    I know it is out subject but just in case someone was thinking of having a
    legit OS in their newly build Computer. grrrrrrrrrrrr

    Michel
    Michel Derome, Mar 2, 2005

  2. Michel Derome

    Joe Guest

    I do not understand. I just checked and the current conversion rate is
    1 US Dollar = 1.24120 Canadian Dollar

    XP pro on Newegg 137 dollars

    137 US Dollar = 170.044 Canadian Dollar

    Where do you get your figures?

    Joe

    Joe, Mar 2, 2005

  3. Michel Derome wrote:
    > I wanted to buy an OS for my second Computer I am building well let me tell
    > you that it will be Linux not a free version but not a Four Hundred Canadian
    > Dollars OS.
    >
    > I know it is out subject but just in case someone was thinking of having a
    > legit OS in their newly build Computer. grrrrrrrrrrrr
    >
    > Michel

    Not sure how you'd spend that much. But even if you go with Linux, why
    not a free one? You can download (as is true of many other flavors)
    Fedora directly from Redhat.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 2, 2005
  4. Michel Derome

    cluedweasel Guest

    On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 21:25:33 -0500, "Michel Derome"
    <> wrote:

    >I wanted to buy an OS for my second Computer I am building well let me tell
    >you that it will be Linux not a free version but not a Four Hundred Canadian
    >Dollars OS.
    >
    >I know it is out subject but just in case someone was thinking of having a
    >legit OS in their newly build Computer. grrrrrrrrrrrr

    It's $215.99 at Tigerdirect.

    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=335900&CatId=672

    Windows XP Home OEM is $134.99 from there. I'm sure there's cheaper
    about.

    BTW, if you are planning to put Linux on your new PC, pick your parts
    carefully. Some can be a pig to get working to their full potential in
    Linux. Video cards are one example. The support for Nvidia cards is
    well head of that for ATI cards.
    cluedweasel, Mar 2, 2005
  5. I am posting the link for the one that think I am lost :)

    http://www.microsoft.com/canada/pri...g=show&products=265&button1.x=43&button1.y=11

    This price came directly from Microsoft Canada.

    Michel Derome, Mar 2, 2005
  6. "Joe" <> said in news:AC9Vd.2724$:

    > I do not understand. I just checked and the current conversion rate is
    > 1 US Dollar = 1.24120 Canadian Dollar
    >
    > XP pro on Newegg 137 dollars
    >
    > 137 US Dollar = 170.044 Canadian Dollar
    >
    > Where do you get your figures?
    >
    > Joe

    He probably pulled the figure from thin air.

    Elwood P. Dowd

    > "Michel Derome" <> wrote in message
    >>I wanted to buy an OS for my second Computer I am building well let me
    >>tell
    >> you that it will be Linux not a free version but not a Four Hundred
    >> Canadian
    >> Dollars OS.
    >>
    >> I know it is out subject but just in case someone was thinking of
    >> having a legit OS in their newly build Computer. grrrrrrrrrrrr
    >>
    >> Michel

    Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
    More than 120,000 groups
    Unlimited download
    Elwood P. Dowd, Mar 2, 2005
  7. Roger thank you,

    I admit I am new at this and if it wasn't of my SB Audigy 2 Platinium even
    that machine would have drop XP grrrrr. Will check your suggestion

    Thank you
    Michel

    Michel Derome, Mar 2, 2005
  8. "cluedweasel" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 21:25:33 -0500, "Michel Derome"
    > <> wrote:
    >> Windows XP Home OEM is $134.99 from there. I'm sure there's cheaper

    > about.
    >
    > BTW, if you are planning to put Linux on your new PC, pick your parts
    > carefully. Some can be a pig to get working to their full potential in
    > Linux. Video cards are one example. The support for Nvidia cards is
    > well head of that for ATI cards.> It's $215.99 at Tigerdirect.

    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=335900&CatId=672

    > Windows XP Home OEM is $134.99 from there. I'm sure there's cheaper
    > about.

    $499.00 CAD is the Official Retail Price from Microsoft Canada Website.

    Here the link

    http://www.microsoft.com/canada/pri...g=show&products=265&button1.x=43&button1.y=11

    I know it sound irreal but it is the price that Microsoft want not wonder
    why there is so many illegal copy on the market and that it is so hard to
    build you own computer and staying legal.

    Let me tell you it was a choc for me.

    Michel

    Snip
    Michel Derome, Mar 2, 2005
  9. Nope waite for the propagation of the reply as you would have see instead of
    insulting me.

    This is news net even if I or you are broadband :).

    Michel Derome, Mar 2, 2005
  10. Howdy!

    > Nope waite for the propagation of the reply as you would have see instead

    of
    > insulting me.

    Somehow, I have a minor problem with your subject. Since the web
    site you pointed to says 298 CAN instead of 499 CAN.

    Plus, that's the volume licensing with an upgrade to the next
    version.

