Windows XP OEM & Windows XP - difference?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by mentalguy2004, Sep 27, 2004.

  1. what is the actual difference between WinXP Home OEM and WinXP Home as it is
    much cheaper to buy new.

    mentalguy2004, Sep 27, 2004

  2. mentalguy2004

    Slacker Guest

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 19:01:02 GMT, mentalguy2004 <> wrote:

    > what is the actual difference between WinXP Home OEM and WinXP Home as
    > it is
    > much cheaper to buy new.

    When I purchased my XP Pro OEM cd, it came without any manuals and in a
    plain brown box, no fancy pakaging or purdy pictures.

    --
    Slacker

    Slacker, Sep 27, 2004

  3. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Mon,
    27 Sep 2004 19:01:02 GMT, "mentalguy2004" <> screamed
    from behind the mulberry bush:

    >what is the actual difference between WinXP Home OEM and WinXP Home as it is
    >much cheaper to buy new.

    There is no difference in the software. There is a difference in the
    way tech support is handled. If you buy the full retail version of XP
    Home, you get so many days of tech support from MS (whatever that may
    be worth.) The OEM version is supposed to be provided by the Original
    Equipment Manufacturer. Since you are just buying the software and not
    the hardware, forget about any tech support.

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Sep 27, 2004
  4. The OEM version is cheaper because it is only meant to be installed with the
    original machine (or major hardware package).
    Spiker.

    michael davis, Sep 27, 2004
  5. mentalguy2004

    foolinyu Guest

    Do you get the product key with the OEM version?

    I read somewhere you could not upgrade the OEM when the new Windows come
    out. Am I wrong?

    foolinyu, Sep 27, 2004
  6. mentalguy2004

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Product Key, yes. CD, maybe. I have CDs, so I buy only the OEM license,
    which is usually even cheaper.

    As for upgrading, yes, you will be able to upgrade when the next version
    comes out. It's no different than buying a PC with XP preinstalled on it,
    then upgrading to the next version.

    Legally, the OEM license is not supposed to be sold without hardware. But,
    the *amount* of hardware is not part of the license. For instance, I've
    bought OEM versions with a memory DIMM, or a mouse, or whatever. One was a
    $5 add-on parallel port card <g>. Some companies will sell the OEM without
    hardware - but that's their problem.

    >| Do you get the product key with the OEM version?
    >|
    >| I read somewhere you could not upgrade the OEM when the new Windows
    >| come out. Am I wrong?
    >|

    >| "michael davis" <> wrote in message
    >| > The OEM version is cheaper because it is only meant to be
    >| > installed with the original machine (or major hardware package).
    >| > Spiker.
    >| >
    >| > "Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor" <> wrote
    >| > in message news:...

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Sep 27, 2004
  7. mentalguy2004

    foolinyu Guest

    Thanks Toolman. So many of those sites look like scams so where could I get
    a legal version of OEM XP?

    foolinyu, Sep 28, 2004
  8. mentalguy2004

    Ron Martell Guest

    "mentalguy2004" <> wrote:

    >what is the actual difference between WinXP Home OEM and WinXP Home as it is
    >much cheaper to buy new.

    There are licensing differences but no difference in the installed
    operating system.

    The licensing differences include:
    1. OEM versions cannot be used to upgrade an existing previous
    version of Windows (Windows 98 or Windows Me).
    2. OEM licenses do not include any free support from Microsoft. All
    direct support is provided by the OEM who sold the license.
    3. OEM software warranty is through the OEM and not Microsoft. So
    any refunds, replacements of defective/broken CDs, etc. must come from
    the OEM.
    4. OEM licenses are permanently tied to the first computer that they
    are installed on and cannot be legitimately transferred to another
    computer under any circumstances, even if the original computer is
    stolen, destroyed, or scrapped. OEM licenses also cannot be
    legitimately sold to anyone else, except as part of a "package deal"
    that includes the computer that the license is installed on. Retail
    licenses belong to the purchaser, and can be moved from computer to
    computer to computer, provided that the license is only ever installed
    on a single computer at any given point in time. Retail licenses can
    also be sold by the purchaser, provided it has been completely removed
    from the computer that it was installed on.

    Hope this explains the situation.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Sep 28, 2004
  9. mentalguy2004

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Well, "you pays your money, you takes your chances"...I don't recall where I
    purchased the last time(s), but I've never been burned on these. I've bought
    from ads posted on www.pricewatch.com mostly. Be sure you have access to an
    OEM CD, or buy your software with the CD instead of a license only. If you
    buy a license only, and have an "upgrade" CD, it won't install...the OEM
    activation key must match the OEM media.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Sep 28, 2004
  10. mentalguy2004

    Dan Evans Guest

    "mentalguy2004" <> wrote in message
    > what is the actual difference between WinXP Home OEM and WinXP Home as it

    is
    > much cheaper to buy new.

    Retail includes, or at least it did - I have a feeling they still sting you
    with a charge, support from Miscrosoft, OEM doesn't. If you have a problem
    that can't be fixed and you have an OEM version your tech support is from
    the OEM, which in this case would be you.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Sep 28, 2004