Windows XP, Multiple CD writers, Pile of crap.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by David Preece, Jun 27, 2004.

  1. David Preece

    David Preece Guest

    So we have to do a short run of duplicating CD's. Not a lot, 30, but
    enough to be a pain in the arse. I have an 8x burner and I've done a few
    when I remember I have an identical one sitting on my desk at work and
    Nero will burn to multiple burners simultaneously. So I whizz into work,
    pick it up, come back and plug it in.

    I've put it on the same cable as the other drive, one is jumpered to
    master, the other to slave. I start the machine up and the bios sees
    both drives. Sweet.

    Windows, on the other hand, has no idea WTF I'm talking about and
    complains something about drivers. Not noisily, mind you, doing that
    windows failing sliently in the background to give the impression it's
    stable thing. Hardware management is also reasonably well hidden under
    XP, as it turns out.

    So, no, I haven't got it working. And I am back to using a single burner.

    Look, it's like this: I am *trying* to not be a Microsoft hater, but
    every time I get close something stupid happens. Whether it finds a new
    way to not interoperate with something ... or blaster coming in over a
    wireless internet connection and nuking the machine at 4am ... whatever
    it is, Windows XP tries very damn hard to stop me from liking it. Or
    even tolerating it.

    Anyway, so I need to make a decision on what to do about this ... thing,
    this situation where 90% of the desktop market has a steaming pile of
    elephant crap installed instead of an operating system. You need to be
    able to support it, you do (I write communications software), but within
    this framework I to do what I can to help the rest of the world move in
    the right direction. It boils down to two things:

    * Never EVER install Windows as a server. For gods' sake, a halfway good
    complete Debian box costs less than Windows licensing costs alone. If I
    need something more feature rich - a bulletproof and supported streaming
    media server comes to mind - I'm off to the shops for an XServe.

    * Produce OSX software as well as Win32. _BUT_ put the cool features
    into OSX first and make it damn clear that the OSX version of the
    software will ALWAYS be cooler than the Win32 version. Always.

    * As a consequence of this tell the armada of people that for some
    reason keep asking me what kind of computer they should buy to get an
    Apple. Get an eMac, more specifically.

    And you know what, I know it's a drop in the bucket. I know I'm one guy,
    in one town, in New Fucking Zealand and that none of this will make a
    measurable difference to Microsoft's bottom line. But there are hundreds
    of thousands of people in the same boat and if we all start to do
    something about it we might see Steve Ballmer stopping going
    "Developers! Developers! Developers!" and instead jumping up and down
    shouting "Please! Stop! Making! Us! Look! Stupid!".

    Rant over. No doubt I'll calm down soon.

    Dave

    David Preece, Jun 27, 2004

  2. David Preece

    Alan Howard Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294652

    > this framework I to do what I can to help the rest of the world move in
    > the right direction.

    If all you're doing is spitting venomous nonsense in a New Zealand newsgroup
    then you're not doing much to help at all. Windows is a good O/S for the
    majority of users. If you want to see things improve then take a more active
    role in the MS development community. There must be something more
    productive you can do.

    Alan

    Alan Howard, Jun 27, 2004

  3. David Preece

    colinco Guest

    In article <_OoDc.4753$>,
    says...
    > Nero will burn to multiple burners simultaneously.

    So you paid for a retail Nero? Rant at Ahead maybe.

    colinco, Jun 27, 2004
  4. David Preece

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 15:24:39 +1200, Alan Howard wrote:

    > If all you're doing is spitting venomous nonsense in a New Zealand newsgroup
    > then you're not doing much to help at all.

    Trouble is it is agreat deal of truth in there, albeit wrapped up in a
    rave.

    > Windows is a good O/S for the
    > majority of users.

    So are other ones.

    > If you want to see things improve then take a more active
    > role in the MS development community.

    This implies that one/he thinks this project/OS is worthy his time.
    Which seems doubtful given the rave.

    A point to ponder, if there equal users using MS windows, Linux, Mac, etc
    any virus would soon die as it would arrive in a non life support
    environment. So the pay back for the writers would be less, would they
    bother?

    Nature shows us that diverification is a great way to battle viruses.

