    I have tried different cables, two different locations even. All
    modems install beautifully and diagnostics is able to query the modem.
    Please someone, tell me there is a simple fix, cos I feel really dumb!
    Sting, Nov 10, 2003

  2. Sting

    cowboyz Guest

    Sting wrote:
    > Please help me!
    > I have a compaq deskpro (600mHZ, 128MB ram, 20GB) where winXP has
    > installed flawlessly. Everything works apart from the modem. I have
    > tried:
    > A supra 56i internal
    > a dynalink 1456 VQE external
    > a KTX 56k external
    >
    > all with the same results - no dial tone errors,
    > I have tried different cables, two different locations even. All
    > modems install beautifully and diagnostics is able to query the modem.
    > Please someone, tell me there is a simple fix, cos I feel really dumb!

    cable plugged into line instead of phone?
    Phone off hook?

    Check the basics. If you can query the modem then you should be able to
    dial out.
    cowboyz, Nov 10, 2003

  3. Sting

    Sting Guest

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:51:53 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >Sting wrote:
    >> Please help me!
    >> I have a compaq deskpro (600mHZ, 128MB ram, 20GB) where winXP has
    >> installed flawlessly. Everything works apart from the modem. I have
    >> tried:
    >> A supra 56i internal
    >> a dynalink 1456 VQE external
    >> a KTX 56k external
    >>
    >> all with the same results - no dial tone errors,
    >> I have tried different cables, two different locations even. All
    >> modems install beautifully and diagnostics is able to query the modem.
    >> Please someone, tell me there is a simple fix, cos I feel really dumb!

    >cable plugged into line instead of phone?
    >Phone off hook?
    >
    >Check the basics. If you can query the modem then you should be able to
    >dial out.

    I know and I have done that - eg the supra and the dynalink have only
    a line socket - thats what I'm saying, I must have missed something.
    AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGG
    Sting, Nov 10, 2003
  4. On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:45:13 +1300, Sting <> wrote:

    >Please help me!
    >I have a compaq deskpro (600mHZ, 128MB ram, 20GB) where winXP has
    >installed flawlessly. Everything works apart from the modem. I have
    >tried:
    >A supra 56i internal
    >a dynalink 1456 VQE external
    >a KTX 56k external
    >
    >all with the same results - no dial tone errors,
    >I have tried different cables, two different locations even. All
    >modems install beautifully and diagnostics is able to query the modem.
    >Please someone, tell me there is a simple fix, cos I feel really dumb!

    Check the Phone wiring and the connectors some use a different cable..
    Gregory Parker, Nov 10, 2003
  5. Sting

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Sting wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:51:53 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Sting wrote:
    >>> Please help me!
    >>> I have a compaq deskpro (600mHZ, 128MB ram, 20GB) where winXP has
    >>> installed flawlessly. Everything works apart from the modem. I have
    >>> tried:
    >>> A supra 56i internal
    >>> a dynalink 1456 VQE external
    >>> a KTX 56k external
    >>>
    >>> all with the same results - no dial tone errors,
    >>> I have tried different cables, two different locations even. All
    >>> modems install beautifully and diagnostics is able to query the
    >>> modem. Please someone, tell me there is a simple fix, cos I feel
    >>> really dumb!

    >> cable plugged into line instead of phone?
    >> Phone off hook?
    >>
    >> Check the basics. If you can query the modem then you should be
    >> able to dial out.
    >>

    > I know and I have done that - eg the supra and the dynalink have only
    > a line socket - thats what I'm saying, I must have missed something.
    > AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGG

    I assume you've beed to Compaq's site and typed in the model number of your
    PC and then clicked on the downloads link? Why did you try the drivers you
    listed? i.e. internal and external? It's either one or the other, easy to
    tell, and usually the drivers aren't interchangable.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 10, 2003
  6. Sting

    harry Guest

    "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his.desk.com> wrote in message
    > Sting wrote:

    > >> cable plugged into line instead of phone?
    > >> Phone off hook?
    > >>
    > >> Check the basics. If you can query the modem then you should be
    > >> able to dial out.
    > >>

    > > I know and I have done that - eg the supra and the dynalink have only
    > > a line socket - thats what I'm saying, I must have missed something.
    > > AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGG

    > I assume you've beed to Compaq's site and typed in the model number of

    your
    > PC and then clicked on the downloads link? Why did you try the drivers you
    > listed? i.e. internal and external? It's either one or the other, easy to
    > tell, and usually the drivers aren't interchangable.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Plug in a phone and check if you can hear a normal dial tone and not
    callminder message waiting beeps.
    Disable the check for dial tone and see if it dials, change some cables
    harry, Nov 10, 2003
  7. Sting

    Sting Guest

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 22:16:49 +1300, "harry" <> wrote:

    >"~misfit~" <~misfit~@his.desk.com> wrote in message
    >> Sting wrote:

    >> > I know and I have done that - eg the supra and the dynalink have only
    >> > a line socket - thats what I'm saying, I must have missed something.
    >> > AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGG

    >> I assume you've beed to Compaq's site and typed in the model number of

    >your
    >> PC and then clicked on the downloads link? Why did you try the drivers you
    >> listed? i.e. internal and external? It's either one or the other, easy to
    >> tell, and usually the drivers aren't interchangable.
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    >Plug in a phone and check if you can hear a normal dial tone and not
    >callminder message waiting beeps.
    >Disable the check for dial tone and see if it dials, change some cables

    I have done all of the above. Several times over. Will now go out and
    pick up a cheap XP certified modem this morning.
    Sting, Nov 10, 2003
  8. Sting

    Sting Guest

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 22:06:17 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his.desk.com>
    wrote:

    >Sting wrote:

    >>> cable plugged into line instead of phone?
    >>> Phone off hook?
    >>>
    >>> Check the basics. If you can query the modem then you should be
    >>> able to dial out.
    >>>

    >> I know and I have done that - eg the supra and the dynalink have only
    >> a line socket - thats what I'm saying, I must have missed something.
    >> AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGG

    >I assume you've beed to Compaq's site and typed in the model number of your
    >PC and then clicked on the downloads link? Why did you try the drivers you
    >listed? i.e. internal and external? It's either one or the other, easy to
    >tell, and usually the drivers aren't interchangable.

    Urrr. Firstly the comp had no modem - so I tried the ones listed
    because they are what I had lying around. Also each of the modems
    autodetects and such.
    Anyway Google tells me its a common problem. So after fiddling with a
    few modem strings I think I'll go and pick up a brand new one.
    Sting, Nov 10, 2003
  9. Sting

    John Guest

    wrote:

    >Please help me!

    try ignore dial tone...
    John, Nov 10, 2003
  10. Sting

    E. Guest

    Gregory Parker wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:45:13 +1300, Sting <> wrote:
    >

    >>Please help me!

    Country code? Regoinal settings?
    E.
    E., Nov 11, 2003
  11. Sting

    Mike Nixon Guest

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 06:05:20 GMT, "E." <> wrote:

    >Gregory Parker wrote:
    >> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:45:13 +1300, Sting <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Please help me!

    >Country code? Regoinal settings?
    >E.

    In the end I got a $34 cheapie from DSE. Took just 5 min and I was up
    and surfing, no wading the net.
    Sometimes, I need to learn when to give up. I guess in the end none of
    the three modems were XP compatible.
    Mike Nixon, Nov 11, 2003