Windows XP, numerical names in folders not staying in order - HELP

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mel, Aug 17, 2003.

  1. Mel

    Mel Guest

    I am using Windows XP and suddenly for no reason at all my new folders I
    am making to store digital camera photo's (also for other files so it
    is not just .jpgs .gifs or .bmps) will not stay in order

    Until a month ago I could make a new folder and have it in
    Photo 1
    Photo 2
    Photo 3
    Photo 4
    Photo 5
    Photo 6
    Photo 7
    Photo 8
    Photo 9
    Photo 10
    Photo 11 and so on to say " Photo 200"

    now it seems to always have them, no matter what I do

    Photo 1
    Photo 10
    Phtot 100
    Photo 101

    My nero will burn the photo's also in this order.

    I want it back to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ......

    please somebody help me.

    What have I done, what have I changed? how do I get it back.

    I have tried sort, name, etc

    it is driving me nuts.

    TIA - Mel
    Mel, Aug 17, 2003

  2. Mel

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 19:01:31 +1200, Mel <> wrote:

    >I am using Windows XP and suddenly for no reason at all my new folders I
    > am making to store digital camera photo's (also for other files so it
    >is not just .jpgs .gifs or .bmps) will not stay in order
    >
    >Until a month ago I could make a new folder and have it in
    >Photo 1
    >Photo 2
    >Photo 3
    >Photo 4
    >Photo 5
    >Photo 6
    >Photo 7
    >Photo 8
    >Photo 9
    >Photo 10
    >Photo 11 and so on to say " Photo 200"
    >
    >now it seems to always have them, no matter what I do
    >
    >Photo 1
    >Photo 10
    >Phtot 100
    >Photo 101
    >
    >My nero will burn the photo's also in this order.
    >
    >I want it back to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ......
    >
    >please somebody help me.
    >
    >What have I done, what have I changed? how do I get it back.

    To my knowledge it has always done it that way. If you have less than
    a thousand, you could rename them to say:

    Photo 001
    Photo 002
    ..
    ..
    ..
    Photo 008
    Photo 009
    Photo 010
    ..
    ..
    and so on.

    The reason is that "Photo 1" is a string and so is "Photo 10". So when
    the comparison is done "Photo 1" is less than "Photo 10", but "Photo
    10" (because it starts with "Photo1" is less than "Photo 2".

    The "1", "2" and "0" etc in those strings are NOT numbers.

    Another way to think of it is to think that "a" is the first letter of
    the alphabet so replace 1 with "a", and the same for 2 = "b" etc.

    Your list then becomes:
    Photo a < was Photo 1
    Photo b < was Photo 2
    Photo h < was Photo 8
    Photo i < was Photo 9
    Photo a0 < was Photo 10
    Photo a1 < was Photo 11

    Photo a00 < was Photo 100.

    When sorted alphabetically, you get
    Photo a < was 1
    Photo a0 < was 10
    Photo a00 < was 100
    Photo a0a < was 101
    Photo a0b < was 102
    < followed by all the photos from a0c (was 103) to aii (was 199)
    Photo b < was 2
    Photo b0 < was 20
    Photo b00 < was 200

    The prime cause of the problem is that sorting is done alphabetically,
    where the digits (not the numbers but the symbols representing them)
    are tagged on the end:

    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789

    Hope that isn't too confusing...

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 17, 2003

  3. Mel

    Mel Guest

    Re: Windows XP, numerical names in folders not staying in order -HELP

    mmmm but why could i have them 1, 2, 3, 4, and so on six weeks and they
    stay like that but with whatever it is that i have done in the last
    six weeks, somehow I have changed things.

    I want it back to the way I had it previously, especially when I go to
    burn a CD using nero.

    I need to burn a CD with 635 .jpgs from our Canada trip.
    I want them in numerical order 1, 2, .... 633, 634, 635
    Six weeks ago I could do this.

    Regards; a confused "Mel"

    Mel, Aug 17, 2003
  4. "Mel" <> wrote in message
    > mmmm but why could i have them 1, 2, 3, 4, and so on six weeks and they
    > stay like that but with whatever it is that i have done in the last
    > six weeks, somehow I have changed things.
    >
    > I want it back to the way I had it previously, especially when I go to
    > burn a CD using nero.
    >
    > I need to burn a CD with 635 .jpgs from our Canada trip.
    > I want them in numerical order 1, 2, .... 633, 634, 635
    > Six weeks ago I could do this.
    >
    > Regards; a confused "Mel"

    Assuming the file creation dates are in the same order as the chronological
    order of the photo numbers, there is a way.

    Set your folder view to "Details", then click on the "Modified" heading
    until it shows the files from oldest to newest.

    Normally, however, it will default to displaying the files in the manner
    that you have mentioned.
    a quaint acquaintance, Aug 17, 2003
  5. On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 19:01:31 +1200, Mel wrote:

    > I am using Windows XP and suddenly for no reason at all my new folders I
    > am making to store digital camera photo's (also for other files so it
    > is not just .jpgs .gifs or .bmps) will not stay in order

    My guess is that it was saving the display layout as you had it. Then, for
    some reason, it had to rearrange them, and did it alphabetically as Enkidu
    described.

