    assume they broke it!?

    Thanks for your help,
    Alex

    Alex, Jul 12, 2007

  2. Alex wrote:
    > Hi there,
    > after deinstalling Linux I wanted to remove the bootloader GRUB.
    > Hence, I started the XP repair console, and typed:
    > fixmbr c:
    > fixboot c:
    >
    > Now the system doesn't boot anymore. Error message: "Operating system
    > not found".
    > With a bootdisk it is possible to start Windows regularly and I have
    > access to all files on the HDD.
    > Is the MBR broken? How can I fix it? fixmbr and fixboot don't work. I
    > assume they broke it!?

    Have you run "Check all boot paths" under MSConfig?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 12, 2007

  3. Alex

    Alex Guest

    On 12 Jul., 13:50, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    > Alex wrote:
    > > Hi there,
    > > after deinstalling Linux I wanted to remove the bootloader GRUB.
    > > Hence, I started the XP repair console, and typed:
    > > fixmbr c:
    > > fixboot c:

    > > Now the system doesn't boot anymore. Error message: "Operating system
    > > not found".
    > > With a bootdisk it is possible to start Windows regularly and I have
    > > access to all files on the HDD.
    > > Is the MBR broken? How can I fix it? fixmbr and fixboot don't work. I
    > > assume they broke it!?

    > Have you run "Check all boot paths" under MSConfig?

    No, I think not. I entered msconfig, but I didn't "check all boot
    paths". I will try so later (I am not at my PC right now) and post the
    result. Thanks for now.

    Alex, Jul 12, 2007
  4. Alex

    Gordon Guest

    "Alex" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    > after deinstalling Linux I wanted to remove the bootloader GRUB.
    > Hence, I started the XP repair console, and typed:
    > fixmbr c:
    > fixboot c:

    Just out of interest, WHY did you use the "fixboot" command?
    The fixboot command writes a NEW partition boot sector to the system
    partition. Perhaps that is why you can't boot into Windows!
    Look here for more info:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixboot.mspx?mfr=true

    I've NEVER used that when removing a Linux dual-boot installation and my
    machine has never failed to boot properly straight back into Windows....

    Gordon, Jul 12, 2007
  5. Alex

    Gordon Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message

    > Have you run "Check all boot paths" under MSConfig?

    How can he run msconfig if the system won't boot into Windows? msconfig is a
    Windows command AFAIK....

    Gordon, Jul 12, 2007
  6. Alex

    Alex Guest

    On Jul 12, 3:54 pm, "Gordon" <> wrote:
    > "Alex" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi there,
    > > after deinstalling Linux I wanted to remove the bootloader GRUB.
    > > Hence, I started the XP repair console, and typed:
    > > fixmbr c:
    > > fixboot c:

    > Just out of interest, WHY did you use the "fixboot" command?
    > The fixboot command writes a NEW partition boot sector to the system
    > partition. Perhaps that is why you can't boot into Windows!
    > Look here for more info:http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/prodd...
    >
    > I've NEVER used that when removing a Linux dual-boot installation and my
    > machine has never failed to boot properly straight back into Windows....

    Well, I CAN start Windows XP and run it regularly - but ONLY with a
    bootdisk. I used the fixboot command in order to get rid of the
    bootloader GRUB which was installed by Linux.

    "Check all boot paths" under MSConfig tells me that everythings fine.
    But still my operation system is not found when I boot from HDD. Any
    other suggestions?

    Alex, Jul 12, 2007
  7. Alex

    Gordon Guest

    "Alex" <> wrote in message

    > Well, I CAN start Windows XP and run it regularly - but ONLY with a
    > bootdisk. I used the fixboot command in order to get rid of the
    > bootloader GRUB which was installed by Linux.

    But that's what fixmbr does......

    Gordon, Jul 12, 2007
  8. Alex

    Alex Guest

    On 12 Jul., 16:29, "Gordon" <> wrote:
    > "Alex" <> wrote in message

    > > Well, I CAN start Windows XP and run it regularly - but ONLY with a
    > > bootdisk. I used the fixboot command in order to get rid of the
    > > bootloader GRUB which was installed by Linux.

    > But that's what fixmbr does......