    Gordon, Jun 27, 2004
  5. David Preece

    a Guest

    In article <_OoDc.4753$>,
    says...
    > So we have to do a short run of duplicating CD's. Not a lot, 30, but
    > enough to be a pain in the arse. I have an 8x burner and I've done a few
    > when I remember I have an identical one sitting on my desk at work and
    > Nero will burn to multiple burners simultaneously. So I whizz into work,
    > pick it up, come back and plug it in.
    >
    > I've put it on the same cable as the other drive, one is jumpered to
    > master, the other to slave. I start the machine up and the bios sees
    > both drives. Sweet.

    Well good for you.

    > Windows, on the other hand, has no idea WTF I'm talking about and
    > complains something about drivers. Not noisily, mind you, doing that
    > windows failing sliently in the background to give the impression it's
    > stable thing. Hardware management is also reasonably well hidden under
    > XP, as it turns out.

    I have no idea what you are on about. The phrase "complains something
    about drivers" indicates that you don't want to know either. If you
    wern't so mysterious about the actaul error then maybe people could help
    you, although I realise this is actually a rant.

    > So, no, I haven't got it working. And I am back to using a single burner.
    >
    > Look, it's like this: I am *trying* to not be a Microsoft hater, but
    > every time I get close something stupid happens. Whether it finds a new
    > way to not interoperate with something ... or blaster coming in over a
    > wireless internet connection and nuking the machine at 4am ... whatever
    > it is, Windows XP tries very damn hard to stop me from liking it. Or
    > even tolerating it.

    Well you need to learn about network security.. You shouldn't need to
    like an OS, it should be largely transparent to the user. The apps are
    more important.

    > Anyway, so I need to make a decision on what to do about this ... thing,
    > this situation where 90% of the desktop market has a steaming pile of
    > elephant crap installed instead of an operating system. You need to be
    > able to support it, you do (I write communications software), but within
    > this framework I to do what I can to help the rest of the world move in
    > the right direction. It boils down to two things:
    >
    > * Never EVER install Windows as a server. For gods' sake, a halfway good
    > complete Debian box costs less than Windows licensing costs alone. If I
    > need something more feature rich - a bulletproof and supported streaming
    > media server comes to mind - I'm off to the shops for an XServe.

    Sounds fair enough. Windows Servers are too insecure.

    > * Produce OSX software as well as Win32. _BUT_ put the cool features
    > into OSX first and make it damn clear that the OSX version of the
    > software will ALWAYS be cooler than the Win32 version. Always.

    Alas, it seems that most OS X software lacks features compared to the
    Windows version. They do seem to be cooler to use though.

    > * As a consequence of this tell the armada of people that for some
    > reason keep asking me what kind of computer they should buy to get an
    > Apple. Get an eMac, more specifically.

    Yeah, but what happens is that they will probably wnat to try and use
    Windows software at some point. Also, eMacs are a pain in the arse to
    repair when the warranty runs out and they aren't fast anymore.

    > And you know what, I know it's a drop in the bucket. I know I'm one guy,
    > in one town, in New Fucking Zealand and that none of this will make a
    > measurable difference to Microsoft's bottom line. But there are hundreds
    > of thousands of people in the same boat and if we all start to do
    > something about it we might see Steve Ballmer stopping going
    > "Developers! Developers! Developers!" and instead jumping up and down
    > shouting "Please! Stop! Making! Us! Look! Stupid!".

    There are quite a few people who see through the MS FUD already. That
    video is a crack up.

    > Rant over. No doubt I'll calm down soon.

    Take your happy pills.

    a, Jun 27, 2004
  6. David Preece

    David Preece Guest

    colinco wrote:
    >>Nero will burn to multiple burners simultaneously.
    >>

    > So you paid for a retail Nero? Rant at Ahead maybe.

    Not Nero's problem. The drives don't show up in either the explorer or
    the hardware wotsit.

    Dave

    David Preece, Jun 27, 2004
  7. David Preece

    David Preece Guest

    Alan Howard wrote:
    > If all you're doing is spitting venomous nonsense

    Which bit was nonsense?

    > If you want to see things improve then take a more active
    > role in the MS development community.

    A more active role? Have you not been paying attention?

    I was going to elaborate but then....

    > There must be something more
    > productive you can do.

    You're right, there is.

    Bye.

    Dave

    David Preece, Jun 27, 2004
  8. David Preece

    David Preece Guest

    a wrote:
    >>Windows, on the other hand, has no idea WTF I'm talking about and
    >>complains something about drivers.

    > I have no idea what you are on about. The phrase "complains something
    > about drivers" indicates that you don't want to know either.