    My solution: rename them to:

    Photo 001
    Photo 002

    etc - except that IMHO spaces (and to a lesser extent caps) in filenames
    are evil, so they'd be

    photo001
    photo002

    etc.

    Using all the digits makes aplhabetical sorting work for numbers too. You
    just have to know how many digits to allocate in the first place (are you
    going to have more than 999 photos? more than 9999?)

    Even that, of course, gives you no clue as to what's in them, but I
    assume you have another scheme for dealing with that.

    Richard
    Richard Hector, Aug 17, 2003
  6. Mel

    Ali P Guest

    "Mel" <> wrote in message
    > I am using Windows XP and suddenly for no reason at all my new folders I
    > am making to store digital camera photo's (also for other files so it
    > is not just .jpgs .gifs or .bmps) will not stay in order
    >
    > Until a month ago I could make a new folder and have it in
    > Photo 1
    > Photo 2
    > Photo 3
    > Photo 4
    > Photo 5
    > Photo 6
    > Photo 7
    > Photo 8
    > Photo 9
    > Photo 10
    > Photo 11 and so on to say " Photo 200"
    >
    > now it seems to always have them, no matter what I do
    >
    > Photo 1
    > Photo 10
    > Phtot 100
    > Photo 101
    >
    > My nero will burn the photo's also in this order.
    >
    > I want it back to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ......
    >
    > please somebody help me.
    >
    > What have I done, what have I changed? how do I get it back.
    >
    > I have tried sort, name, etc
    >
    > it is driving me nuts.
    >
    > TIA - Mel

    TweakUI from Microsoft allows you to change the file sorting behaviour from
    'literal' to 'intuitive'.
    AL
    Ali P, Aug 17, 2003
  7. Mel

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I am using Windows XP and suddenly for no reason at all my new folders I
    > am making to store digital camera photo's (also for other files so it
    > is not just .jpgs .gifs or .bmps) will not stay in order
    >
    > Until a month ago I could make a new folder and have it in
    > Photo 1
    > Photo 2
    > Photo 3
    > Photo 4
    > Photo 5
    > Photo 6
    > Photo 7
    > Photo 8
    > Photo 9
    > Photo 10
    > Photo 11 and so on to say " Photo 200"
    >
    > now it seems to always have them, no matter what I do
    >
    > Photo 1
    > Photo 10
    > Phtot 100
    > Photo 101
    >
    > My nero will burn the photo's also in this order.
    >
    > I want it back to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ......
    >
    > please somebody help me.
    >
    > What have I done, what have I changed? how do I get it back.
    >
    > I have tried sort, name, etc
    >
    > it is driving me nuts.
    >
    > TIA - Mel

    Sort, Modified (not Sort; Name or Type)

    --
    Duncan
    T-Boy, Aug 17, 2003
  8. Mel

    Max Burke Guest

    From: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1218825,00.asp
    In previous versions of Windows, filenames are sorted text-wise,
    character by character. File1.txt, File10.txt, and File100.txt are all
    placed before File2.txt, because the digit 1 comes before the digit 2.
    Most users have grown accustomed to zero-padding sequential numbers in
    filenames-File010.txt correctly comes after File002.txt. Under Windows
    XP, though, each block of consecutive digits is treated as a number and
    sorted as such. Even without zero-padding, File10.txt comes after
    File2.txt.

    For most users, this will be a benefit, not a problem. If you're one of
    the few who have developed solutions that rely on the old order, you can
    make the Registry tweak mentioned above. Launch REGEDIT from the Start
    menu's Run dialog and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_
    MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ Currentversion\Policies\Explorer. In
    the right-hand pane, find or create a DWORD value named NoStrCmpLogical.
    Double-click it and set its data to 1 (no matter whether it's hex or
    decimal). Now Win XP will sort filenames the old way.

    Change Sort Order in Windows Explorer (All Windows) New
    Windows XP introduced a different ordering method when sorting numeric
    file listings in Windows Explorer. Instead of sorting
    character-by-character in the file name, any numeric string is now
    handled as a number.

    The above two links suggest a reg edit, however TweakUI v2.10.0.0 has
    this option to change file sorting back to the 'old' way.....
    http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/tweakui-xp.html

    --
    mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
    See Found Images at:
    Max Burke, Aug 17, 2003
  9. Mel

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > mmmm but why could i have them 1, 2, 3, 4, and so on six weeks and they
    > stay like that but with whatever it is that i have done in the last
    > six weeks, somehow I have changed things.
    >
    > I want it back to the way I had it previously, especially when I go to
    > burn a CD using nero.
    >
    > I need to burn a CD with 635 .jpgs from our Canada trip.
    > I want them in numerical order 1, 2, .... 633, 634, 635
    > Six weeks ago I could do this.
    >
    > Regards; a confused "Mel"

    Your digital camera if it follows Japanese industry standard should give
    them names with leading zeros and then all you have to do is tell XP to
    rename them the same way.
    Mainlander, Aug 18, 2003
  10. Mel