    No clue why it doens't work for me...

    Alex, Jul 12, 2007
  9. Alex

    Vanguard Guest

    "Gordon" wrote in message

    > "Rôgêr" wrote ...
    >>
    >> Have you run "Check all boot paths" under MSConfig?

    > How can he run msconfig if the system won't boot into Windows?
    > msconfig is a Windows command AFAIK....

    Reread the original post.

    Vanguard, Jul 12, 2007
  10. Alex

    Vanguard Guest

    "Alex" wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    > after deinstalling Linux I wanted to remove the bootloader GRUB.
    > Hence, I started the XP repair console, and typed:
    > fixmbr c:
    > fixboot c:
    >
    > Now the system doesn't boot anymore. Error message: "Operating system
    > not found".
    > With a bootdisk it is possible to start Windows regularly and I have
    > access to all files on the HDD.
    > Is the MBR broken? How can I fix it? fixmbr and fixboot don't work. I
    > assume they broke it!?

    So what is the contents of the boot.ini from the partition where is
    Windows that you are trying to start? And on which drive and in which
    partition is Windows?

    Try running 'fixmbr' without any parameters. From its help, "C:" is not
    a valid device name. Instead you are supposed to use a device name to
    identify the boot device in which you intend to overwrite its 446-byte
    bootstrap area in sector 0 (the MBR), like \Device\HardDisk0. If
    Windows is in a partiton on the first hard drive (the first physical
    hard drive found by the system BIOS) then you only need to update the
    MBR's bootstrap code on that first hard drive, so just run 'fixmbr' (no
    parameters).

    It is possible the wrong primary partition is marked as the "active"
    one. So the BIOS loads the MBR's bootstrap program which then tries to
    load the boot sector (first one) of the active-marked primary partition.
    Maybe the currently active-marked primary partition is not where you
    have Windows installed.

    Vanguard, Jul 12, 2007
  11. Alex

    Alex Guest

    On 12 Jul., 17:43, "Vanguard" <> wrote:
    > "Alex" wrote in message

    > > Hi there,
    > > after deinstalling Linux I wanted to remove the bootloader GRUB.
    > > Hence, I started the XP repair console, and typed:
    > > fixmbr c:
    > > fixboot c:

    > > Now the system doesn't boot anymore. Error message: "Operating system
    > > not found".
    > > With a bootdisk it is possible to start Windows regularly and I have
    > > access to all files on the HDD.
    > > Is the MBR broken? How can I fix it? fixmbr and fixboot don't work. I
    > > assume they broke it!?

    > So what is the contents of the boot.ini from the partition where is
    > Windows that you are trying to start? And on which drive and in which
    > partition is Windows?
    >
    > Try running 'fixmbr' without any parameters. From its help, "C:" is not
    > a valid device name. Instead you are supposed to use a device name to
    > identify the boot device in which you intend to overwrite its 446-byte
    > bootstrap area in sector 0 (the MBR), like \Device\HardDisk0. If
    > Windows is in a partiton on the first hard drive (the first physical
    > hard drive found by the system BIOS) then you only need to update the
    > MBR's bootstrap code on that first hard drive, so just run 'fixmbr' (no
    > parameters).
    >
    > It is possible the wrong primary partition is marked as the "active"
    > one. So the BIOS loads the MBR's bootstrap program which then tries to
    > load the boot sector (first one) of the active-marked primary partition.
    > Maybe the currently active-marked primary partition is not where you
    > have Windows installed.

    Thanks a lot guys. But the problem is solved. I wanted to install the
    XP repair (overwrite existing XP). Then the installer told me that he
    will delete user accounts etc. So I quit the installation. Suddenly it
    works. Seems like then the MBR was rewritten in a correct way... I am
    happy again :)

    Alex, Jul 12, 2007
  12. Alex wrote:
    > On 12 Jul., 17:43, "Vanguard" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Alex" wrote in message

    >>>Hi there,
    >>>after deinstalling Linux I wanted to remove the bootloader GRUB.
    >>>Hence, I started the XP repair console, and typed:
    >>>fixmbr c:
    >>>fixboot c:

    >>>Now the system doesn't boot anymore. Error message: "Operating system
    >>>not found".
    >>>With a bootdisk it is possible to start Windows regularly and I have
    >>>access to all files on the HDD.
    >>>Is the MBR broken? How can I fix it? fixmbr and fixboot don't work. I
    >>>assume they broke it!?