    Yah, it's overpriced. But it ain't 500 CAN.

    RwP
    Ralph W. Phillips, Mar 2, 2005
  11. Michel Derome

    Guest

    On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 10:38:22 -0600, "Ralph W. Phillips"
    <> wrote:

    http://www.microsoft.com/canada/pri...g=show&products=265&button1.x=43&button1.y=11
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/6lbmn

    |> > Nope waite for the propagation of the reply as you would have see instead
    |> of
    |> > insulting me.
    |>
    |> Somehow, I have a minor problem with your subject. Since the web
    |> site you pointed to says 298 CAN instead of 499 CAN.

    In his defense, yesterday it said $499 :}

    I check out other software at the time and figured I was sitting on a
    gold mine here; Win2000 goes for $449 and ages of empires $50 and the
    list goes on.

    I admit it's odd to drop that much in 12 hrs but it did.

    --
    , Mar 2, 2005
  12. Howdy,

    Ok agreed with your statement regarding $289.00 Candian but that only for
    additional license no cd or download involved
    Here the copy text:

    E85-02983 Windows XP Professional SP2 English UPG MLP NA Only
    Additional License XP Win NT 289.00

    E85-02982 Windows XP Professional SP2 English MLP NA Only
    Additional License XP Win NT 419.00

    http://www.microsoft.com/canada/pricelists/pricelists.asp?file=ERP

    N09-00477 Windows XP Home Edition English MLP NA Only Additional
    License XP Win NT 289.00
    N09-00984 Windows XP Home Edition English NA CD w/SP2 XP Win
    NT 259.00
    N09-00985 Windows XP Home Edition English NA UPG CD w/SP2 XP
    Win NT 129.00
    N09-00478 Windows XP Home Edition English UPG MLP NA Only
    Additional License XP Win NT 149.00
    N09-01294 Windows XP Home Edition English UPG NA Only CD w/SP2
    Retail Tech SKU XP Non-specific 159.00
    N09-01086 Windows XP Home Edition SP2 English MLP NA Only
    Additional License XP Win NT 289.00
    N09-01087 Windows XP Home Edition SP2 English UPG MLP NA Only
    Additional License XP Win NT 149.00
    E85-01209 Windows XP Professional English MLP NA Only Additional
    License XP Win NT 419.00
    E85-02665 Windows XP Professional English NA CD w/SP2 XP Win
    NT 429.00
    E85-02666 Windows XP Professional English NA UPG CD w/SP2 XP
    Win NT 259.00
    E85-01210 Windows XP Professional English UPG MLP NA Only
    Additional License XP Win NT 289.00
    E85-03196 Windows XP Professional English UPG NA Only CD w/SP2
    Retail Tech SKU XP Non-specific 259.00
    E85-02982 Windows XP Professional SP2 English MLP NA Only
    Additional License XP Win NT 419.00
    E85-02983 Windows XP Professional SP2 English UPG MLP NA Only
    Additional License XP Win NT 289.00

    Ok I am lost with microsoft site but somehow it is 200 dollars on the street
    for the full OEM of XP Pro

    Here a link of a Canadian site and from what I see the price vary from
    $189.00 to $245.00:

    http://www.ebridge2.com/productList.aspx?CategoryID=CA-211019

    In same site the Retail Version sell for $455.00 in the Retail Box.

    Both are the same granted on that point outside of MS Support that is almost
    irrevelant anyway unless you have a deep wallet and go by the hours instead
    of coming here and watch for the answer ;).

    And thank you for the cordial answer

    Much appreciated

    Michel

    Michel Derome, Mar 3, 2005
  13. Yep I think they read my post lol

    But if you look in my other reply I got more info on this and everyone will
    see that I wasn't bullshitting the group here.

    Thank for the research and point out.

    Michel

    Michel Derome, Mar 3, 2005
  14. Michel Derome

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Michel Derome" <> wrote:

    >I wanted to buy an OS for my second Computer I am building well let me tell
    >you that it will be Linux not a free version but not a Four Hundred Canadian
    >Dollars OS.
    >
    >I know it is out subject but just in case someone was thinking of having a
    >legit OS in their newly build Computer. grrrrrrrrrrrr
    >
    >Michel

    Your best bet would be to purchase an OEM version of Windows XP Pro
    from the store where you are purchasing the components for the
    computer. If they won't sell it to you then shop elsewhere.

    An OEM license for XP Pro in Canada should cost about $225, maybe
    less. I can provide it to you for that price provided I also sell you
    at least some item of the hardware for your computer.

    Nothing wrong with Linux as an operating system *provided* you can
    obtain the software that you want to run on the new computer in a
    Linux compatible version.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Mar 3, 2005
  15. Thank you Ron this is much appreciated I will look at that and I know you
    even if you don't know me you are a know figure on the net ;) and a
    respected one I might add.

    Michel

    Michel Derome, Mar 5, 2005