    Mel Guest

    Re: Windows XP, numerical names in folders not staying in order -HELP

    Thank you very much to everyone who has helped me - brilliant advice ...
    thanks - Mel

    Mel, Aug 18, 2003
  11. Mainlander wrote:
    > The default sort is ascii, which means 1, 10, 100, 20, 30, 40, 400, 50
    > etc. I don't see how XP would have sorted the way you describe except
    > if your pictures were called Photo 001, Photo 002, Photo 040 etc.
    >
    > This is the reason why digital cameras give their files names like
    > "DSC00019.JPG"

    Sorting by date will keep them in order as they are downloaded from the
    camera in the correct order.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 18, 2003
  12. Mel

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bhr8t0$fto$>, says...
    > Mainlander wrote:
    > > The default sort is ascii, which means 1, 10, 100, 20, 30, 40, 400, 50
    > > etc. I don't see how XP would have sorted the way you describe except
    > > if your pictures were called Photo 001, Photo 002, Photo 040 etc.
    > >
    > > This is the reason why digital cameras give their files names like
    > > "DSC00019.JPG"

    > Sorting by date will keep them in order as they are downloaded from the
    > camera in the correct order.

    Only if you don't edit them
    Mainlander, Aug 24, 2003
  13. Mainlander wrote:
    > In article <bhr8t0$fto$>,
    > says...
    >> Mainlander wrote:
    >>> The default sort is ascii, which means 1, 10, 100, 20, 30, 40, 400,
    >>> 50 etc. I don't see how XP would have sorted the way you describe
    >>> except if your pictures were called Photo 001, Photo 002, Photo 040
    >>> etc.
    >>>
    >>> This is the reason why digital cameras give their files names like
    >>> "DSC00019.JPG"

    >> Sorting by date will keep them in order as they are downloaded from
    >> the camera in the correct order.

    > Only if you don't edit them

    You can sort by creation date, can't you?

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 24, 2003
  14. Mel

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:17:46 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
    <> wrote:

    >Mainlander wrote:
    >> In article <bhr8t0$fto$>,
    >> says...

    >>> Sorting by date will keep them in order as they are downloaded from
    >>> the camera in the correct order.

    >> Only if you don't edit them

    >You can sort by creation date, can't you?

    AHA!! Microsoft has changed the way that sort works in XP compared
    with 2000. See the following.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319827

    I've lost the original post, but this seems to be related to the
    problem that the original poster had!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 24, 2003
  15. On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 17:45:42 +1200, Enkidu <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:17:46 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Mainlander wrote:
    >>> In article <bhr8t0$fto$>,
    >>> says...

    >>> Only if you don't edit them

    >>You can sort by creation date, can't you?
    >>

    >AHA!! Microsoft has changed the way that sort works in XP compared
    >with 2000. See the following.
    >
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319827
    >
    >I've lost the original post, but this seems to be related to the
    >problem that the original poster had!
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Cliff
    >--
    >
    >Signed and sealed with Great Seal of the Executive
    >Council of the Internet, by The Master of The Net.

    This was already posted by me some days back, you are a bit late..
    Robert Kramer, Aug 24, 2003
  16. Mel

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 17:45:42 +1200, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:17:46 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
    > ><> wrote:

    > >>You can sort by creation date, can't you?
    > >>

    > >AHA!! Microsoft has changed the way that sort works in XP compared
    > >with 2000. See the following.
    > >
    > >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319827
    > >
    > >I've lost the original post, but this seems to be related to the
    > >problem that the original poster had!
    > >
    > >Cheers,
    > >
    > >Cliff
    > >--
    > >
    > >Signed and sealed with Great Seal of the Executive
    > >Council of the Internet, by The Master of The Net.

    > This was already posted by me some days back, you are a bit late..

    No one takes any notice of your posts - correct (1%) or
    otherwise (99%).

    --
    Duncan
    T-Boy, Aug 24, 2003
  17. Mel

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bi9aqp$k3s$>, says...
    > Mainlander wrote:
    > > In article <bhr8t0$fto$>,
    > > says...

    > >> Sorting by date will keep them in order as they are downloaded from
    > >> the camera in the correct order.

    > > Only if you don't edit them

    > You can sort by creation date, can't you?

    Not in the version of Windows I have running here, only modified date.
    Mainlander, Aug 25, 2003
  18. Mel

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <>,
    *@*.* says...
    > In article <bi9aqp$k3s$>, says...
    > > Mainlander wrote:
    > > > In article <bhr8t0$fto$>,
    > > > says...

    > > > Only if you don't edit them

    > > You can sort by creation date, can't you?

    > Not in the version of Windows I have running here, only modified date.

    What version do you have?

    Tried right-clicking on a column?

    --
    Duncan
    T-Boy, Aug 26, 2003
  19. Mel

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <>,
    *@*.* says...
    > In article <bi9aqp$k3s$>, says...
    > > Mainlander wrote:
    > > > In article <bhr8t0$fto$>,
    > > > says...

    > > > Only if you don't edit them

    > > You can sort by creation date, can't you?

    > Not in the version of Windows I have running here, only modified date.

    What version are you running???

    --
    Duncan
    T-Boy, Aug 26, 2003