    Well, a near perfect illustration of a windows badness in one fell
    swoop. Could I copy paste the error message into google to see what's
    wrong? Nope. I am reduced to going back to the machine to see what it
    was that it was complaining about.

    Here we are. It was the "device manager" and it used to say something
    about the driver. Can't remember what and I'm not about to go through
    all the re-attaching hassle just to find out.

    > If you
    > wern't so mysterious about the actaul error then maybe people could help
    > you, although I realise this is actually a rant.

    I had given up by then. I did the math and realised that messing about
    trying to get the drive working simply wasn't worth it in terms of time
    saved. Besides, I had some spare time while I was waiting for the disks
    to burn eh?

    >>Whether it finds a new
    >>way to not interoperate with something ... or blaster coming in over a
    >>wireless internet connection and nuking the machine at 4am ... whatever
    >>it is, Windows XP tries very damn hard to stop me from liking it. Or
    >>even tolerating it.
    >>

    > Well you need to learn about network security..

    Actually what I needed to learn about was computer rental companies. We
    had rented these two laptops the preceeding day for some testing that
    needed doing at an absurd time in the morning. I.e. 4am. I, naievely,
    had assumed they would rent me a patched and generally fixed up Windows
    box. Not so, hence blaster leaping across and preventing me from working.

    But not all the things I hate about Windows are to do with network
    security. And the real killer is that I can't remember what I hate about
    Windows until I trip across it again.

    > You shouldn't need to
    > like an OS, it should be largely transparent to the user.

    I'll agree with that. Unfortunately it appears to have stood between my
    bios and Nero and had a significantly none transparent effect. If
    there's something wrong I want to know what, so I can go fix it.

    >>* Produce OSX software as well as Win32. _BUT_ put the cool features
    >>into OSX first and make it damn clear that the OSX version of the
    >>software will ALWAYS be cooler than the Win32 version. Always.
    >>

    > Alas, it seems that most OS X software lacks features compared to the
    > Windows version. They do seem to be cooler to use though.

    This is true, and I think I need to be careful to stay within the
    cultural expectations of the two usergroups. OSX software tends to be
    feature light compared to Win32 software, but easier to use. It can be a
    bit of a PITA when you need something feature heavy but don't feel like
    parting with $1000.

    Still. That's what Unix is for, eh?

    > Yeah, but what happens is that they will probably wnat to try and use
    > Windows software at some point.

    I know. Once I'm done ranting I do realise that actually the first step
    is to find the software you need to run before buying a machine.

    > Also, eMacs are a pain in the arse to
    > repair when the warranty runs out and they aren't fast anymore.

    Hmmm. The hope is that they don't need repairing. And they weren't fast
    to start with :)

    > Take your happy pills.

    Sadly illegal, but the intention is right.

    Cheers,
    Dave

    David Preece, Jun 27, 2004
  9. On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 12:47:44 +1200, David Preece <>
    wrote:

    >So we have to do a short run of duplicating CD's. Not a lot, 30, but
    >enough to be a pain in the arse. I have an 8x burner and I've done a few
    >when I remember I have an identical one sitting on my desk at work and
    >Nero will burn to multiple burners simultaneously. So I whizz into work,
    >pick it up, come back and plug it in.

    >Rant over. No doubt I'll calm down soon.
    >
    >Dave

    Did you disable the built in XP burning software..?

    The GHOST of WOGER., Jun 27, 2004
  10. On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 19:45:40 +1200, David Preece <>
    wrote:

    >colinco wrote:
    >>>Nero will burn to multiple burners simultaneously.
    >>>

    >> So you paid for a retail Nero? Rant at Ahead maybe.

    >Not Nero's problem. The drives don't show up in either the explorer or
    >the hardware wotsit.
    >
    >Dave

    Mine all do..?

    The GHOST of WOGER., Jun 27, 2004
  11. On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 19:50:09 +1200, David Preece <>
    wrote:

    >Alan Howard wrote:
    >> If all you're doing is spitting venomous nonsense

    >Which bit was nonsense?
    >
    >> If you want to see things improve then take a more active
    >> role in the MS development community.

    >A more active role? Have you not been paying attention?
    >
    >I was going to elaborate but then....
    >
    >> There must be something more
    >> productive you can do.

    >You're right, there is.
    >
    >Bye.
    >
    >Dave

    Bad workmen blame there tools..

