. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Kristofer Clayton" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 20:39:34 +1300, "Rider"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>What does the current Windows XP Professional CD key label look like?

    > I noticed they changed the other day too. The new one is stupid
    > looking and seems to be more paper-ish. It also doesn't nicely fit
    > anywhere on the back of most cases and is ugly. Why fix what's not
    > broken eh.

    Yeah thats it. And if you tried, you can peel the paper off the sticker.
    Very poor design ... or deliverate design so they wear off and people have
    to rebuy it because the cd key is gone after 3 years.

    Cheers
    Rider, Dec 21, 2005
  9. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Mark" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 20:39:34 +1300, "Rider"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>What does the current Windows XP Professional CD key label look like?
    >>
    >>I just received an OEM version from a supplier, and I'm not so certain it
    >>should look like the one I've got.
    >>
    >>I went to Microsoft website ... and this doesn't look like them.
    >>
    >>Rider
    >>

    > Microsoft has recently changed the COA sticker...chances are it'll be
    > okay..
    >
    > For more info..
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...a.mspx?quizType=oem&compareButton=Compare Now
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Mark

    Thanks

    The microsoft website I saw yesterday hadn't listed the ugly yellow sticker
    at all. Now I'm satisfied its real.

    Cheers
    Rider, Dec 21, 2005
  10. Rider

    Guest

    Kristofer Clayton wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 20:39:34 +1300, "Rider"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >What does the current Windows XP Professional CD key label look like?

    > I noticed they changed the other day too. The new one is stupid
    > looking and seems to be more paper-ish. It also doesn't nicely fit
    > anywhere on the back of most cases and is ugly. Why fix what's not
    > broken eh.

    Maybe it was broken? From MSes point of view, anything that costs more
    without providing any more security would probably be 'broken'.

    However alternatively, they might feel it wise to change them regularly
    to help combat counterfeiters.
    , Dec 22, 2005
  11. Rider

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > "Kristofer Clayton" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 20:39:34 +1300, "Rider"
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>>What does the current Windows XP Professional CD key label look like?

    >>I noticed they changed the other day too. The new one is stupid
    >>looking and seems to be more paper-ish. It also doesn't nicely fit
    >>anywhere on the back of most cases and is ugly. Why fix what's not
    >>broken eh.

    > Yeah thats it. And if you tried, you can peel the paper off the sticker.
    > Very poor design ... or deliverate design so they wear off and people have
    > to rebuy it because the cd key is gone after 3 years.
    >
    > Cheers

    Had a work laptop with the cd key/windows activation code on the bottem
    it wore out in less than a year. The 10 photocopies did not.

    Robert Cooze, Dec 22, 2005
  12. "Rider" <> wrote in message
    > What does the current Windows XP Professional CD key label look like?
    >
    > I just received an OEM version from a supplier, and I'm not so certain it
    > should look like the one I've got.
    >
    > I went to Microsoft website ... and this doesn't look like them.
    >
    > Rider

    Hi Rider,
    the COA labels supplied to local System Builders have recently changed as
    noted below:

    "Available in August 2005, a new Certificate of Authenticity (COA) label
    with enhanced security features will help to differentiate system builder
    software from direct OEM software as part of Microsoft's continuing efforts
    to curb piracy and counterfeiting. The new system builder COA label is a
    different shape and color than the COA label used by direct OEMs. This new
    COA label will continue to be a part of the individual software license for
    Windows® software and will be contained as part of the individual software
    license within the system builder pack. System builders will still be
    required to affix the Windows COA label to the side of the PC on which the
    software is being preinstalled."

    Customers can find more info at:

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/uk/coa.mspx

    And there's OEM-specific information at:

    http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentPage.aspx?pageid=556852

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ
    Brett Roberts, Dec 22, 2005
  13. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Brett Roberts" <> wrote in message
    > "Rider" <> wrote in message
    >> What does the current Windows XP Professional CD key label look like?
    >>
    >> I just received an OEM version from a supplier, and I'm not so certain it
    >> should look like the one I've got.
    >>
    >> I went to Microsoft website ... and this doesn't look like them.
    >>
    >> Rider
    >>

    > Hi Rider,
    > the COA labels supplied to local System Builders have recently changed as
    > noted below:
    >
    > "Available in August 2005, a new Certificate of Authenticity (COA) label
    > with enhanced security features will help to differentiate system builder
    > software from direct OEM software as part of Microsoft's continuing
    > efforts to curb piracy and counterfeiting. The new system builder COA
    > label is a different shape and color than the COA label used by direct
    > OEMs. This new COA label will continue to be a part of the individual
    > software license for Windows® software and will be contained as part of
    > the individual software license within the system builder pack. System
    > builders will still be required to affix the Windows COA label to the side
    > of the PC on which the software is being preinstalled."
    >
    > Customers can find more info at:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/uk/coa.mspx
    >
    > And there's OEM-specific information at:
    >
    > http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentPage.aspx?pageid=556852
    >

    > Brett Roberts
    > Microsoft NZ

    Thanks Brett

    It just looks and feels a bit ... uummm, not manufactured by a
    multi-national corporation.

    Cheers
    Rider, Dec 22, 2005
  14. "Rider" <> wrote in message

    > "Brett Roberts" <> wrote in message
    >> "Rider" <> wrote in message
    >>> What does the current Windows XP Professional CD key label look like?
    >>>
    >>> I just received an OEM version from a supplier, and I'm not so certain
    >>> it should look like the one I've got.
    >>>
    >>> I went to Microsoft website ... and this doesn't look like them.
    >>>
    >>> Rider
    >>>

    >> Hi Rider,
    >> the COA labels supplied to local System Builders have recently changed as
    >> noted below:
    >>
    >> "Available in August 2005, a new Certificate of Authenticity (COA) label
    >> with enhanced security features will help to differentiate system builder
    >> software from direct OEM software as part of Microsoft's continuing
    >> efforts to curb piracy and counterfeiting. The new system builder COA
    >> label is a different shape and color than the COA label used by direct
    >> OEMs. This new COA label will continue to be a part of the individual
    >> software license for Windows® software and will be contained as part of
    >> the individual software license within the system builder pack. System
    >> builders will still be required to affix the Windows COA label to the
    >> side of the PC on which the software is being preinstalled."
    >>
    >> Customers can find more info at:
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/uk/coa.mspx
    >>
    >> And there's OEM-specific information at:
    >>
    >> http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentPage.aspx?pageid=556852
    >>

    >> Brett Roberts
    >> Microsoft NZ
    >>

    > Thanks Brett
    >
    > It just looks and feels a bit ... uummm, not manufactured by a
    > multi-national corporation.
    >
    > Cheers

    That's a good piece of feedback which I'll pass onto to the appropriate
    people in Redmond. There is a lot of science behind the design of the labels
    and the processes used to manufacture them so I suspect there will be very
    good reasons as to why they look and feel the way they do (however I don't
    know what they are at this point) :)
    Brett Roberts, Dec 22, 2005