    cannot load it onto my sysytem as it halts half way through the process. Can
    anyone assist. I uninstalled Bit Defender in order to do this and now have no
    protection.
    =?Utf-8?B?Um95?=, Jun 10, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Um95?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Avast
    nod32
    etrust
    AVG
    Many commercial level from Norton, McAfee, etc.

    John Barnes, Jun 10, 2006

  3. Norton does not work on x64. Use one of the AV programs listed in John's
    reply.
    I use eTrust.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 10, 2006
  4. "John Barnes" wrote:

    > Avast
    > nod32
    > etrust
    > AVG
    > Many commercial level from Norton, McAfee, etc.
    >
    > "Roy" <> wrote in message
    > >I have joined BT internet and wish to use their free norton software. I
    > > cannot load it onto my sysytem as it halts half way through the process.
    > > Can
    > > anyone assist. I uninstalled Bit Defender in order to do this and now have
    > > no
    > > protection.

    > Dear John, many thanks for your reply. I have had a number of problems with Windows 64 - I thought that it would be better than XP but there are fewer software programs for it.

    Roy

    =?Utf-8?B?Um95?=, Jun 11, 2006
  5. "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > Norton does not work on x64. Use one of the AV programs listed in John's
    > reply.
    > I use eTrust.
    >
    > "Roy" <> wrote in message
    > >I have joined BT internet and wish to use their free norton software. I
    > > cannot load it onto my sysytem as it halts half way through the process.
    > > Can
    > > anyone assist. I uninstalled Bit Defender in order to do this and now have
    > > no
    > > protection.

    > Dear Colin, Thankyou for your reply. I guess windows 64 is not the great successor to XP I thought it would be.

    Roy

    =?Utf-8?B?Um95?=, Jun 11, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Um95?=

    John Barnes Guest

    True. May change with Vista. AVG is the only one that has both a firewall
    and A/V at reasonable prices. Before you quit x64,
    one thing you can try is to use the Program Compatability Wizard for some of
    the programs you have problems with. Won't help with any that have driver
    conflices but otherwise it can help with some 32-bit programs that otherwise
    don't install or work. Maybe waiting on Vista is right for you.

    John Barnes, Jun 11, 2006
  7. It was never intended as a successor to anything. Only as an alternative
    edition of the present XP for those with the need for more "headroom"
    because of graphics and other programs requiring immense resources.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 11, 2006
  8. Additional thought: XP Pro x64 is the alternative to XP Pro x86 in the same
    sense that XP Media Center Edition is the alternative to XP Home (for
    systems using personal entertainment hardware and software).

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 11, 2006