    The GHOST of WOGER., Jun 27, 2004
  12. David Preece

    Porkster Guest

    On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 12:47:44 +1200, David Preece wrote:

    > Look, it's like this: I am *trying* to not be a Microsoft hater, but
    > every time I get close something stupid happens. Whether it finds a new
    > way to not interoperate with something ... or blaster coming in over a
    > wireless internet connection and nuking the machine at 4am ... whatever
    > it is, Windows XP tries very damn hard to stop me from liking it. Or
    > even tolerating it.

    Hypothetically, if someone had said the same thing about a burning problem
    in Linux, the linux crowd would of told you.

    Did you google the error ?

    Did you search Neros site for help ?

    Did you search MS site for help ?

    Do you have the latest Nero ?

    Since you did none of the above they would of just called you a
    clueless lame troll that has no interest in getting help or solving your
    problem, they have no interest in holding your hand.

    A friend of mine built his first pc from cheap parts found locally in
    upper hutt, it has a 2 cd writers plus a DVD burner with a seagate 80 gig
    drive.

    Windows has no problems REPEAT no problems with the 3 devices not showing
    up in the windows Explorer.

    > Rant over. No doubt I'll calm down soon.
    >
    > Dave

    Paul.

    Porkster, Jun 27, 2004
  13. David Preece

    theseus Guest

    Porkster wrote:

    > On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 12:47:44 +1200, David Preece wrote:
    >

    >> Look, it's like this: I am *trying* to not be a Microsoft hater, but
    >> every time I get close something stupid happens. Whether it finds a new
    >> way to not interoperate with something ... or blaster coming in over a
    >> wireless internet connection and nuking the machine at 4am ... whatever
    >> it is, Windows XP tries very damn hard to stop me from liking it. Or
    >> even tolerating it.
    >>

    > Hypothetically, if someone had said the same thing about a burning problem
    > in Linux, the linux crowd would of told you.

    David probably wouldn't need much help there IIRC

    theseus, Jun 27, 2004
  14. David Preece

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "a" <> wrote in message
    > In article <_OoDc.4753$>,
    > says...

    > > * Never EVER install Windows as a server. For gods' sake, a halfway good
    > > complete Debian box costs less than Windows licensing costs alone. If I
    > > need something more feature rich - a bulletproof and supported streaming
    > > media server comes to mind - I'm off to the shops for an XServe.
    > >

    > Sounds fair enough. Windows Servers are too insecure.

    Compared with what, dickhead?

    --
    Mr Scebe
    "Personally i think you're a fucking idiot"

    Mr Scebe, Jun 27, 2004
  15. David Preece

    Craig Shore Guest

    wrote:

    >I've put it on the same cable as the other drive, one is jumpered to
    >master, the other to slave. I start the machine up and the bios sees
    >both drives. Sweet.

    Unrelated to your problem sure, but I thought you weren't supposed to do this if
    you wanted to write to both of them at the same time as two IDE decives on the
    same cable can't be accessed at the same time.

    Does SATA fix this problem?

    Craig Shore, Jun 27, 2004
  16. On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 09:42:35 +1200, Craig Shore <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 12:47:44 +1200, David Preece <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I've put it on the same cable as the other drive, one is jumpered to
    >>master, the other to slave. I start the machine up and the bios sees
    >>both drives. Sweet.

    >Unrelated to your problem sure, but I thought you weren't supposed to do this if
    >you wanted to write to both of them at the same time as two IDE decives on the
    >same cable can't be accessed at the same time.

    100% Correct

    That is why all my HD are on a Raid Controler but not as raid..

    The GHOST of WOGER., Jun 27, 2004
  17. David Preece

    colinco Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Unrelated to your problem sure, but I thought you weren't supposed to do this if
    > you wanted to write to both of them at the same time as two IDE decives on the
    > same cable can't be accessed at the same time.