    >>So what is the contents of the boot.ini from the partition where is
    >>Windows that you are trying to start? And on which drive and in which
    >>partition is Windows?
    >>
    >>Try running 'fixmbr' without any parameters. From its help, "C:" is not
    >>a valid device name. Instead you are supposed to use a device name to
    >>identify the boot device in which you intend to overwrite its 446-byte
    >>bootstrap area in sector 0 (the MBR), like \Device\HardDisk0. If
    >>Windows is in a partiton on the first hard drive (the first physical
    >>hard drive found by the system BIOS) then you only need to update the
    >>MBR's bootstrap code on that first hard drive, so just run 'fixmbr' (no
    >>parameters).
    >>
    >>It is possible the wrong primary partition is marked as the "active"
    >>one. So the BIOS loads the MBR's bootstrap program which then tries to
    >>load the boot sector (first one) of the active-marked primary partition.
    >>Maybe the currently active-marked primary partition is not where you
    >>have Windows installed.

    > Thanks a lot guys. But the problem is solved. I wanted to install the
    > XP repair (overwrite existing XP). Then the installer told me that he
    > will delete user accounts etc. So I quit the installation. Suddenly it
    > works. Seems like then the MBR was rewritten in a correct way... I am
    > happy again :)

    I'm glad we could solve your problem.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 12, 2007
  13. Alex

    Gordon Guest

    "Alex" <> wrote in message

    > Thanks a lot guys. But the problem is solved. I wanted to install the
    > XP repair (overwrite existing XP). Then the installer told me that he
    > will delete user accounts etc. So I quit the installation. Suddenly it
    > works. Seems like then the MBR was rewritten in a correct way... I am
    > happy again :)

    That's great - next time just try the "fixmbr" command on its own - that's
    always worked for me....

    Gordon, Jul 12, 2007
  14. Alex

    Vanguard Guest

    "Alex" wrote in message

    > "Vanguard" wrote:
    >>
    >> "Alex" wrote ...
    >>>
    >>> Hi there,
    >>> after deinstalling Linux I wanted to remove the bootloader GRUB.
    >>> Hence, I started the XP repair console, and typed:
    >>> fixmbr c:
    >>> fixboot c:
    >>>
    >>> Now the system doesn't boot anymore. Error message: "Operating
    >>> system
    >>> not found".
    >>> With a bootdisk it is possible to start Windows regularly and I have
    >>> access to all files on the HDD.
    >>> Is the MBR broken? How can I fix it? fixmbr and fixboot don't work.
    >>> assume they broke it!?

    >> Try running 'fixmbr' without any parameters. From its help, "C:" is
    >> not
    >> a valid device name. Instead you are supposed to use a device name
    >> identify the boot device in which you intend to overwrite its
    >> 446-byte
    >> bootstrap area in sector 0 (the MBR), like \Device\HardDisk0. If
    >> Windows is in a partiton on the first hard drive (the first physical
    >> hard drive found by the system BIOS) then you only need to update the
    >> MBR's bootstrap code on that first hard drive, so just run 'fixmbr'
    >> (no
    >> parameters).

    > Thanks a lot guys. But the problem is solved. I wanted to install the
    > XP repair (overwrite existing XP). Then the installer told me that he
    > will delete user accounts etc. So I quit the installation. Suddenly it
    > works. Seems like then the MBR was rewritten in a correct way... I am
    > happy again :)

    Just to summarize my prior post, the reason "fixmbr c:" is not valid is
    that the MBR bootstrap is not inside any partition (which then gets a
    drive letter). The MBR is sector 0 and that sector (with its track) is
    not included in any partition. That's why you have to specify a device
    identifier rather than a drive letter.

    Even a lazy dog when kicked long enough will eventually get up and move.
    Just don't be surprised when it bites you as a result. It's great your
    "fix" worked but obviously the state of change is unknown; however, it
    ain't broke no more, don't fix it.

    Vanguard, Jul 12, 2007