    This seems like shite to me - is there are way to prevent the pc from
    freezing like this? I know this is a small thing but it happens every so
    often and is one of those things that should not happen.

    jedmeister, Mar 26, 2006

  2. jedmeister

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "jedmeister" <> wrote in
    news:t1mVf.8635$:

    > I have both a notebook & family PC, and the notebook connects to the
    > family PC via wireless lan.
    >
    > On my notebooks desktop window, I have a shortcut to a folder on the
    > family pc. This shortcut only works of course when the family pc is
    > switched on.
    >
    > When I am using my notebook and the desktop PC is off occasionally I
    > drag desktop icons to different postions on the notebooks screen. But,
    > if I accidentally drag the icon across the shortcut to the family PC
    > folder the pointer arrow freezes for about 2 minutes . So I release
    > the mouse button and after a while a message window appears that the
    > link is unavailable.
    >
    > This seems like shite to me - is there are way to prevent the pc from
    > freezing like this? I know this is a small thing but it happens every
    > so often and is one of those things that should not happen.

    Put the shortcut into a folder.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Mar 26, 2006

  3. jedmeister

    jedmeister Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "jedmeister" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have both a notebook & family PC, and the notebook connects to the
    >> family PC via wireless lan.
    >>
    >> On my notebooks desktop window, I have a shortcut to a folder on the
    >> family pc. This shortcut only works of course when the family pc is
    >> switched on.
    >>
    >> When I am using my notebook and the desktop PC is off occasionally I
    >> drag desktop icons to different postions on the notebooks screen. But,
    >> if I accidentally drag the icon across the shortcut to the family PC
    >> folder the pointer arrow freezes for about 2 minutes . So I release
    >> the mouse button and after a while a message window appears that the
    >> link is unavailable.
    >>
    >> This seems like shite to me - is there are way to prevent the pc from
    >> freezing like this? I know this is a small thing but it happens every
    >> so often and is one of those things that should not happen.
    >>

    > Put the shortcut into a folder.
    >
    > --
    > Ciao, Dave

    Thanks, but I prefer a fix, not a workaround.

    jedmeister, Mar 26, 2006
  4. jedmeister

    ~misfit~ Guest

    jedmeister wrote:
    > "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    >> "jedmeister" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I have both a notebook & family PC, and the notebook connects to the
    >>> family PC via wireless lan.
    >>>
    >>> On my notebooks desktop window, I have a shortcut to a folder on the
    >>> family pc. This shortcut only works of course when the family pc is
    >>> switched on.
    >>>
    >>> When I am using my notebook and the desktop PC is off occasionally I
    >>> drag desktop icons to different postions on the notebooks screen.
    >>> But, if I accidentally drag the icon across the shortcut to the
    >>> family PC folder the pointer arrow freezes for about 2 minutes . So
    >>> I release the mouse button and after a while a message window
    >>> appears that the link is unavailable.
    >>>
    >>> This seems like shite to me - is there are way to prevent the pc
    >>> from freezing like this? I know this is a small thing but it
    >>> happens every so often and is one of those things that should not
    >>> happen.

    >> Put the shortcut into a folder.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ciao, Dave

    > Thanks, but I prefer a fix, not a workaround.

    Then you probably have the wrong OS. ;-)
    --
    ~Shaun~ (Been doing Windows workarounds since WFW 3.11)

    ~misfit~, Mar 26, 2006
  5. On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 19:47:33 +1200, jedmeister wrote:

    >>> When I am using my notebook and the desktop PC is off occasionally I
    >>> drag desktop icons to different postions on the notebooks screen. But,
    >>> if I accidentally drag the icon across the shortcut to the family PC
    >>> folder the pointer arrow freezes for about 2 minutes . So I release
    >>> the mouse button and after a while a message window appears that the
    >>> link is unavailable.
    >>>
    >>> This seems like shite to me - is there are way to prevent the pc from
    >>> freezing like this? I know this is a small thing but it happens every
    >>> so often and is one of those things that should not happen.

    >> Put the shortcut into a folder.

    > Thanks, but I prefer a fix, not a workaround.

    Turn the desktop PC on.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    "Vista - I wouldn't buy it with someone else's money. Then again What do I
    know, I've only been testing the dog for the last 2-3 yrs..."