    you should be able to access them a lot faster than either drive can
    empty its buffer

    colinco, Jun 27, 2004
  18. In article <_OoDc.4753$>,
    says...
    > So we have to do a short run of duplicating CD's. Not a lot, 30, but
    > enough to be a pain in the arse. I have an 8x burner and I've done a few
    > when I remember I have an identical one sitting on my desk at work and
    > Nero will burn to multiple burners simultaneously. So I whizz into work,
    > pick it up, come back and plug it in.
    >
    > I've put it on the same cable as the other drive, one is jumpered to
    > master, the other to slave. I start the machine up and the bios sees
    > both drives. Sweet.
    >
    > Windows, on the other hand, has no idea WTF I'm talking about and
    > complains something about drivers. Not noisily, mind you, doing that
    > windows failing sliently in the background to give the impression it's
    > stable thing. Hardware management is also reasonably well hidden under
    > XP, as it turns out.
    >
    > So, no, I haven't got it working. And I am back to using a single burner.
    >
    > Look, it's like this: I am *trying* to not be a Microsoft hater, but
    > every time I get close something stupid happens. Whether it finds a new
    > way to not interoperate with something ... or blaster coming in over a
    > wireless internet connection and nuking the machine at 4am ... whatever
    > it is, Windows XP tries very damn hard to stop me from liking it. Or
    > even tolerating it.

    How do you make MS responsible for Blaster? Running without a firewall,
    you're asking for trouble.

    > Anyway, so I need to make a decision on what to do about this ... thing,
    > this situation where 90% of the desktop market has a steaming pile of
    > elephant crap installed instead of an operating system. You need to be
    > able to support it, you do (I write communications software), but within
    > this framework I to do what I can to help the rest of the world move in
    > the right direction. It boils down to two things:
    >
    > * Never EVER install Windows as a server. For gods' sake, a halfway good
    > complete Debian box costs less than Windows licensing costs alone. If I
    > need something more feature rich - a bulletproof and supported streaming
    > media server comes to mind - I'm off to the shops for an XServe.

    Yeah and it's really easy to get on call support for Debian isn't it?

    > * Produce OSX software as well as Win32. _BUT_ put the cool features
    > into OSX first and make it damn clear that the OSX version of the
    > software will ALWAYS be cooler than the Win32 version. Always.

    onLY if some software producer wants to throw sales away supporting a
    tiny platform exclusively.

    > * As a consequence of this tell the armada of people that for some
    > reason keep asking me what kind of computer they should buy to get an
    > Apple. Get an eMac, more specifically.
    >
    > And you know what, I know it's a drop in the bucket. I know I'm one guy,
    > in one town, in New Fucking Zealand and that none of this will make a
    > measurable difference to Microsoft's bottom line. But there are hundreds
    > of thousands of people in the same boat and if we all start to do
    > something about it we might see Steve Ballmer stopping going
    > "Developers! Developers! Developers!" and instead jumping up and down
    > shouting "Please! Stop! Making! Us! Look! Stupid!".
    >
    > Rant over. No doubt I'll calm down soon.

    Do that before you post crap to a newsgroup next time.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 28, 2004
  19. In article <56rDc.4936$>,
    says...
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294652
    >
    > > this framework I to do what I can to help the rest of the world move in
    > > the right direction.

    > If all you're doing is spitting venomous nonsense in a New Zealand newsgroup
    > then you're not doing much to help at all. Windows is a good O/S for the
    > majority of users. If you want to see things improve then take a more active
    > role in the MS development community. There must be something more
    > productive you can do.

    Damn right

    I had a couple of extremely frustrating experiences with Windows
    computers over the weekend. One was an HP with a recovery CD, we tried
    sidestepping that and going for the generic Windows install,
    unfortunately I couldn't figure out what kind of display chipset it used
    so eventually I put in the recovery CD. But the customer might not be
    able to find their Windows license certificate for it.

    That kind of problem is down to the computer manufacturer's choice to use
    cheap obscure hardware, not Microsoft.

    The other example being the XP machine that can't be browsed like the
    others can, MSBA can't even scan it. Have not figured that out as yet.

    You think Linux doesn't have any of those problems, think again. I had a
    lot of fun getting a Realtek NIC installed under Debian, and I haven't
    yet found a driver for a 3com 3C905 card that Debian will recognise.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 28, 2004
  20. David Preece

    Dogg Guest

    On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 20:02:38 +1200, David Preece
    <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >Actually what I needed to learn about was computer rental companies. We
    >had rented these two laptops the preceeding day for some testing that
    >needed doing at an absurd time in the morning. I.e. 4am. I, naievely,
    >had assumed they would rent me a patched and generally fixed up Windows
    >box. Not so, hence blaster leaping across and preventing me from working.

    <snip>

    What rental company? We rent a bit of gear occasionally and I don't
    want the same thing happening to me.

    Dogg, Jun 28, 2004