    What would be the purpose of turning this feature on rather then just
    leaving it off?

    Thanks.

    Sseaott, Apr 24, 2004

  2. Sseaott

    ICee Guest

    Sseaott wrote:
    > Under the power schemes tab, if you select to turn off hard disk
    > after so many minutes or hours, if you are signed on to any IM
    > programs, chat programs will the shut down of the harddrive close out
    > all of your programs that you might have left open and running?

    Any programs running will run in memory (RAM), so they will not close.

    > What would be the purpose of turning this feature on rather then just
    > leaving it off?

    Ostensibly to save wear and tear on the disk drive motor and bearings.
    However, with current technology, it's probably better to just leave it
    running.

    > Thanks.

    You might want to read this article that was just published today
    regarding whether or not to leave the computer running when not in use.
    http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/AnchorDesk/4520-7298_16-5131343.html?tag=adts
    Your shorter link is: http://makeashorterlink.com/?N24213C18

    ICee, Apr 24, 2004

  3. Sseaott

    Sseaott Guest

    Thanks, that was a cool article.

    Sseaott, Apr 24, 2004
  4. Sseaott

    ICee Guest

    Sseaott wrote:
    > Thanks, that was a cool article.

    You're welcome. After reading it myself, I set the hard drive to run
    all the time and will let the system run all the time, unless I'm not
    home.

    ICee, Apr 24, 2004