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 26, 2006
  6. jedmeister

    impossible Guest

    "jedmeister" <> wrote in message

    > "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    >> "jedmeister" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I have both a notebook & family PC, and the notebook connects to
    >>> the
    >>> family PC via wireless lan.
    >>>
    >>> On my notebooks desktop window, I have a shortcut to a folder on
    >>> the
    >>> family pc. This shortcut only works of course when the family pc
    >>> is
    >>> switched on.
    >>>
    >>> When I am using my notebook and the desktop PC is off occasionally
    >>> drag desktop icons to different postions on the notebooks screen.
    >>> But,
    >>> if I accidentally drag the icon across the shortcut to the family
    >>> PC
    >>> folder the pointer arrow freezes for about 2 minutes . So I
    >>> release
    >>> the mouse button and after a while a message window appears that
    >>> the
    >>> link is unavailable.
    >>>
    >>> This seems like shite to me - is there are way to prevent the pc
    >>> from
    >>> freezing like this? I know this is a small thing but it happens
    >>> every
    >>> so often and is one of those things that should not happen.
    >>>

    >> Put the shortcut into a folder.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ciao, Dave

    > Thanks, but I prefer a fix, not a workaround.

    There's no "fix" for the problem you describe, because Window is doing
    exactly what you've asked it to -- look for a network connection to a
    file folder on a machine that's dead. Some delay is inevitable. But
    then two minutes is a very long time -- on my machine it's more like 4
    seconds. Maybe you should look into your network configuration --
    something's definitely bogged down. Of course, if you're otherwise
    happy with the way your network performs, then take Dave's suggestion
    and and put the offending shortcut into a folder where it can't
    accidently cause you grief.

    impossible, Mar 27, 2006
  7. jedmeister

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "impossible" <> wrote in

    >>> Put the shortcut into a folder.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ciao, Dave

    >> Thanks, but I prefer a fix, not a workaround.
    >>

    > There's no "fix" for the problem you describe, because Window is doing
    > exactly what you've asked it to -- look for a network connection to a
    > file folder on a machine that's dead. Some delay is inevitable. But
    > then two minutes is a very long time -- on my machine it's more like 4
    > seconds. Maybe you should look into your network configuration --
    > something's definitely bogged down. Of course, if you're otherwise
    > happy with the way your network performs, then take Dave's suggestion
    > and and put the offending shortcut into a folder where it can't
    > accidently cause you grief.

    I had a little think on this at work today while driving, and maybe you
    can adjust what windows does when it looks on network shares.
    I know you can turn off looking for network shared shares like printers
    and also tasks. This is documented at microsoft, and perhaps windows is
    bogging because it is trying to look up this info. Disable that feature
    and your explicit share will still work.

    Why don't you just map a drive to it, when you login and it is not there,
    you get nagged, but at least then it is not on your desktop at all.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Mar 27, 2006
  8. "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "impossible" <> wrote in

    >>> Thanks, but I prefer a fix, not a workaround.
    >>>

    >> There's no "fix" for the problem you describe, because Window is doing
    >> exactly what you've asked it to -- look for a network connection to a
    >> file folder on a machine that's dead. Some delay is inevitable. But
    >> then two minutes is a very long time -- on my machine it's more like 4
    >> seconds. Maybe you should look into your network configuration --
    >> something's definitely bogged down. Of course, if you're otherwise
    >> happy with the way your network performs, then take Dave's suggestion
    >> and and put the offending shortcut into a folder where it can't
    >> accidently cause you grief.
    >>

    > I had a little think on this at work today while driving, and maybe you
    > can adjust what windows does when it looks on network shares.
    > I know you can turn off looking for network shared shares like printers
    > and also tasks. This is documented at microsoft, and perhaps windows is
    > bogging because it is trying to look up this info. Disable that feature
    > and your explicit share will still work.
    >
    > Why don't you just map a drive to it, when you login and it is not there,
    > you get nagged, but at least then it is not on your desktop at all.
    >

    > --
    > Ciao, Dave

    Thanks, I'll take a look.

    I guess, I just want to setup the desktop in the way I like, and not have to
    modify my icon layout/ preferred work behaviour just because of a poor user
    interface design issue.

    In my mind, there should be no excuses for the user interface to freeze like
    this.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Mar 28, 2006